[comp.sys.amiga] Go-Amigo

circuit@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (circuit) (07/28/89)

I have been considering buying an AMIGA 2000 system through GO-AMIGO
mail order. I would like some recommendations concerning GO-AMIGO (ie
how reliable are they customer support etc...) and would it be wise to
buy my AMIGA through them (MAIL ORDER) or should I stick to a local
dealer. (which is highly overpriced)

	Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance...

Chris

--

| Chris Steinke 				|
| circuit@csd4.milw.wisc.edu			|

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (07/28/89)

In article <3581@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> circuit@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (circuit) writes:

   I would like some recommendations concerning GO-AMIGO (ie
   how reliable are they customer support etc...) and would it be wise to
   buy my AMIGA through them (MAIL ORDER)

I have ordered stuff from Go-Amigo before on a few occasions and have
never had problems with them.  I bought a TimeSaver module for my
A1000 a year or two back.  When UPS returned it to shipper because
their brain-dead delivery system required me to be home to accept the
package, Go-Amigo shipped it back to me free of charge.

However, I have never bought something as expensive as an A2000 from
them, and cannot verify what level of customer support they could
provide for a major purchase.

				--M

--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (07/31/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Jul28142606@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> In article <3581@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> circuit@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (circuit) writes:
>
>    I would like some recommendations concerning GO-AMIGO (ie
>    how reliable are they customer support etc...) and would it be wise to
>    buy my AMIGA through them (MAIL ORDER)
>

> I have ordered stuff from Go-Amigo before on a few occasions and have
> never had problems with them.  I bought a TimeSaver module for my
> A1000 a year or two back.  When UPS returned it to shipper because
> their brain-dead delivery system required me to be home to accept the
> package, Go-Amigo shipped it back to me free of charge.
>
> However, I have never bought something as expensive as an A2000 from
> them, and cannot verify what level of customer support they could
> provide for a major purchase.
>
> 				--M
>
> --
> Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
> 			portuesi@SGI.COM

Slipped Disk, a local Amiga dealer here in the Detroit area has
put up an interesting offer.  They will meet or beat any mail
order price for an Amiga that still has the factory warrenty.
The catch is, I hear, that Commodore will NOT honor the warrenty
for any machine purchased through the mail, ergo Slipped Disk has
a perfectly safe advertising gimmick here.  Rumor has they are
turning any company that is reported to them on the offer into
CBM for suitable punishment.

SO.....  If you are buying a mail order Amiga, be prepared to
ship the unit back to the same dealer if it breaks while under
warrenty as Commodore won't touch it.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (08/01/89)

In article <2844@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
>Slipped Disk, a local Amiga dealer here in the Detroit area has
>put up an interesting offer.  They will meet or beat any mail
>order price for an Amiga that still has the factory warrenty.
>The catch is, I hear, that Commodore will NOT honor the warrenty
>for any machine purchased through the mail, ergo Slipped Disk has
>a perfectly safe advertising gimmick here.

	A local shop here hung a flyer saying that they do not have to honor
the warranty on machines not purchased from an Authorized Amiga Dealer --
a postion which Commodore supports.  It sounds like Slipped Disk is saying they
will meet the price of any authorized Amiga dealer.  There are authorized
Amiga dealers (or so they say) that place ads in Amiga mags selling Amigas
by mail order.

>Rumor has they are turning any company that is reported to them on
>the offer into CBM for suitable punishment.

	Which is ...?

>SO.....  If you are buying a mail order Amiga, be prepared to
>ship the unit back to the same dealer if it breaks while under
>warrenty as Commodore won't touch it.

	Wise.  Or make sure you order it from an authorized Dealer.  But then
again, 90 days goes by pretty fast.  (Maybe we should count that time in
clock cycles?  :-)

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (08/01/89)

In article <2844@mibte.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
> Slipped Disk, a local Amiga dealer here in the Detroit area has
> put up an interesting offer.  They will meet or beat any mail
> order price for an Amiga that still has the factory warrenty.
> The catch is, I hear, that Commodore will NOT honor the warrenty
> for any machine purchased through the mail, ergo Slipped Disk has

What's this?? CBM will not honor there own warranty on there own
machine because it was bought mail-order??? What gives here?
What  difference does it make how the machine was bought? If CBM
builds a bad machine they should deal with it.

> SO.....  If you are buying a mail order Amiga, be prepared to
> ship the unit back to the same dealer if it breaks while under
> warrenty as Commodore won't touch it.

Never fails to amaze me how a company like CBM stays in business.
Mick

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (08/02/89)

)
)What's this?? CBM will not honor there own warranty on there own
)machine because it was bought mail-order??? What gives here?
)What  difference does it make how the machine was bought? If CBM
)builds a bad machine they should deal with it.

Keep your pants on, guys.  I've met a few full-service dealers that have been
disturbed by getting a large amount of warranty work on mail-order machines.
Although warranty work is reimbursed, it taxes their resources and makes it
more difficult to properly support the customers who bought from them.

I've also heard that some dealers try to discourage this, and that
they want Commodore to make some policy that would help address this
problem.  I have not heard if any policy changes were put in effect.

But let's note that James is making a pretty vague statement at
least second hand.  Michael, you jumped out of your pants to
your conclusion.  See what happens when you post stuff like this, James?

)> SO.....  If you are buying a mail order Amiga, be prepared to
)> ship the unit back to the same dealer if it breaks while under
)> warrenty as Commodore won't touch it.

Great stuff, James.  Draw a nice strong conclusion from hearsay bullshit.
Post it nationally as if you knew it to be true, so everyone can
rely on it.  There are people (like Michael) who BELIEVE things you
post.

)Never fails to amaze me how a company like CBM stays in business.
)Mick

Especially with an electronic rumour mill like usenet.

Did you hear that Sun was going to be sold to Atari?

	jimm

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (08/02/89)

In article <4291@amiga.UUCP>, jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> )What's this?? CBM will not honor there own warranty on there own
> )machine because it was bought mail-order??? What gives here?
> )What  difference does it make how the machine was bought? If CBM
> )builds a bad machine they should deal with it.
>
> Keep your pants on, guys.  I've met a few full-service dealers that have been
> disturbed by getting a large amount of warranty work on mail-order machines.
> Although warranty work is reimbursed, it taxes their resources and makes it
> more difficult to properly support the customers who bought from them.

If your a full service CBM you should be prepared to handle this kind of
stuff or be on the horn to CBM to clean up their act on reliblity.( My Dads
7 month old monitor just let go ).

> I've also heard that some dealers try to discourage this, and that
> they want Commodore to make some policy that would help address this
> problem.  I have not heard if any policy changes were put in effect.

I think that's what irked my response (lack of a policy). If there is
a policy, what is it?

> But let's note that James is making a pretty vague statement at
> least second hand.  Michael, you jumped out of your pants to
> your conclusion.  See what happens when you post stuff like this, James?

Granted, I was on a heavy sugar rush at the time.

> )> SO.....  If you are buying a mail order Amiga, be prepared to
> )> ship the unit back to the same dealer if it breaks while under
> )> warrenty as Commodore won't touch it.

I still don't like it. I would like to buy a 2000 soon. I don't want to
feel like I'm being blackmailed into paying more for the unit because
CBM won't touch the warranity because of where I choose trade.

> rely on it.  There are people (like Michael) who BELIEVE things you
> post.

I fell for the cabbage patch gag too.

> )Never fails to amaze me how a company like CBM stays in business.
> )Mick
>
>Did you hear that Sun was going to be sold to Atari?
> 	jimm
No, How much do you think they will give me for my stock?

Mick

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (08/08/89)

On 28 Jul 89 07:35:05 GMT Organization:UW-Milwaukee Computing Services Division
(Operations) you said:

>I have been considering buying an AMIGA 2000 system through GO-AMIGO
>mail order. I would like some recommendations concerning GO-AMIGO (ie
>how reliable are they customer support etc...) and would it be wise to
>buy my AMIGA through them (MAIL ORDER) or should I stick to a local
>dealer. (which is highly overpriced)
>
>	Any suggestions would be very helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance...
>

>Chris

     I bought my moniter from Go Amigo.  I chose them because a friend
 of mine had purchased a lot of stuff from them and has absolutely no
 problems.  I wasn't quite so lucky.

     I called one day and ordered the 1084.  They said 7 to ten days.
 Three weeks later, I called them back to find out where my monitor
 was (I was using a C64 monitor in B/W).  They said that my credit
 card says 'Ack!'.  My Visa had plenty of room.  I ordered again and
 called back a few times to make sure it actually got sent.

     10 days or so later I get a nice package.  A 1080 monitor.
 I got back on the phone to talk about the slight mix-up.  I wanted
 a 1084.  They told me that this was impossible.  They don't sell
 1080 monitors.  Then they asked a beautey of a question:  "What makes
 you think it is a 1080?"

     They told me to send the monitor back and will send out a 1084
 upon reciept.  The 7 to 10 days had turned into a month and a half.
 I told them that I wanted them to send me the 1084 and I will send
 the 1080 when I recieved the 1084.  And I wanted a call tag.  I wasn't
 going to pay for shipping as they suggested.

     They told me flat out that this wasn't going to happen.  They
 suggested sending me some EA demo disks (or whatever).  I agreed.
 Over a month later I called them and asked where my compensation was.
 This time I got a mouse mat and a flicker-buster.  I actuall *GOT*
 this.

     I am pleased with the flicker-buster thing and the mouse mat,
 but I really wanted the 1084.  I got the monitor about a year ago,
 and it is dated September, 1985.

     I haven't bought anything from them again.  Then again, I haven't
 bought anything from mail order again.

>--
>
>| Chris Steinke 				|
>| circuit@csd4.milw.wisc.edu			|
>| darce@ai.ai.mit.edu				|

     If this wasn't usefull, I hope that it was entertaining ...

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

               "There is no Dark Side of the Moon...
                                     in fact it is all dark."          */

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/08/89)

In article <21227@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

	10 days or so later I get a nice package.  A 1080 monitor.
	[horror story deleted]

	I am pleased with the flicker-buster thing and the mouse mat,
    but I really wanted the 1084.  I got the monitor about a year ago,
    and it is dated September, 1985.

Do you have a good reason for preferring the 1084 over the 1080?  The
1080 is a much nicer monitor than the 1084, and over the past year or
two this newsgroup has been averaging about one 1084 horror story per
month (dead monitors, arcing, fire and brimstone shooting out the
back, etc. etc.).  I've had my 1080 since fall of 1986 with no
problems whatsoever.

Note that these comments do not apply to the 1084-S, which is really a
stereo version of the 1080 that happens to go under the 1084 name.

				--M

--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

rob@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Robert Oyung) (08/08/89)

/ hp-ses:comp.sys.amiga / admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) /  6:09 pm  Jul 31, 1989 /
In article <2844@mibte.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:

   [...edited...]

       > The catch is, I hear, that Commodore will NOT honor the warrenty
       > for any machine purchased through the mail, ergo Slipped Disk has

       What's this?? CBM will not honor there own warranty on there own
       machine because it was bought mail-order??? What gives here?
       What  difference does it make how the machine was bought? If CBM
       builds a bad machine they should deal with it.

       > SO.....  If you are buying a mail order Amiga, be prepared to
       > ship the unit back to the same dealer if it breaks while under
       > warrenty as Commodore won't touch it.

       Never fails to amaze me how a company like CBM stays in business.
   Mick

Not only will they not honor their own warranty because it was bought
mail-order, the 3 San Francisco Bay Area dealers I have called are very
hessitant about doing warranty service on any equiptment NOT bought from
the specific dealer!  I bought my Amiga 2500 system from a "discounter" at
a show and needed some warranty work done on the monitor but they all say
very strongly:  "Bring it back to where you got it."  The reasons I was
given were:

    1) Lots of paper work to fill out
    2) Only partial reimbursment
    3) Reimbursment takes 3-4 months
    4) You can talk to the manager tomorrow

This is not a flame against Commodore but rather a warning about low-price
mail order/far away dealers.  It's probably worth the extra money to go to
a dealer nearby.

-Rob

Robert Oyung
Integrated Office Systems
HP Corporate Offices
rob@hpiosa.corp.hp.com

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (08/10/89)

In article <21227@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>On 28 Jul 89 07:35:05 GMT Organization:UW-Milwaukee Computing Services Division
>(Operations) you said:
>>
>>I have been considering buying an AMIGA 2000 system through GO-AMIGO
>>mail order. I would like some recommendations concerning GO-AMIGO (ie
>>how reliable are they customer support etc...) and would it be wise to
>>buy my AMIGA through them (MAIL ORDER) or should I stick to a local
>>dealer. (which is highly overpriced)
>>
>>	Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Most people know my position on GO-AMIGO.  I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them.
I've heard too many horror stories, and had that awful experience of having
to wait SIX MONTHS for them to deliver the prizes they donated to the
Badge Killer Demo contest (By the way, anybody wanna buy a 2-meg autoconfig
self-powered ram board for the A1000?  I should get it soon.)

I would instead recommend BRi-WALL which advertises in Amiga World.  Why?

  * They don't charge extra for Charge Cards
  * They charge only $4.00 for shipping PER ORDER
  * 24-Hour toll-free order line
  * Technical Assistance line
  * Refund FOR ANY REASON minus 10% restocking fee
  * Exchange/Credit for 100% (no fee) for any reason

with all this, how can you lose?  Their prices are pretty good too.  I
ordered Pen Pal and Mathamation from them.  I returned Mathamation because
its graphing sucks (no interlace, no symbols, not suitable for presentation)
and their people were nice and there were no problems.  The return policy
alone was enough to convince me to buy from them.

-Vince

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (08/11/89)

Michael Portuesi said:

>Do you have a good reason for preferring the 1084 over the 1080?  The
>1080 is a much nicer monitor than the 1084, and over the past year or
>two this newsgroup has been averaging about one 1084 horror story per
>month (dead monitors, arcing, fire and brimstone shooting out the
>back, etc. etc.).  I've had my 1080 since fall of 1986 with no
>problems whatsoever.

     Someone emailed me saying that many believe the 1080 to be superior.
 My reasons were: a) I was told the 1084 had a sharper immage.  I have never
 seen one up close.  b) It would have been 3 years newer.  c) More
 professional style.

     I haven't had many problems with my 1080.  I *THOUGHT* the 1084 was
 better.

>Note that these comments do not apply to the 1084-S, which is really a
>stereo version of the 1080 that happens to go under the 1084 name.

     Interesting ... I didn't know that ... Doesn't the 1804-S have a problem
 of burning up?  A friend of mine had one that died just out of warentee.
>				--M
>
>--
>Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
>			portuesi@SGI.COM

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

            "There is no Dark Side in the Moon, really ...
                                  matter of fact it's all dark."       */