[comp.sys.amiga] SimCity 1.0

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) (08/06/89)

Two questions:

Does anyone have a way to install SimCity on  a hard drive that WORK???
If I use the script they gave me on the disk ... but it doesnt work and the
manual is no help.

Also, does a railroad REPLACE a road in this game???

I.E. - should I use railroads IN PLACE of roads where I can afford it??

*   " Salad isn't food, salad is what food eats. " The Zen Monk ALF        *
*           "My thoughts claim no responsibility for my body"              *
*                                                                          *
* UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!clout!ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1 *
*                                                                          *
*        Sysop, the Penthouse ]I[ BBS                                      *
*                     (201)759-8450  (201)759-8568                         *

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/07/89)

In article <[24dbef27:960]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) writes:
>Two questions:
>
>Does anyone have a way to install SimCity on  a hard drive that WORK???
>If I use the script they gave me on the disk ... but it doesnt work and the
>manual is no help.
>
>Also, does a railroad REPLACE a road in this game???
>
>I.E. - should I use railroads IN PLACE of roads where I can afford it??

SimCity works fine on my harddisk. The copy from floppy to harddisk does  ***
have problems with one file. But this is probably something to do with the  *
copy protection. You DO need the otiginal disk in df0:, but once the game   *
verifies that you have an original disk, all I/O is to the hard disk.       *
1 *
Railroads spuliment roads. In the IDEAL city, you could probably get        *
away with only roads. When I start a new city, I use roads, but I leave     *
room to put in railroads in the future.  *
***

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (08/09/89)

In article <[24dbef27:960]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) writes:
>Two questions:
>
>Does anyone have a way to install SimCity on  a hard drive that WORK???
>If I use the script they gave me on the disk ... but it doesnt work and the
>manual is no help.

Good question, needs a good answer.  I tried it too and it barfs on me.
I can save my cities on the hard disk, but not the program itself.
RRRRRRing hello I'm having trouble with SIMCITY...

>Also, does a railroad REPLACE a road in this game???
>
>I.E. - should I use railroads IN PLACE of roads where I can afford it??

I've heard that a pure rail city is possible.  Earlier in this
group I read that someone created a pure rail city and let it run
untouched for a few hours.  End result + $65,000.   I haven't
tried this, but it might be worth a look.

                                 - Bear
--
------------------------ Signature Version 0.2 ------------------------------
Disclaimer:

Blair "Bear" Burtan, Boston University's Resident Amiga Expert
which isn't saying much.

bear@bucsb.edu   bear@bucsf.edu   bear@buengf.edu
bear@bu-pub.edu  enge05c@buacca.edu

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (08/09/89)

In article <3037@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>In article <[24dbef27:960]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) writes:
>>Two questions:
>>
>>Does anyone have a way to install SimCity on  a hard drive that WORK???
>>If I use the script they gave me on the disk ... but it doesnt work and the
>>manual is no help.

I had a loose sheet of paper that said to copy to hd but the origial
must be used to load then after validation the original can be removed
and everthing then runs off the hd.  Works for me.

>Good question, needs a good answer.  I tried it too and it barfs on me.
>I can save my cities on the hard disk, but not the program itself.
>RRRRRRing hello I'm having trouble with SIMCITY...
>

>>Also, does a railroad REPLACE a road in this game???
>>
>>I.E. - should I use railroads IN PLACE of roads where I can afford it??
>>

>I've heard that a pure rail city is possible.  Earlier in this
>group I read that someone created a pure rail city and let it run
>untouched for a few hours.  End result + $65,000.   I haven't
>tried this, but it might be worth a look.
>

>                                 - Bear

I've gotten up to around 350,000 (I wanted a megalopolis soooooooooo badly!!),
but ran out of room to build (too much water in the landscape).  This was
without embezzling funds but still using the easy game.  I used all RR
- got tired of "skywatch 1 reporting heavy traffic"!  Funny thing I
noticed my fire dept. seemed to attract airplane crashes - Every one
had burn out area's either right by them or on them.  I certainly
wouldn't live in a city that has that many air disasters!

A newletter I got from Maxis mentioned an update from 1.0 but
nothing about what improvments/fixes were made.  There is also a
terrain  editor for around $20.  I like the idea of the newsletter
sent after registration - feedback.

By the way FFL - Dungeon Master also had an offer of a newsletter on
their registration but I've NEVER heard a thing.  Anyone else?

Sure would be nice for a DM_II.  Guess I could try and run the game
with only one player and nude... (the player not me... though it is
summer... and hot around here...)

In article <3037@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>In article <[24dbef27:960]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) writes:
>>Does anyone have a way to install SimCity on  a hard drive that WORK???
>>If I use the script they gave me on the disk ... but it doesnt work and the
>>manual is no help.
>
>Good question, needs a good answer.  I tried it too and it barfs on me.
>I can save my cities on the hard disk, but not the program itself.
>RRRRRRing hello I'm having trouble with SIMCITY...

	Probably a lack of contiguous chip ram.  It seem to want a LOT of it.
I removed my addbuffers df0: 40 (and df1 40) from my startup and it works
from harddisk.  BTW, don't save a game in pause mode: you can't reload it.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/10/89)

In article <7602@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <3037@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>>In article <[24dbef27:960]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) writes:
>>>Does anyone have a way to install SimCity on  a hard drive that WORK???
>>>If I use the script they gave me on the disk ... but it doesnt work and the
>>>manual is no help.
>>
>>Good question, needs a good answer.  I tried it too and it barfs on me.
>>I can save my cities on the hard disk, but not the program itself.
>>RRRRRRing hello I'm having trouble with SIMCITY...
>
>	Probably a lack of contiguous chip ram.  It seem to want a LOT of it.
>I removed my addbuffers df0: 40 (and df1 40) from my startup and it works
>from harddisk.  BTW, don't save a game in pause mode: you can't reload it.

I did some expirementing last night....

SimCity 1.0 loads fine from my hard disk. I never did have the
"Chip Ram Shortage" problem that everyone else seemed to have.

I finally figured out why....In my usual startup-sequence, I don't
do a LOADWB. The only time I use WB is when I have to.

Well, last night, I DID load WB, and SimCity no longer worked from my
harddisk! I havn't tried SimCity 1.1 yet, since the disk they sent
me was bad, and I am waiting on a new one.

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

sasjtb@sas.UUCP (Jack Bulkley) (08/11/89)

Perhaps the best 'city' I have done had no roads. It had a short rail that led
from the 5 residential zones all around a lake past the 2 commercial zones and
on to the police station and 2 industrial zones. It was only a village but it
was stable and self sustaining. There was no crime and no polution.

Anyone else done any interesting setups? How about the scenerios? I was
devestated by the San Francisco one but was able to fix the Detroit problems
though I did embezzle some funds to help in Detroit.