[comp.sys.amiga] CLI window on new screen...

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (07/27/89)

Something is basically wrong with anyone who uses a disclaimer when they talk

             "My thoughts claim no responsibility for my body"
                          tron1@tronsbox.UUCP
                      Sysop, the Penthouse ]I[ BBS
                           (201)759-8450
                           (201)759-8568

I have been working on this one for a while also ...

Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
screen??????

How would I  , Why havent I seen it done????

ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - QA) (07/31/89)

In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>I have been working on this one for a while also ...
>

>Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
>screen??????
>
>How would I  , Why havent I seen it done????

To do this, write a program that opens a new screen identified as WBENCHSCREEN
and then issue a NEWSHELL or NEWCLI command from within the program. The
program has to stick around until you signal in some way to close windows and
the screen. I've done some playing around with this since finding a program
by Sterling Brown some time back (Wbscreen, I think it was).
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/01/89)

In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
>screen??????
>
>How would I  , Why havent I seen it done????

This question comes up so much it should be part of the "Introduction to .. "
posting :-)

You can see how to do this trick by looking at a program called "Window"
on Fish disk 38.  It demonstrates how to create an AmigaDOS con: window
on a custom screen.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  The Law of Software Envelopment

  Every program at MIT attempts to expand until it can read mail.
  Those programs which cannot expand are replaced by ones which can.

bradch@microsoft.UUCP (Bradford Christian ms1) (08/01/89)

In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>I have been working on this one for a while also ...
>
>Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
>screen??????
>
>How would I  , Why havent I seen it done????
>
>ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1

I pull a (sleazy?) trick in many of my own programs.  When I create a screen,
I specify WORKBENCHSCREEN (sp?) instead of CUSTOMSCREEN.  This has several
desirable effects and no (as yet) undesirable ones.  First off, any new CLIs
or shells you create will appear on the top-most workbench screen, so just
a simple Execute("NewShell", 0L, 0L) should give you a new shell in your own
screen (provided it is up front).   Requestors wil also automaticaly appear
in your own screen instead of the real Workbench.  Another feature is that
Amiga-N and Amiga-M will treat your screen as it does the real Workbench, so
you can easily toggle between your screen and other open screens.

If anyone knows why this should not be done, please post!  Otherwise, enjoy!

BTW, if you do this, make sure you check for open windows (such as cli's)
when you go to close the screen.  If you don't, you can end up with a cli
lost in space....

	BradCh

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (08/01/89)

In article <7486@cbmvax.UUCP> joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - QA) writes:
>In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>>I have been working on this one for a while also ...
>>

>>Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
>>screen??????
>>
>>How would I  , Why havent I seen it done????
>
>To do this, write a program that opens a new screen identified as WBENCHSCREEN
>and then issue a NEWSHELL or NEWCLI command from within the program. The
>program has to stick around until you signal in some way to close windows and
>the screen. I've done some playing around with this since finding a program
>by Sterling Brown some time back (Wbscreen, I think it was).
>--
>  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,

Joe et al;

There was a PopCLI-type program around a while back by Andy Rachmat,
called XPopCLI.  What it did was pop a CLI onto the topmost screen,
WAHTEVER IT WAS.  IT must have done some custom fiddling around, since it broke when 1.3 came out B-<.  Contact him on BIX or PLink, he may provide source.
..all I have is a binary.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ----------------------|-------------------             |

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) (08/01/89)

To add to what has been said about opening your own WBENCHSCREEN to get
a CLI open onto it, here is another idea.  One posting said you just use
'Execute(NewShell,0,0)' to do this IF your screen is on top.  Well, this
is quite simple but may not be obvious to all, so here goes.  To ensure
your screen IS on top you can just do a ScreenToFront() (sp?).
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

post@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (The Postman) (08/02/89)

Joe O'Hara from Commodore Electronics Ltd (Software QA) writes:

>To do this, write a program that opens a new screen identified as WBENCHSCREEN
>and then issue a NEWSHELL or NEWCLI command from within the program. The
>program has to stick around until you signal in some way to close windows and
>the screen. I've done some playing around with this since finding a program
>by Sterling Brown some time back (Wbscreen, I think it was).

Another way to do this is to use Matt Dillions 'mwb'. (Thanks Matt!)
I use it all the time to create a 1 bit plane 'Other Workbench Screen'.

I think there was also a program on a recent Fish Disk that opened up a
full screen 80 column CLI.  Check it out I guess.

Lenny Post
University of Calgary
Member/Executive of AMUC (The AMiga Users of Calgary)   Home of Vidwall '89

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (08/02/89)

In article <7192@microsoft.UUCP> bradch@microsoft.UUCP (Bradford Christian ms1) writes:
>In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>>I have been working on this one for a while also ...

>>Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
>>screen??????

>>How would I  , Why havent I seen it done????

>>ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1

>I pull a (sleazy?) trick in many of my own programs.  When I create a screen,
>I specify WORKBENCHSCREEN (sp?) instead of CUSTOMSCREEN.  This has several
>desirable effects and no (as yet) undesirable ones.  First off, any new CLIs

I have found a few side affects that arn't necessarily good ones.

First, try this little trick. When you boot your machine, don't do
a LoadWB. Start your application up, and open a CLI on it (I can do
it by using a DMouse hotkey). Then from this CLI issue a LoadWB.
Guess what happens? LoadWB looks for the *first* Workbench type
screen and completly takes it over. Completely eats your application.
Forget about tring to kill *your* program after that.

Fun huh?

There can also be some confusion if an application is specificly
looking for the Workbench screen (and instead it finds yours). Most of
the time this is a minor inconvienience more than anything else.

---
Steve -Raz- Berry     Disclaimer: It wasn't me! I was volatilizing my esters.
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                   ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
KILOWATT: sun!kilowatt!archive-server    archive-server%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (08/02/89)

In article <7486@cbmvax.UUCP>, joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - QA) writes:
> In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
> >Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
> >screen??????

Before I say anymore, I have to warn you of two things.  First of all, I
have not tried this.  Second, it might break in any non-current version of
WORKBENCH.  That having been said, however, what happens if we link our new
window into the *NextWindow pointer of a window currently on the screen.
That should (theoretically) render the window on the new screen.  You may
also want to unlink said window from the chain on the original screen.

Can anyone think of why this wouldn't work?
--
Mark Vange				Phone Death Threats to:
Vanguard Distributing			(416) 730-1352  mark@xrtll

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/03/89)

In article <823@bnr-fos.UUCP>, protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) says:
>is quite simple but may not be obvious to all, so here goes.  To ensure
>your screen IS on top you can just do a ScreenToFront() (sp?).

Yes, but there is a miniscule chance that after the ScreenToFront(), and
just before your Execute(), the system will hand the system over to some other
task that will put *its* screen in front, so that when you get control back
you'll put the CLI on the wrong screen --- so --- use Forbid() and Permit().

                                                                        lee

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (08/12/89)

>In article <[917]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>>Can I , by hook or by crook, open or "tansplant) a CLI window onto another
>>screen??????

  Another way to do this is to get AREXX, ConMan, and Willy Langevelds
RexxArpLib.library. This way you can open a public screen and then
open a CLI directly on that public screen. Also, ConMan will open
a window on any screen if you give it the screen address, or you can
make it open a window on the front screen. Opening windows on screens
which are not "public screens" is somewhat dangerous, however, as
the host program may not check to see if their are any open windows
on its screen before it closes...

  Jim