[net.music] id AA00144; Thu, 23 Feb 84 10:08:44 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/23/84)

Date: Thursday, 23 Feb 1984 10:12:29-PST
From: olorin::trott  (Dale at TWO/A07, DTN:247-2146)
To: net.music
Subject: Anybody know Max Webster?

I recently (within the past year) discovered a (I'll call them progressive
rock) group called Max Webster and now find myself just about "addicted"
to the two albums I have by them. As I understand it they are from Canada
and they have done some work with Rush (who I also enjoy very much) in the
past. You may remember a rather "drawn-out" tune by Max (with a little help
from Rush) called "Battlescar" that made the rounds via radio ~2 or three
years ago.

I happen to think these guys are great and I am not aware of them attaining
any great success down here (in the U.S.A.) and find myself wondering if they
have a better following up in Canada. Anybody "up there" (or anywhere) know
anything about these guys? I would appreciate any information I can get about
them including: Are they still together? Do they have any other (I have "Mutiny
Up My Sleeve" and "Universal Juveniles") records out? Etc. Thanks.

	      - Dale -

DEC, Networks and Communications Engineering
Tewksbury, Massachusetts

UUCP   :(decvax, ucbvax, allegra)!decwrl!rhea!olorin!trott
ARPA   :decwrl!rhea!olorin!trott@su-shasta
	decwrl!rhea!olorin!trott@berkeley

firby5@yale-com.UUCP (Jim Firby) (03/25/84)

Max Webster, a fun Canadian group, no longer exists, I'm sorry to say.  The leadsinger, Kim Mitchell, left to try a solo career.  His stuff sounds just like Maxthough, if you ask me, except that it lacks Terry Watkinson's talent (he wrote
the more "mystical" stuff).  By far the best albums to have are "High Class in
Borrowed Shoes" and "A Million Vacations".  The rest pale by comparison.  They
should still be available in Canada, but I've noticed that very little
Canadian talent makes it south of the border.  Anyone else out there fans of
Nash the Slash?  Rough Trade(lead singer is Carol Pope, for all you Cerebus fans)?  The Nylons?  Bruce Cockburn?  Oh well...

                                a stranger in a real strange land,
                                             joanne