[comp.sys.amiga] B.A.D problems?

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (08/08/89)

I've heard several complaints from different postings lately about using
B.A.D. (a commercial disk optimizer) on hard drive partitions.  I have a
Quantum 80S interfaced to my A1000 via a Supra interface.  I haven't run B.A.D.
yet but plan to eventually.  Is it possible for B.A.D. to corrupt my disk or
is the problem just "it doesn't work"?  I bought it for use with my floppies
mainly but having a harddrive now I plan to use it.  Please advise.

PS I mailed ls 3.1 to anyone who asked but many bounced.  I posted it here
   since it was fairly small - I hope it is acceptable.

	"Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
John Lindwall				 johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (08/09/89)

>From: johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) Subject: B.A.D problems?
>
>I've heard several complaints from different postings lately about using
>B.A.D. (a commercial disk optimizer) on hard drive partitions.  I have a
>Quantum 80S interfaced to my A1000 via a Supra interface.  I haven't run B.A.D.
>yet but plan to eventually.  Is it possible for B.A.D. to corrupt my disk or
>is the problem just "it doesn't work"?  I bought it for use with my floppies
>mainly but having a harddrive now I plan to use it.  Please advise.

Program... Not B.A.D. , Customer Support.... Sucks Rotten Eggs, I've spent
the equivilant of a new disk in phone calls to these dweebs trying to get
an updated disk that would work on my hard drive correctly. Still no disk!
As far as the program corrupting your hard disk.. you should Always back up
your HD before using the program (says so in the instructions). If something
should happen to cause your computer to crash i.e. power glitch, failure :-(
you would most probably lose all. Otherwise the program works as promised.

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (08/10/89)

In article <472@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>I've heard several complaints from different postings lately about using
>B.A.D. (a commercial disk optimizer) on hard drive partitions.  I have a
>Quantum 80S interfaced to my A1000 via a Supra interface.  I haven't run B.A.D.
>yet but plan to eventually.  Is it possible for B.A.D. to corrupt my disk or
>is the problem just "it doesn't work"?  I bought it for use with my floppies
>mainly but having a harddrive now I plan to use it.  Please advise.

In a word, DONT.  A friend of mine has trashed his hard disk several times
with BAD, and had to repair its directory structure by hand.  He is a
tech, and knows what he is talking about.  Another friend has had similarly
bad experiences with BAD on floppies.  Although the program seems to work
at first, it almost always (he says) generates subtle errors in the disk
structure somewhere.  B.A.D. is really BAD.

>John Lindwall				 johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (08/11/89)

I have used B.A.D on my hard disk with no ill effects and it is a
Supra with a Quantum 40S.  It does take a bit of time though about 2 hours
with this setup.  Oh, and I would by Quarterback and use it before you
try it - Can't be too careful.
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim