[comp.sys.amiga] Animation on a pee cee...

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (08/09/89)

The Bay Area Computer Currents (a free mag here in the Bay Area) reviewed
an animation program for VGA compatibles made by the AutoCad people.  They
seem to think a $299.00 program + VGA compatible = a much better animation
system than the amiga (or MAC II) will ever have.  They throw around a lot
of buzzwords like price/performance and additional hardware needed to justify
the superior performance of the VGA system.  They even print a few untruths,
"Animator! compared favorably with the Amiga, which is limited to 64 colors
4096 when using the same resolution. (320 X 200)  I guess you can't animate
in HAM....  Anyway the article took great strides to show the superiority of
the VGA system.

Methinks they doth protest to much...

-Evan
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (08/12/89)

In article <30478@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>The Bay Area Computer Currents (a free mag here in the Bay Area) reviewed
>an animation program for VGA compatibles made by the AutoCad people.  They
[...]
>in HAM....  Anyway the article took great strides to show the superiority of
>the VGA system.
>
>Methinks they doth protest to much...

Interesting. AutoCad recently bought GenericCad. One of our
technologists is a GenericCad betatester. He also is an Amiga fan.
When asked about developing GenericCad for the Amiga, the factory
replied whith the statement : "The Amiga is too slow for Cad
applications." (Really!)

We have been in touch with the rep, explaining that this statement is
obviously incorrect & invited him to call Commodore for information
about the Amiga. I would also like to do a demo for the rep, but wish
someone better qualified would take up the task.

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
 {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent
              kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
       "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"