[comp.sys.amiga] Questions on AT Bridgeboard

frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov (Chris Frerking) (08/08/89)

I have recently had the misfortune of being told that I need to have a PC
compatable computer. I currently own an A2500, and would like information
on the AT Bridgeboard (I need a 286 or 386 machine). Specifically:

1. Would it be cheaper to just buy an inexpensive AT clone? (I would
prefer the Bridgeboard, as I haven't lots of desk space... but if the price
difference were too great, I could find some space.)

2. Does the AT Bridgeboard cause any problems on the A2500? Is there certain
software that won't run/hardware that won't work if the Bridgeboard is
installed?

3. How AT compatable is the Bridgeboard? (I am new to PC compatables,
and have been told that this is a question which needs to be asked) (can it
run xenix? minix? microport unix? OS/2?)

4. Does the Bridgeboard provide any graphics capability - if so, what sort?
CGA compatable? EGA compatable?
- If not, can a CGA/EGA/VGA card be plugged into the PC slots, and run
off of a separate monitor? What about using the same monitor?

5. Does the Bridgeboard have its own memory, or does it use the Amiga's memory?
If it has its own memory, how much? can it be expanded? Is extra memory added
accessable to the amiga?

6. Can the Bridgeboard use the Amiga harddrive? Can the Amiga access PC
harddrives plugged into the PC slots? What about access to the Amiga's
3.5" drives? Does the Bridgeboard come with a 5.25" disk drive? If so, can
it be mounted externally (my 5.25" drive bay is the residence of a hard-disk)?
If it does not come with a 5.25" drive, is it easy to add one?

7. Does the Bridgeboard provide its own serial/parallel ports, or does it share
them with the Amiga? If it shares them, how compatable are they? Can I plug
any piece of PC hardware into them without fear of harming the equipment?
(among other things, I need to use a scanner and OCR software on the PC)

8. Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Anything else I should
know before making a decision? I am new to PC compatables, so any info would
be useful.

Please e-mail responses to me at:
frerking@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
or frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov

If there is interest, I can post a summary of responses.

Thanks in Advance,
Chris Frerking (frerking@lll-lcc.llnl.gov)

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (08/08/89)

$
$1. Would it be cheaper to just buy an inexpensive AT clone? (I would
$prefer the Bridgeboard, as I haven't lots of desk space... but if the price
$difference were too great, I could find some space.)

It's tough to find an AT clone for less than the price of our Bridgeboard.
You MIGHT be able to, but generally the cheap clones are the large footprint
models (read `huge').

$2. Does the AT Bridgeboard cause any problems on the A2500? Is there certain
$software that won't run/hardware that won't work if the Bridgeboard is
$installed?

I have an A2500 with AT Bridgeboard installed here, and they work fine.  I
believe you cannot have more than 6Mb of Amiga RAM with the Bridgeboard
installed, which isn't a problem for most people.

$3. How AT compatable is the Bridgeboard? (I am new to PC compatables,
$and have been told that this is a question which needs to be asked) (can it
$run xenix? minix? microport unix? OS/2?)

The A2286 is an entire PC AT on a card, including processor, math coprocessor
socket, BIOS, video RAM, 1Mb system RAM, and of course, PC slots in the Amiga.
So in a word - it's very compatible.  The potential incompatibilities, which
relate to an interrrupt and a couple of memory locations that are used for
communication between AmigaDOS and MS-DOS are documented, and prevent (for
example) you having more than 1 serial card installed, and a parallel card
becomes LPT3: (I think), but I would think that with the mode command you
could make it act like an LPT1:.  I don't believe Commodore has tested OS/2
or XENIX at this time.  I see no reason why they shouldn't work, although
they may not if they want to share Amiga peripherals.

$4. Does the Bridgeboard provide any graphics capability - if so, what sort?
$CGA compatable? EGA compatable?

The Bridgeboard has RAM enough for MDA and CGA displays, which the Amiga
interprets and displays in a window or on a separate screen.  The emulation
is very good, but...

$- If not, can a CGA/EGA/VGA card be plugged into the PC slots, and run
$off of a separate monitor? What about using the same monitor?

...if you want other modes or a real MDA or CGA display, you can, yes, plug
in a video card and use that.  It may require a second monitor though.

$5. Does the Bridgeboard have its own memory, or does it use the Amiga's memory?

Yes, 1Mb, and no, although you could use Amiga's RAM disk as a DOS device.

$can it be expanded? Is extra memory added accessable to the amiga?

Yes, and no.

$6. Can the Bridgeboard use the Amiga harddrive?

Yes.  It can even boot of it.

$Can the Amiga access PC harddrives plugged into the PC slots?

Yes, you can create an Amiga partition on a PC hard drive.

In addition you can move files back and forth using supplied utilities.

$What about access to the Amiga's 3.5" drives?

Only as virtual drives, not transparently.

$Does the Bridgeboard come with a 5.25" disk drive?

Yes, high density with AT version, and low density with XT version.

$...can it be mounted externally

You might have to extend your power cable, but it's possible, yes.
Plus, you might want to get a case of some sort for the drive.

$7. Does the Bridgeboard provide its own serial/parallel ports, or does it share
$them with the Amiga?

No built in ports, but the Amiga's parallel port can be loaned to the
Bridgeboard.

$If it shares them, how compatable are they?

This is implemented at the BIOS level, so anything that goes through that
should work.  That is, software that tries to bang on hardware directly won't
work, which is why we don't allow sharing of the serial port, because no-one
goes through the BIOS to use it.

$Can I plug any piece of PC hardware into them without fear of harming the
$equipment?

Normal precautions apply.  If you want the real mccoy, just get a
multi-function card - they're cheap.

$8. Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Anything else I should
$know before making a decision? I am new to PC compatables, so any info would
$be useful.

Go see a dealer!  Try it out.

If you will be doing the majority of your work under MS-DOS, you might just
as well get a real PC, like our PC40, which is an excellent AT compatible,
with small footprint, VGA graphics, fast 40Mb hard drive, etc.

$Please e-mail responses to me at:
$frerking@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
$or frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov

Sorry to post to the net - I have no clue how to mail to that address.
	Paul.

ng) writes:
$I have recently had the misfortune of being told that I need to have a PC
$compatable computer. I currently own an A2500, and would like information
$on the AT Bridgeboard (I need a 286 or 386 machine). Specifically:
$
$1. Would it be cheaper to just buy an inexpensive AT clone? (I would
$prefer the Bridgeboard, as I haven't lots of desk space... but if the price
$difference were too great, I could find some space.)

>It's tough to find an AT clone for less than the price of our Bridgeboard.
>You MIGHT be able to, but generally the cheap clones are the large footprint
>models (read "huge').

$2. Does the AT Bridgeboard cause any problems on the A2500? Is there certain
$software that won't run/hardware that won't work if the Bridgeboard is
$installed?

>If you will be doing the majority of your work under MS-DOS, you might just
>as well get a real PC, like our PC40, which is an excellent AT compatible,
>with small footprint, VGA graphics, fast 40Mb hard drive, etc.

I own an Amiga 1000, but I have to work with COmpaq pc's all on a Novell
LAN , where I work.  I would like to suggest that if this person ever hopes of
expanding a pc-clone system beyond simple MS-DOS applications, for example, if
he forsees a need for more than 1 meg RAM, or if he would like to multi-task on
a pc-system, he should consider buying a cheap 80386 or 80386sx pc.

| (patient)  Go ahead doc, tell me the worst.                                |
| (doctor)   I'm sorry, but you have MS-DOS...                               |
| (patient)  MS-DOS??   ...Maybe I caught it from a toilet seat or something.|
| DENNIS GORRIE (LAUL AT UREGINA1.BITNET)                                    |