[comp.sys.amiga] New Agnus for older B2000s

niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Marco Niese) (07/14/89)

Sorry to bother the net for this, but...

could a reliable source at Commodore (best would be Dave Haynie) give a final
statement here on the net about the New 1MB Agnus working in older (pre-rev.6)
B2000s?

At Commodore - The Netherlands, they told a friend it couldn't be done.

If I get this posting, I will send it over to them, and call back often.
If they (known to be lazy) keep on saying "no", I will write a letter to a
Dutch Amiga-magazine. The New Agnus chips are available through a few
dealers. On the net, some guys said they simply replaced them, but this is
too dangerous to try on my own.

Technical info: I have a B2000 rev. 4.4, A2058 (2MB) rev.4 and A2088 rev.3

PLEASE give some reaction, otherwise lots of Dutch B2000 owners will be left
stuck with 512kB CHIP RAM. This will give the same effect that had A -> B,
people hasitating to invest now ('What will happen when rev.7 comes out?').
or wait for the 2MB Agnus.

Thanks in advance,

| #      #  #    # |  Marco Niese                          |            ////  |
| #     #  #     # |---------------------------------------|      Just Say No |
| #    #  #      # |  There's never time to do it right,   |        To Bugs   |
| #   #  #       # |  but allways time to do it over.      |  \\\\  ////      |
| ####   ######### |                    (Meskimen's Law)   |   \\\\////       |
|    Economics     |---------------------------------------|    \\////        |
|    ('FEWEC')     |  E-Mail: niesemc@econ.vu.nl           |   A m i g a      |

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (07/18/89)

I have in my office alone, three Amiga B2000's, one withch of the following
Revs, 3.9 (original DealerKit), 4.2, 4.3, and at home two others 4.4 and 4.6.
As to the usage of the New Fat or Super Agnus (whichever you prefer) working in
these rev motherboards you should have no fear, all the ones I just mentioned
were upgreded by me with absolutely no problems at all.  I  tnink this should
answer the question once and for all.

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (07/18/89)

In message <179686@econ.vu.nl> niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Marco Niese) writes:

>Sorry to bother the net for this, but...
>could a reliable source at Commodore (best would be Dave Haynie) give a final
>statement here on the net about the New 1MB Agnus working in older (pre-rev.6)
>B2000s?

   Although I'm not Dave I'll respond anyway, I did the upgrade (rev 4.3 B2000)
   myself and no problems occured after this. We've tested on the following
   configurations: B2000 rev 4.3 > rev 6, AT/XT bridge boards, GVP equipment,
   A2620 and several other expansion boards and there was NOT A SINGLE
   problem to overcome. Everything works OK, as long as you cut the right
   trace(s) (1 extra for PAL Amiga's).

>At Commodore - The Netherlands, they told a friend it couldn't be done.

   He probaly called the info-line, thats not the right place to ask since
   its meant for simple problems like printers etc. Besides that they can't
   tell you to hack up your equipment which can do some real damage if you
   do it the wrong way. I wonder who you're going to blame when you messed up.

   As far as I know the new (SUPER/OBESE/FAT*2) agnus will be only availble
   as a spare part through your dealer, if he sells it as an upgrade you're
   lucky but C= is not offering the thing as upgrade right now.

> [ ... ]

   Writing to one of the Amiga magazines will not help you, write (or call)
   to the task-force Amiga manager and tell him your problem (this is for
   all you Dutch guys out there) concerning support and I'm sure he will
   help you out or at least give you a straight answer. There's a whole
   Amiga task-force team sitting there right now to *solve* all problems.

   I know I'll get flamed for this by some brothers, send e-mail.

-michel

       hp4nl!neabbs!amichel@uunet.uu.net | Just speaking for myself.
             reality is for those who can't afford drugs

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/18/89)

in article <274@vuecon.econ.vu.nl>, niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Marco Niese) says:

> Sorry to bother the net for this, but...

> could a reliable source at Commodore (best would be Dave Haynie) give a final
> statement here on the net about the New 1MB Agnus working in older (pre-rev.6)
> B2000s?

The 1 Meg Agnus works in all B2000s.  There are two or three jumpers to change
to install it correctly (J101 is moved, J500 is removed or cut depending on
how your board was assembled, and J102 is cut if you want to come up PAL
instead of NTSC).  The Rev 6 board _requires_ the 1 Meg Agnus for support of
refresh on it's 256K x 4 DRAMs, but it will work in every revision of the
B2000 ever shipped.

It will not work on the original A2000, which may be available in the
Netherlands as well as other parts of Europe.  The easiest way to identify
the type of motherboard in your system is to see how many RCA phono jacks
you have in the back of the machine: there are 2 on the "A" board, 3 on
the "B" board.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

root@crash.cts.com (Super user) (08/04/89)

Network Comment: to #1369 by unland@cbmvax.UUCP

You talk about the "Fat Agnus" or "Super Agnus".  Here in NJ, alot of talk
about the new Agnus uses a different name.  Since the older 512k Agnus was
called the Fat Agnus, we here call the new Agnus it's most logical derivative
of "Obese Agnus".

--Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/09/89)

in article <134@crash.cts.com>, root@crash.cts.com (Super user) says:

> Network Comment: to #1369 by unland@cbmvax.UUCP

> You talk about the "Fat Agnus" or "Super Agnus".  Here in NJ, alot of talk
> about the new Agnus uses a different name.  Since the older 512k Agnus was
> called the Fat Agnus, we here call the new Agnus it's most logical derivative
> of "Obese Agnus".

Hey, not everyone from NJ is weird!  But then, you're from North Jersey; I
live down South in the swamp.

Actually, the term "Obese Agnus" is probably the least accurate.  The original
512K Chip RAM Agnus that manages 1 meg total, as found in all A500s and A2000s
initially, was called Fat Agnus because it was basically the original 48 pin
Agnus from the A1000 with a mess of glue logic all sucked into an 84 pin
package, thus making it a "Fat" Agnus.  To call it Obese is really incorrect,
since it's not "fatter" by the original definition of "fat" than the original
Fat Agnus.  I think Commodore likes to call it Super Agnus, but I think that's
just because, for some reason, the word "Super" is in vogue among the chip
people here these days.  I always call it "1-meg Agnus" because that's the most
functional description, though I thought "Gordo Agnus" was kind of funny.