[comp.sys.amiga] One-meg agnus

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (08/12/89)

Does A-Max perform better (i.e. is it compatible with more software) in an
Amiga with the newer one-meg Agnus chip?  Is it worth it (now, not when
1.4 comes out) to put the one-meg Agnus chip into an A500?  While I'm at
it, should I install a 68010 when (if) I have the new Agnus installed.

Should I just save my money until I have enough for a 2000?  Does that make
an A500 simply an ST on Steroids? :-)

-Evan
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (08/12/89)

In article <30585@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>Should I just save my money until I have enough for a 2000?  Does that make
>an A500 simply an ST on Steroids? :-)
     Snarl. With all due respect, I personally am getting more than a little
tired of always being snickered at for buying an Amiga 500, or being thrown in
as one of those 'game-only geeks.' Between the business with Megatronics/AIR
('it's your fault for buying a 500') and the 'you mean you were silly enough to
buy a 500?' attitude on the net, it's really started to get to me. Look: not
all of us can AFFORD a 2000, alright? This does NOT mean that we are a pack of
'snot-nosed junior high pirate game players,' as I've heard us referred to on
other systems. (At least it hasn't gotten that bad here - yet!)
     Back on subject. IMHO, if you plan to expand your Amiga system past
obvious levels (IE, additional floppy drives or a hard drive and RAM), then
you should definately get an A2000, IF you can afford it. On the other hand,
you CAN expand a 500. It will cost more in the long run, but you'll get your
starting computer now, instead of a year from now (which was the case with me,
for example.)
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
| "Signature V1.2.1.2..." | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix@ukma.bitnet |
| "Got enough addresses, bub?" | CIS 72406,370 | PLink: Skywise      |