[comp.sys.amiga] Handshake w/ dMouse problems :^

KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) (07/22/89)

Hello all,
	I've been downloading archive files from our VAX to my amiga and I've
run into some really neat problems. Here's what happens.

	I'm runnin Handshake 2.8a, DMouse 1.1 with the lineart dmouse-handler,
and ConMan. WB 1.2.

	When I'm downloading with Kermit (File type set to binary) and the
screen blanks, if the DL isn't done yet and I move the mouse...GURU.  I figure
that it's something with the lineart handler, but I don't know. I haven't tried
putting the original handler back yet.
	Another one is, if I screw up and don't get the receiving path name
right in the kermit file requester, it just locks up. The close window gadget
won't respond. ;^( The only way I can get out is reboot.

	HAs anybody seen anything like this, also? Any suggestions an what to
do. I don't like to disable dmouse, I'd like to screen to blank on some of
those long downloads. And it's a real pain to reboot because I mistyped a
pathname.

			...Tony
>-----------------------------------------------------////---------------<
|    Tony Kennedy      | Any resemblance       |     //// AMIGA          |
|   Project Engineer   | between these and my  |\\\ //// The computer    |
|    Setpoint Inc      | employers opinions is | \\\/// For the best     |
|                      | pure coincidence.     |  \\\/ of us.            |
| INTERNET : kennedam%wwps%dupont.com@relay.cs.net                       |
>------------------------------------------------------------------------<
| "Don't tie your sister up with dental floss." My girlfriend to the     |
|                                            children she's babysitting  |

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (07/23/89)

In article <20198@louie.udel.EDU> KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
| 	When I'm downloading with Kermit (File type set to binary) and the
| screen blanks, if the DL isn't done yet and I move the mouse...GURU.  I figure
| that it's something with the lineart handler, but I don't know. I haven't
| tried putting the original handler back yet.

I had lots of problems with DMouse guruing the system when "unblanking" the
screen.  I replaced it with QMouse, and the quru problem went away.  I like
some things of each program better than the other, but I definately didn't
like the crashes.

I never used the lineart-blanker-handler thingy, and I didn't tie the crashes
to Handshake, although that is possible.  I know it wasn't restricted to
downloads only.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (07/24/89)

In article <20198@louie.udel.EDU> KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
>	I'm runnin Handshake 2.8a, DMouse 1.1 with the lineart dmouse-handler,
>and ConMan. WB 1.2.
>	When I'm downloading with Kermit (File type set to binary) and the
>screen blanks, if the DL isn't done yet and I move the mouse...GURU.

This used to happen to me all the time (I had DMouse 1.0, not 1.1). My fix
was to chuck DMouse and use QMouse instead. I'm fairly certain that the
problem lies with Handshake, but I like Handshake (and I can live with
rebooting after Handshake'ing).

	fred

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/25/89)

     Neat problems?  Ok.

     Handshake 2.8a?  I have 2.12a and I thought it was the most recient.
 Simple problem here: Don't use the lineart handler.

     As for the path name problem, use the ARP file requester.  You *DO*
 have ARP.Library, don't you?!?

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

               "There is no Dark Side of the Moon...
                                     in fact it is all dark."          */

ehoogerbeets@rose.waterloo.edu (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (07/25/89)

In article <20198@louie.udel.EDU> KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
% 	I'm runnin Handshake 2.8a, DMouse 1.1 with the lineart dmouse-handler,
% and ConMan. WB 1.2.
% 	HAs anybody seen anything like this, also? Any suggestions an what to
% do. I don't like to disable dmouse, I'd like to screen to blank on some of
% those long downloads.

I've noticed this as well. I have an easier method of getting it to
guru, though: Start dmouse. Run handshake. Wait some time. When the
screen unblanks by touching the mouse, gomf will be waiting for me.

I think it has something to do with interference between dmouse and the
background task that Handshake starts up to do the blinking cursor.

Suggestions: quit dmouse and physically turn the monitor off, play a
game or something in the background (multitasking yeah!), or better yet,
use dnet.

Edwin

scotth@corp.sgi.com (Scott Henry) (07/25/89)

I am using Dmouse (the latest posted version with the lineart hack) with
Handshake 2.12a (and GOMF3.0 & WB1.3 & ARP1.3 & WShell & Arexx & MyMenu &
interlace/overscan & etc), and I haven't had any gurus traceable to Dmouse
or Handshake in a long time. PS, it's an early model 1000 w/out halfbrite.

I don't have any problems, and I have lots of handlers & processes running
out there at all times (my system is on permanently, except for the very
occasional power failure). Hmm, I always start Handshake as a WB process
from MyMenu, so it might be a CLI startup problem? Just my $0.02 worth.

---
--
      Scott Henry <scotth@corp.sgi.com>
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (07/26/89)

In article <20198@louie.udel.EDU> KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:

>	When I'm downloading with Kermit (File type set to binary) and the
>screen blanks, if the DL isn't done yet and I move the mouse...GURU.  I figure
>that it's something with the lineart handler, but I don't know. I haven't tried
>putting the original handler back yet.

	I have seen this, but I am not using the handler you mentioned
(I've got one that needs to be released before 1.4 comes out and
breaks Dmouse).  You will see the same problem with just blanking the
screen.  I not sure who to blame, but nothing else has a problem with
Dmouse...

>	HAs anybody seen anything like this, also? Any suggestions an what to
>do. I don't like to disable dmouse, I'd like to screen to blank on some of
>those long downloads. And it's a real pain to reboot because I mistyped a
>pathname.

	I don't use Handshake. I'd like to, but I got scared off when
I saw that it didn't like Dmouse. I haven't tried using the newest Dmouse
(v1.13 available RSN, just ask Matt), but I still fear that it wouldn't
work. Have you tried VLT?

---
Steve -Raz- Berry     Disclaimer: It wasn't me! I was volatilizing my esters.
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                   ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
KILOWATT: sun!kilowatt!archive-server    archive-server%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

In article <20361@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
> Simple problem here: Don't use the lineart handler.

 If it was only that simple. I have seen the GURU with only the simple
blank screen. It's somthing much more complicated.

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (07/26/89)

In article <15361@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ehoogerbeets@rose.waterloo.edu (Edwin Hoogerbeets) writes:
>In article <20198@louie.udel.EDU> KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
>% 	I'm runnin Handshake 2.8a, DMouse 1.1 with the lineart dmouse-handler,
>% and ConMan. WB 1.2.
>% 	HAs anybody seen anything like this, also? Any suggestions an what to
>% do. I don't like to disable dmouse, I'd like to screen to blank on some of
>% those long downloads.
>
>I've noticed this as well. I have an easier method of getting it to
>guru, though: Start dmouse. Run handshake. Wait some time. When the
>screen unblanks by touching the mouse, gomf will be waiting for me.

I had similar  problems with a program I was writing interacting poorly with
Dmouse 1.10.  My problem was the same as Edwin's:  Dmouse would blank the
screen, then I would move the mouse and Guru city.  Well, my program was
doing some copper list hanky panky and peaking into IntuitionBase, and I
was eventually able to fix the problem through extremely anal use
of the LockIBase() call.  Looking at the Dmouse source never revealed to me
exactly why my fix worked.

Oh, I should mention that to the best of my knowledge, my program was doing
nothing that should have caused a Guru.  I only "fixed" it because I felt
that Dmouse compatibility was important.  Turns out, though, that the new
version is "better" than the old one in other ways...

Still a little puzzled why it worked,

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/27/89)

On 25 Jul 89 17:33:51 GMT you said:
>In article <20361@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F.
> Michael Theilig) writes:
>> Simple problem here: Don't use the lineart handler.
>
> If it was only that simple. I have seen the GURU with only the simple
>blank screen. It's somthing much more complicated.

     I have been using Handshake 2.12a and DMouse 1.07 (sans lineart)
 for quite a while.  I have had NO PROBLEMS.  There must be a problem
 with the newer DMouse.  (Matt, this will look real bad to the deity
 comitte ;-)

cug@db2.CS.Concordia.CA (User Group) (07/27/89)

In article <20198@louie.udel.EDU> KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
>do. I don't like to disable dmouse, I'd like to screen to blank on some of
>those long downloads. And it's a real pain to reboot because I mistyped a
>pathname.
>
>			...Tony

Well I've never used Dmouse or Conman, but I do use Handshake with Mach II
and I've never had any problems with them. Mach II has a screen blanker
with variable time setting as well as a whole bunch of other neat things,
check it out.
                       ...Peter

) Seaman) (07/29/89)

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
< On 25 Jul 89 17:33:51 GMT you said:
< >OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
< >> Simple problem here: Don't use the lineart handler.
< >
< > If it was only that simple. I have seen the GURU with only the simple
< >blank screen. It's somthing much more complicated.
< >
< >Steve -Raz- Berry

<      I have been using Handshake 2.12a and DMouse 1.07 (sans lineart)
<  for quite a while.  I have had NO PROBLEMS.  There must be a problem
<  with the newer DMouse.  (Matt, this will look real bad to the deity
<  comitte ;-)
<
<      /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

I don't know what the problem might be, but it doesn't show up on my
2500, running dmouse 1.10, Handshake 2.12a, SetCPU 1.5 (with patches
enabled), MyMenu, VirusX 3.2, and DropCloth.  I get no Guru's from
Handshake.  I did get consistent Guru's from dmouse with the lineart
handler when bringing back the screen by pressing a key instead of moving
the mouse (in ANY screen).

) Seaman) (07/29/89)

Sorry.  My .signature got left out of my last posting.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___   qatul batlh.  qatul Huch.
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |  //__--\O/--__\\         qatul roj.

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (08/08/89)

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 89 12:06 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: Handshake w/ dMouse problems :^(
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    Well I've never used Dmouse or Conman, but I do use Handshake with Mach II
    and I've never had any problems with them. Mach II has a screen blanker
    with variable time setting as well as a whole bunch of other neat things,
    check it out.
			   ...Peter

well, based on some previous net discussion, a couple of months back I
switched from Mach II to QMouse, and found QMouse to be more reliable,
smaller, and in some ways more powerful than Mach II.  I'd encourage
everyone who can get a hold of it to try it out.  The best thing about
QMouse is what I *didn't* notice--I don't think I've ever had a problem
with qmouse interacting with another piece of software, while with Mach
II there were a couple times when I'd had to turn it off to get
something else to run (I don't recall exactly...it was a while back.)

monty kosma