[comp.sys.amiga] MS-DOS FileSystem

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (08/08/89)

E G L I N   A F B
                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      28-Jul-1989 09:14 CDT
                                        From:      CALVIN JONES
                                                   JONES
                                        Dept:      3200SPTW/SCX  (Plans)
                                        Tel No:    904-882-3550

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[AMIGA-RELAY@UDEL.EDU] )

Subject: MS-DOS FileSystem (LONG)

A Document is attached to this message

Paul Peterson asked if there was software available to use MS-DOS formatted
disks on the Amiga.  The following contains excerpts from a file called
MSDFS302.ZOO that was uploaded to my BBS last week.  The system appears to be
well thought out, supporting Amiga compatible 3.5", 40 track 5.25", 80 track
5.25", and hard disk partitions with standard AmigaDos commands through its
own FileSystem and mfm.device.  Filtering for end-of-lines, end-of-files, and
eight-bit character codes can be accomplished with special characters embedded
in filenames.
----8<---- Cut Here.  Ask Mommie for help if you can't use scissors ----8<----

                                 CrossDos
                          Version 3.02 READONLY
                         The MS-DOS File System

                               CONSULTRON
                    11280 Parkview, Plymouth MI  48170
        Copyright (c) 1988,1989, CONSULTRON.  All Rights Reserved.
                           Author: Leonard Poma
                           Date: July 8th, 1989

                     CrossDos  Version 3.02 READONLY

     CrossDos  is  a software product that allows the user to read and
     write  MS-DOS/PC-DOS and Atari ST formatted disks (Version 2.0 or
     higher)  directly from AmigaDOS.  It fully integrates itself into
     the  Amiga  operating system to allow your MS-DOS formatted disks
     to  be  accessed from virtually any utility or application.  This
     allows  you to access any MS-DOS file just as you would any other
     Amiga   file.    For   more   information   about  its  features,
     installation  procedures  and  other relevant facts, refer to the
     manual, CrossDOS.manual, supplied with this release.

     The  release  you  presently  have is a "READONLY" version of the
     CrossDos.   It  is a fully functional version of the product with
     all  writing  functions disabled.  If any writes are attempted to
     the  MS-DOS  disk  you  will get a "Write-Protected" requestor to
     pop-up.

     CrossDos  should  work  on ANY Amiga (500, 1000, 2000, etc.) with
     ANY  hardware  configuration.   It  also  needs  Version  1.2 (or
     higher)  of  the  Amiga operating system.  If you should have any
     problems  with  any  configuration,  let  us  know by calling the
     Technical  Support  phone  number  or  describing  the problem in
     written form.

     A  manual file is included with this "READONLY" release and it is
     called    CrossDOS.manual.    This   manual  is  written  for the
     user   who   has  purchased  the  "READ/WRITE"  version  so  that
     references  to functions that require the ability to write do not
     apply  for  this  release.   Although the use of CrossDos is very
     simple  and  user transparent, a comprehensive manual is supplied
     for technical reference.

     FILE LIST

     This  is  the  current  listing  of  the  CrossDos  Version  3.02
     READONLY release:

          c (dir)
            Mount            V1.3 compatible cmd to "mount" device
            TDPatch12        trackdisk.device patch for V1.2
            TDPatch13        trackdisk.device patch for V1.3

          L (dir)
            MSDOSFileSystem  MS-DOS file system code

          Devs (dir)
            mfm.device       mfm device driver code
            mountlist.msdosFS  partial mountlist for floppies

          LIBS (dir)
            arp.library      ARP V1.3 library

          Utilities (dir)
            cmpPATH          execution script to exercise filesystem
            devinfo          display device info
            diskchk          check disk blocks on any disk
            diskchk.info
            kill             kill handler or filesystem
            rawcopy          diskcopy MS-DOS disks btw 2 drives

       CrossDOS.manual       The manual for this product
       Install_msdosFS       execution script for auto-installation
       READ.ME               This file

     A  format  utility  called  "MFORMAT"  will  be  provided  in the
     "READ/WRITE" version but not in this "READONLY" version.

     If   you  need  to  format  an  MS-DOS  disk,  you  can  use  the
     PCUTILS/PCFORMAT  utility  found on the EXTRAS disk supplied with
     your Amiga operating system.

     A  diskcopy  utility  called  "MDISCOPY"  will be provided in the
     "READ/WRITE"  version  but  in  this "READONLY" version a utility
     called "RAWCOPY" will be used instead.

     Technical Support Line  --  (313) 459-7271  9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

----8<---- Cut Here.  Ask Mommie for help if you can't use scissors ----8<----
The file MSDFS302.ZOO is available on the Hobbit Hole, 904-243-6219,
1200-9600HST.  No fees, no hassle!

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/09/89)

In article <21224@louie.udel.EDU>, jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
[description of CrossDOS]

> The file MSDFS302.ZOO is available on the Hobbit Hole, 904-243-6219,
> 1200-9600HST.  No fees, no hassle!

No hassle? I tried four times to call and it hung up on me every time.

] Press RETURN...
(I did it)
] Hobbit Node 1 2400 8N1
*> click! *<

Nice!
--
James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,

msiskin@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (08/09/89)

WARNING!!!!  SLIGHTLY COMMERCIAL RESPONSE FOLLOWS!!
In article <421@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>In article <21224@louie.udel.EDU>, jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>[description of CrossDOS]
>
>> The file MSDFS302.ZOO is available on the Hobbit Hole, 904-243-6219,
>> 1200-9600HST.  No fees, no hassle!

The author of Cross Dos was at the MACRO (Michigan Amiga Computer Resource
Orgamization) meeting last night and announced that Cross Dos will be
ready for shipping in about 3 weeks.  The Cost will be $30 plus $3-6 shipping
and/or COD ($8 shipping in Canada and points out).  It looked great.
You can now directly read and write to Messy-DOS formatted disks on an amiga
drive.  You can run Amiga utilities on that disk too.
For information and orders contact:
      Consultron
      11280 Parkview
      Plymouth, MI 48170

*End commercial*
I have no part in Consultron or Cross-Doss except as a viewer of the demo
last night.  Your mileage may vary.  Offer void where prohibited by Law.
In other words, don't complain to me if you are disappointed.  :-)

Marc Siskin, Supervisor OCR Lab for the College of LS&A University of Michigan
Language Lab Media Production Person, etc.
Msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (08/11/89)

In article <421@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>In article <21224@louie.udel.EDU>, jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>[description of CrossDOS]
>
>> The file MSDFS302.ZOO is available on the Hobbit Hole, 904-243-6219,
>> 1200-9600HST.  No fees, no hassle!
>
>No hassle? I tried four times to call and it hung up on me every time.
>
>] Press RETURN...
>(I did it)
>] Hobbit Node 1 2400 8N1
>*> click! *<
>
>Nice!
>--
>James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
(signature deleted for some measure of brevity)

Well, *I* had an entirely different thing happen:  Using a 1200 baud
modem I called from (4 letter word ahead do *NOT* blanch! ;-) ) a Mac II
running Kermit (which does VT100 emulation) from work (Ball State University
, which kindly lets me use their equipment...  :-) )  and had NO problems
what so EVER, I logged in, 'filled out' the application, and was
INSTANTLY approved*..  Hmm...  just out of curiosity, what *TYPE* of 2400
baud modem were YOU using, I have heard that the Supra 2400 generates a
slightly 'off' 2400 baud TONE, so that could have been your problem..  then
again, the HST modem could have mistaken you for a BALROG and logged you
off in self defense!!!!  :-) :-) :-)

Sincerly a VERY satisfied Hobbit Hole user (and DEVOUT Tolkien fan!)

*Note: the Sysop 'Bilbo' was 'on' when I called, and approved me after I had
       filled out the application, he seemed like a thouroughly (sp?) nice
       guy, and even helped me FIND the Cross-dos .zoo file...  DL'ed
       the file in a little under 1 hour to boot, at 1200 Baud, that was
       D^&N good throughput!!!!!!  (was about 103,000 bytes long...)

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) (08/11/89)

Does Cross-Doss work with 3.5" 720k ms-dos disks?  The original posting
seemed to imply it only worked with 5.25" disks.

Thanks--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>