[comp.sys.amiga] Autoboot controllers

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/05/89)

In article <62142@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>Have you (or has anyone else out there) attempted to use the Pacific
>Peripherals Overdrive autoboot daughterboard together with the new Fat
>Agnus chip upgrade?  If I let the Amiga warm up for 15 minutes or so, then
>the autoboot seems to work OK.  But if I let the Amiga cool off (say
>overnight),then the autoboot fails and corrupts the partition again.
>
>When I contacted Pacific Peripherals, they told me they haven't even
>attempted to use the Overdrive with Fat Agnus yet!

I just now called Pacific Peripherals to tell them that it works for me.
	A2000 rev 4.4
	A2058 with 4 megbytes of RAM
	AmigaDOS 1.3 ROM
	Overdrive card with autoboot daughter card
	ST157N 47 megabyte hard disk

After talking to owners of other hard disk controllers, I found that some
controllers have some neat features that are not advertised.  The Overdrive
doesn't have some of these nifty features because the designer didn't know
they were out there.

I believe that all controllers will boot off of DF0: if there is a bootable
floppy there and will boot from the hard disk if DF0: is empty.

But if there is a non-bootable DOS floppy in DF0:, my system shows the
"insert Workbench 1.3" hand instead of falling back to DH0:.  Someone told
me that the A2090A controller does this right.  I can force the Overdrive
card to boot from the hard disk by holding down the left mouse button, but
this requires manual intervention.

How many autoboot disk controllers make DH0: avaliable when you boot
from floppy?  That is, being able to boot a game or an application from
its floppy and have DH0: available for reading and writing even though the
floppy has no mountlist and no mount commands in the startup-sequence.
I've heard that C-Ltd has this feature.

Any other semi-undocumented features out there?
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) (08/06/89)

RE: How many HD COntrollers can auto-mount the DH0: (rephrased)

I have the HardFrame and it does automount.  It is great when you can save your
game data into the harddrive instead of a blank floppy.  And it is a great way
to play dungeon dangon type games as you may want to save your games quite
frequently.

+---------+----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|      ///| Morris Y. L. Ng            | Usenet: morris-ng@cup.portal.com |
|     /// | Computer Science & Finance | Portal: Yuklung Morris Ng        |
|    ///  | San Jose State University  | Home  : (###)###-#### (Guess?!)  |
|\\\///   +----------------------------+----------------------------------+
| \XX/    |          "Be my Amiga!  And I will be your Amigo!"            |
+---------+---------------------------------------------------------------+

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (08/10/89)

From article <487@tardis.Tymnet.COM:, by jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith):
:
: But if there is a non-bootable DOS floppy in DF0:, my system shows the
: "insert Workbench 1.3" hand instead of falling back to DH0:.  Someone told
: me that the A2090A controller does this right.  I can force the Overdrive
: card to boot from the hard disk by holding down the left mouse button, but
: this requires manual intervention.

	My Supra system does this right also. If the floppy in DF0: is
bootable, you boot from it, if it's not a bootable floppy, you boot from
the HD.

: How many autoboot disk controllers make DH0: avaliable when you boot
: from floppy?  That is, being able to boot a game or an application from
: its floppy and have DH0: available for reading and writing even though the
: floppy has no mountlist and no mount commands in the startup-sequence.
: I've heard that C-Ltd has this feature.

	Again, this happens with the Supra also. You get the your boot
partition even when you boot on a floppy that doesn't have your HD
software in it. The only way I know to disable this is to leave the
drive powered down when booting. (My drives are external, so I can do
that...) Remember that having that partition mounted uses some memory.

: Any other semi-undocumented features out there?

	How about the fact that you can hook two machine to the same
hard drive and access the drive from both? I know the C-Ltd and Supra
both do this, and I imagine pretty much any of the SCSI controllers
should. Note that drives that have been set up for the Hardframe, Supra
or A590 can all be read interchangably also...

: --
: Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
: McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
: PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
: San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

Sentry@cup.portal.com (Marcus Hungor Tran) (08/10/89)

I have a Supra which autoboot if df0 is not a boot disk.  In addition,
it will also auto-mount i.e. if you put in a selfboot floppy, you still can
access the harddrive for saving/loading big data files.  Neeto, eh?
Price is another thing to consider if you plan on adding extra RAM.
Supra has a 2 meg board that you can mount right inside the host adapter case.
The current price for the Supra host is $185 and the 2 meg RAM is $510.
I have seen 2meg RAM expansion boards without the SCSI host for well over $700.
And yes, the Supra host has a expansion port pass-thru.