[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga marketing, production and sales plans.

news@tcr.UUCP (John B. Sobernheim) (08/04/89)

John,
	As a CBM dealer who has seen the (Oct/Nov/Dec) Production, Sales, and
Marketing plans, I can tell you that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the A3k will
be out by the end of the year.

	There are a number of exciting releases scheduled over the next
90-120 days including;

2630 -  68030 at 25MHz with 25MHz 68882 and integrated MMU.  2-4MBs of 32
	bit RAM.
2091 -	Autobooting HD Controller supports 7 SCSI devices (0 ST-506).  Works
	with severe overscan 4 bit-plane screens.  Will allow mounting of 3.5"
	device on board.  Socketed for 2 MBs of 16bit DRAM.
2094 -	Kit to bring a 2000 up to a 2000HD configuration.  (2091, 40MBHD,
	software and cables)  Factory configured.
2090b -	Half-Size Card that allows the A2090 to autoboot.
2232 -	Multi-Serial Board.  Supports 7 ports on a single card.  (external
	chassis or what?) Drivers for UN*X and AmigaDos.
2065 -	10Mbit/sec Ethernet interface with support for both Thick and Thin
	Ethernet and AmigaDos support for NFS, TCP/IP, and Novell.
2024 - 	Hi-Resolution Monochrome Monitor supports 1008x800 with AutoSwitch
	to lower resolutions and deinterlacing.  Requires 1MB RAM and works
	on any Amiga.

	CBM will also be advertising in a BIG way over the last quarter of
the calendar year.  We are talking 14 Million U.S. dollars, hitting all the
TV, Mags, Newspapers etc.  14 Million, according to my rep will put CBM in
the top 80 U.S. advertisers, a list that Apple and IBM are _not_ a part of!
(And we've all seen that little helo-car commercial, HOW MANY TIMES?!)
According to CBM, each person in the target market, will see a commercial
an average of 20 times over the months of October, November and December!
	The TV commercials (a 30 second spot and a 60 second spot) will be
produced by George Lucas (from what I am told, he turned down a lot of
other jobs, but has an Amiga and I guess he's excited enough about the Amiga
to do the work for CBM) and directed by Mathew Robbins.
	The dealer network is currently going through a process of
requalification.  CBM is being very strict about what they want out of
their dealers, and a lot of the excess baggage is going to go.  Only
committed, supportive, top-dealers will remain.

	That's it, in brief.  This is a _big_ move on CBM's part to really
kick the personal computer market in the a**.  I for one am EXTREMELY
EXCITED about this news and am behind Commodore 110%.  I only hope that
it excites the rest of the dealers and the Amiga users out there as much
as it does me, and that we can all work together to give the Amiga the
kind of recognition and sales that it deserves.
--
John Sobernheim   ...boulder!tcr!news
The Computer Room ...CIS 76625,1210

ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000003410;0;250;143;) (08/06/89)

That sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when it happens.
Commodore should spend that money for customer support instead of
advertisement. If we knew our computers could be fixed reliably,
their business would increase from word of mouth. I'm hesitant
to recommend Amigas to my friends because I know they break down
all the time.

Am I being pessimistic or realistic? You be the judge.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/07/89)

In article <136@tcr.UUCP> news@tcr.UUCP (John B. Sobernheim) writes:

	   There are a number of exciting releases scheduled over the next
   90-120 days including;
	[other exciting products deleted]

   2065 -	10Mbit/sec Ethernet interface with support for both Thick and Thin
	   Ethernet and AmigaDos support for NFS, TCP/IP, and Novell.

	Thank heavens.  I agree with others on the net that CBM must
support networking if it expects its high-end machines to sell.

	   CBM will also be advertising in a BIG way over the last quarter of
   the calendar year.
	[good news about commercials and dealers deleted]

	   That's it, in brief.  This is a _big_ move on CBM's part to really
   kick the personal computer market in the a**.

If what you say is true, this is the best news for Amiga owners and
software developers I have heard in a long time.  Is it too good to be
true to expect Commodore to wake up and act like a real computer
company?

				--M

--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) (08/08/89)

In article <5056@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000003410;0;250;143;) writes:
> their business would increase from word of mouth. I'm hesitant
> to recommend Amigas to my friends because I know they break down
> all the time.

You too?  I have to agree with you, but last time I said
that on the net, my mailbox was FRIED TO A CRACKLY CRISP,
but not one follow-up to the net.  I must have hit a nerve.
Too bad, too.  I'd rather support Amigas than PCs and MACs
any day.  Sigh.

> Am I being pessimistic or realistic? You be the judge.

Hang him at dawn!  :-))))

Todd M. Lewis, utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu, utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet
  To quote Eugene H. Spafford, "Crisis and Aftermath", Communications of
  the ACM, vol. 32, no. 6, (June 1989), p. 684:
  "It is curious that this many people [...] would assume to know the
   intent of the author based on the observed behavior of the program."

gmd@pulsar.UUCP (George MacDonald) (08/11/89)

Wow detailed information!!! This posting has some unix tidbits I got at
SIGGRAPH, I have more in a seperate posting.

> John Sobernheim   ...boulder!tcr!news Writes...

>	As a CBM dealer who has seen the (Oct/Nov/Dec) Production, Sales, and
>Marketing plans, I can tell you that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the A3k will
>be out by the end of the year.

Thanks for a definitive answer!!

>	There are a number of exciting releases scheduled over the next
>90-120 days including;

> 2630 -  68030 at 25MHz with 25MHz 68882 and integrated MMU.  2-4MBs of 32
>	bit RAM.

One of the Amigas at SIGGRAPH was labeled 2500UX and when it booted it
came up with an additional menu item when the two mouse buttons were
held down. When clicked on this new menu selection provided supperior
performance than the 68020 menu selection. Isn't it amazing what a little
menu selection can do. What was the box you ask? Guess!

>2065 -	10Mbit/sec Ethernet interface with support for both Thick and Thin
>	Ethernet and AmigaDos support for NFS, TCP/IP, and Novell.

Now I wish I looked at the back of the 2500UX, it was running NFS and had
people rlogin'ed to it.  Me wonders if it had a 2065. Wow AmigaDos
support for NFS, TCP/IP Wow WOW WOOOOOOW.  Drool drool drool.

>2024 - Hi-Resolution Monochrome Monitor supports 1008x800 with AutoSwitch
>	to lower resolutions and deinterlacing.  Requires 1MB RAM and works
>	on any Amiga.

And I was wondering what I would get for Christmas!!!! Thanks Santa

--
      /\  George MacDonald, Pulsar Software Inc. - Unix Software Consultants
_____/  \    _____  ..{harvard,decvax}!zinn!pulsar!gmd or gmd@pulsar.mv.com