[comp.sys.amiga] Discussion topics

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/08/89)

In article <1377.AA1377@caleb>, jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
> Since I've been reading USENET (about 2 years or so), I've noticed that the
> Amiga newsgroups tend to repeat certain tangential topics every quarter or two.
> An incomplete list would include the always noisy, but rarely enlightening:
>
>      1.  Piracy arguments

.. kind of inevitable in discussions about any computer. Perhaps this calls
for comp.misc.piracy (or comp.misc.flame?)

>      2.  MCIBTYC (my computer is better than your computer) wars

.. again inevitable. Since reading usenet, and from reading amiga echo mail
a while back, I've noticed that this usually starts when somebody with an atari
says something like "Multitasking is a useless gimmick and you have interlaced
hi-res graphics", so of course everyone jumps on the bandwagon. (I remember on
the Amiga echo for the longest time there was this one twit who would post once
every couple days, in response to non-amiga poeple's questions about Amigas,
"Ask them why you need a flicker fixer")

>      3.  and lately, the "You can't buy it for cost of materials" arguments

I don't see anything wrong with this kind of discussion. I mean, we all own
Commodore computers, so we're not used to paying much above parts cost! :-)

> I've probably omitted some topics, but you get the drift.

[...]

>                                         Jim Pritchett
>
>                                         UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

I mean, we've got to talk about something. From my daily perusal of the new
messages, the Amiga newsgroup consistently gets more than any other comp.
group. Let's keep it that way! (The Amiga may not be the best computer there
is, but everything will be fine as long as we THINK it is!)

--
James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/08/89)

I think most people will agree with you, piracy and MCIBTYC (My
Computer Is Better Than Your Computer) are two subjects that don't
belong here (waste of bandwidth, etc).

Now, if someone wants to go through the biz of attempting to create
newsgroups for such things, please do.

On the other hand, maybe we should just ask Edwin to add to the
monthly posting a statement that those things aren't to be discussed
here.  Then, if anyone does post we can politely refer him/her to the
monthly posting and to alt.flame.

What do other people think?
-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/09/89)

I canceled the last message.  I got good and bad mail about it.  Let
me rephrase it:

MCIBTYC (My Computer Is Better Than Your Computer) and "Is Piracy OK?"
are two truly important topics of discussion and are very worthy of as
much net.bandwidth as possible.  The problem is that as long as those
topics are held within newsgroups such as comp.sys.amiga,
comp.sys.mac, etc they can't possibly get the full attention that they
deserve.

Maybe the solution is to create a newsgroup (or multiple newsgroups,
since there are more than one topic) specifically for those topics?
Maybe someone can come up with some other way to deal with this?
Also, to anyone that is against such an idea, consider that it would
mean less clutter in your favorite technical newsgroup.

What do others think?

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University
     Yow!  Only 30 hours until I leave for vacation!  Excusing me
		      for being so enthusiastic!

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (08/10/89)

In article <Aug.8.22.52.13.1989.12105@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> MCIBTYC (My Computer Is Better Than Your Computer) and "Is Piracy OK?"
> are two truly important topics of discussion and are very worthy of as
> much net.bandwidth as possible.
> Maybe the solution is to create a newsgroup (or multiple newsgroups,
> since there are more than one topic) specifically for those topics?

Personally, I don't think there is a solution.  A new newsgroup won't solve
the problem because no one in their right mind will subscribe to it.  The
reason these topics are such bandwidth wasters is that they are very
inflammatory.  Virtually everyone has some opinion on these subjects even
if it's just 'shut up already'.  All it takes is one posting by someone who
strikes a nerve among many people and you have a wad of responses.  Consider
the amount of new people who circulate through this group and haven't survived
the piracy or MCIBTYC discussion in the previous 6 months and many of which
undoubtably haven't read the introduction to comp.sys.amiga posting.  Add the
vast range of mental ages and degrees of detachment from reality.  Add the
ping-pong nature of the net where end-to-end responses can take a week or more.
Stir well.

Good luck.

David Albrecht