[comp.sys.amiga] SetCPU v1.5 patches, what are they?

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (08/01/89)

A question mostly for Dave Haynie regarding SetCPU v1.5 although it and the
response should be of general interest to the net.  (This is a repost from
two weeks ago.  Apparently the first attempt did not get through since not a
reply did I receive, not emailed nor posted.)

Could you (or somebody) be the keeper of the bugs/patches, on the net.  This
would be a running list of known bugs in Amiga supplied software and the
names of known patch programs that will fix them.  You don't have to worry
about scaring off potential buyers because we are all committed Amiga lovers
to be on this net :-).  We understand bugs can exist.  Compared to the junk
published as software today, the Amiga is basically bug-free.  Good job
Amiga engineers.

In particular, I need to know what the bug patches in SetCPU v1.5 are, so
that I know what other patch programs I can throw away.  Did you know that
with SetCPU patches installed, then PatchWB from the ARexx disk returns with
an error value of 10.  (But only if ran from the startup-sequence along with
SetCPU.)

While you're at it, maybe you or a co-worker can tell me how to get a hold of
technical update sheets to get my Amiga B2000 v4.4, A20902A, A2058, or
A2620 to their current level.  This hardware/ASIC designer long ago lost its
warranty by playing with his machine.

    Is anybody able to talk and listen to IBM hardware designers the way
    we can with Dave, Randell, Carolyn, Paul, or others I don't recall
    offhand.  The ultimate in customer support.  Only Amiga makes it possible.
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  ^k i /From: flamer@name/j <ESC> :wq
\  *        *             *  *******  /

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/08/89)

in article <627@uranus.UUCP>, esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) says:
> UUCP-Path: uunet!mimsy!rutgers!citi!itivax!abaa!esker

> (This is a repost from two weeks ago.  Apparently the first attempt did not
> get through since not a reply did I receive, not emailed nor posted.)

Or maybe because I was not "doing news" for a week (due to workload) and then
on vacation for the following week.  Or something like that....

> Could you (or somebody) be the keeper of the bugs/patches, on the net.

The Software folks here certainly have a list of known bugs, and probably a
list of patches or fixes (SetCPU can apply a fix, if it's reasonable, but most
users can't modify their ROM and require a patch of some sort).  I certainly
don't have the time to keep track of these things myself, the Software group
would certainly have their own policies on what they want to make public, but
certainly an interested 3rd party could catalog bugs and fixes, if such an
interest can be found amongst the netwatchers around here.

> In particular, I need to know what the bug patches in SetCPU v1.5 are, so
> that I know what other patch programs I can throw away.

SetCPU doesn't fix up much.  It normally changes the "Workbench" string to
"Fastbench", and adds a NoClick patch if you're running 1.3.  Optionally it
will patch the keyboard routine to work better with Cherry keyboards.  Of
course, since it can read a KickStart disk, anyone interested in more far
ranging fixes can do what they will to such a disk and then boot with that.

> Did you know that with SetCPU patches installed, then PatchWB from the
> ARexx disk returns with an error value of 10.

Yeah, both I and Bill Hawes know about this.  It's due to SetCPU changing the
Workbench string to Fastbench in a place that PatchWB is interested in locating.
This conflict can, of course, be avoided with the NOPATCH option.

> While you're at it, maybe you or a co-worker can tell me how to get a hold of
> technical update sheets to get my Amiga B2000 v4.4, A20902A, A2058, or
> A2620 to their current level.  This hardware/ASIC designer long ago lost its
> warranty by playing with his machine.

The only motherboard difference between B2000 4.4 and the latest is an extra
pullup (1k will do) on the expansion bus BAS* line.  This can be added between
pins 11 and 20 of U605 on the motherboard.  The A2620 has had no running
hardware changes since its introduction; I don't know about the others.

>     Is anybody able to talk and listen to IBM hardware designers the way
>     we can with Dave, Randell, Carolyn, Paul, or others I don't recall
>     offhand.  The ultimate in customer support.  Only Amiga makes it
>     possible.

It's nice to be appreciated!

> ---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  ^k i /From: flamer@name/j <ESC> :wq

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

In article <7561@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <627@uranus.UUCP>, esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) says:
>> Could you (or somebody) be the keeper of the bugs/patches, on the net.
>
>The Software folks here certainly have a list of known bugs, and probably a
>list of patches or fixes (SetCPU can apply a fix, if it's reasonable, but most
>users can't modify their ROM and require a patch of some sort).  I certainly
>don't have the time to keep track of these things myself, the Software group
>would certainly have their own policies on what they want to make public, but
>certainly an interested 3rd party could catalog bugs and fixes, if such an
>interest can be found amongst the netwatchers around here.

	We have a 'bugs' topic in amiga.dev on bix (and a similar one for
commercial developers in amiga.com).  "Official" developer support is done
on bix, though we try to give a hand here too (when we can find the time). :-(
These topics often include discussion, and occasionally fixes, though they
do not contain every bug that we know about (and have in our internal bugs
database).  It is pretty comprehensive, though, and I think the entirety of
that discussion is on-line for searching/perusal/downloading.

>>     Is anybody able to talk and listen to IBM hardware designers the way
>>     we can with Dave, Randell, Carolyn, Paul, or others I don't recall
>>     offhand.  The ultimate in customer support.  Only Amiga makes it
>>     possible.
>
>It's nice to be appreciated!

That it is.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"