[comp.sys.amiga] Ultra-Card/Browser Bugs

SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu (08/08/89)

I am currently trying to evaluate the demo of Browser
(Ultracard).  I am having some serious problems in that every
time I try to access any of the stacks including the Control Room
or the Calendar I get the visitation from the MASTER GURU.  He
relays a message "00000003.XXXXX"  also he ends in a 4 or a
letter A.  Needless to say this is frustrating.  Also the modem
lights flash when it gurus.  I tried detaching the modem - still
gurus.

My set-up is a standard A1000 (512K, modem, 3.5" external drive).

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

STEVE BRADY 			42AD/LGX
Autovon: 362-4338		Grand Forks AFB ND 58205-5000
Comm: 701-747-4338

Don't expect to see pearls of Wisdom, I am just a CLAM.

"If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and is in black and white chances
are, it's a MACINTOSH!"

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/08/89)

In article <21232@louie.udel.EDU> SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu writes:

   I am currently trying to evaluate the demo of Browser
   (Ultracard).  I am having some serious problems in that every
   time I try to access any of the stacks including the Control Room
   or the Calendar I get the visitation from the MASTER GURU.  He
   relays a message "00000003.XXXXX"  also he ends in a 4 or a
   letter A.

You too.  I also tried to get the Calendar stack to work, without
success.

I don't have my 68000 reference card handy, but it looks like the
UCard Browser is having some problem with dereferencing pointers.

From what I could see of the UltraCard demo, it looked promising,
though slow.  Some sections look like they could use a little
optimization; for example, when you are modifying a card, any change
to one of the onscreen buttons causes the entire field of buttons to
be redrawn, which seems to be a slow procedure.

I've read that there is supposedly an updated Browser.  Does anybody
know if it is available and where we could get it?  I'd like to see a
little more before I buy.

			--M
--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/11/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Aug8095625@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>From what I could see of the UltraCard demo, it looked promising,
>though slow.

I took the plunge and bought UltraCard.  It is a lot faster than
the demo version I saw, especially display-wise.  Could be lots better,
but a big improvement of the demo.

Big drawback - lack of good documentation.  The manual is disorganized
and needed some proofreading.  It states that better documentation is
in the TheManual stack (since hypertext, etc. is better for documentation).
However, it tells almost nothing new, and is not very big (6 chapters
of 4 topics each - each topic half a screen).  Supposedly, if you
read through the help stack fully, etc. you can get more info.  The
list of function/commands is available.  I assume it is incomplete
since it doesn't discuss ARexx.  The only place ARexx is discussed
is in the "more..." frame, and only a tiny bit (enough to get you
going, no examples).  No registration card or info found, although
there is a BBS in Monterrey, CA.  Also, no docs on how to use the
sample stacks.  The address-book was fairly obvious, but the Calendar
isn't (from the source, it appears you can't put notes for dates
in another month but I could be wrong).  The Tutorial stack is pretty
good though (tutorial for creating stacks).  I gurued a bit too.

Also, the manual really tries to push the BBS, saying that many more
sample stacks, etc. are there.  Personally, I would rather have an
extra disk with samples, full-fledged manual, etc.  This would
be much cheaper to me than the BBS (time-wise too, with only one
phone, I can't download large files when someone might call, 1200
baud is silly when I get USENET at 19K, BBS's are usually busy, etc.).

Of course, I expect it to get better with age.  The manual hints on
things to come (compiler), and documentation can only improve.  A
second disk would really help though.

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) (08/12/89)

In article <660@laic.UUCP>, darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) writes:
> In article <PORTUESI.89Aug8095625@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> >[deleted]
> I took the plunge and bought UltraCard.  It is a lot faster than
> the demo version I saw, especially display-wise.  Could be lots better,
> but a big improvement of the demo.
According to the author, the current rev of the browser/demo on
Compuserve is 1.11.

> Big drawback - lack of good documentation.  The manual is disorganized
> and needed some proofreading.  It states that better documentation is
> in the TheManual stack (since hypertext, etc. is better for documentation).
> However, it tells almost nothing new, and is not very big (6 chapters
> of 4 topics each - each topic half a screen).  Supposedly, if you
> read through the help stack fully, etc. you can get more info.  The
> list of function/commands is available.  I assume it is incomplete
> since it doesn't discuss ARexx.  The only place ARexx is discussed
> is in the "more..." frame, and only a tiny bit (enough to get you
> going, no examples).  No registration card or info found, although
> there is a BBS in Monterrey, CA.  Also, no docs on how to use the
> sample stacks.  The address-book was fairly obvious, but the Calendar
> isn't (from the source, it appears you can't put notes for dates
> in another month but I could be wrong).  The Tutorial stack is pretty
> good though (tutorial for creating stacks).  I gurued a bit too.

1. Documentation - I mentioned that to Mike Lehman; he said that
he was looking at some H*Talk manuals as he was designing things.
So, "except for chunk expressions" (which I gather means text
strings?) the UltraTalk commands are similar to their analogs
(with _similar_ but not identical names) in H*Talk.  He said he
liked "the Shafer book" (which could be _HyperTalk_Programming_
or _Understanding_HyperTalk_, both by Dan Shafer, ranging from
$18-25.)

2. ARexx.  Well, I don't know if ARexx is discussed in documentation
for other ARexx-hooked programs... Is nothing in ARexx's own docs?
(I don't have ARexx yet, but it's one of those important-sounding
things I might get to even _before_ 1.4 comes out.)

3. Calendar.  Can you perhaps copy the _frame_ so that you can use
the date note-objects in another month?  I'm just guessing from
the browser/demo.  I'm a bit new at this hypermedia stuff too.

> Also, the manual really tries to push the BBS, saying that many more
> sample stacks, etc. are there.  Personally, I would rather have an
> extra disk with samples, full-fledged manual, etc.  This would
> be much cheaper to me than the BBS (time-wise too, with only one
> phone, I can't download large files when someone might call, 1200
> baud is silly when I get USENET at 19K, BBS's are usually busy, etc.).

I would also like some mail-based stack swapping of sorts.
Supposedly a collection of stuff is on Compuserve and PeopleLink,
(including the current browser/demo), including stacks.  I have
also sent my own request to Mike Lehman that there be an inexpensive
way of getting stacks.

> Of course, I expect it to get better with age.  The manual hints on
> things to come (compiler), and documentation can only improve.  A
> second disk would really help though.

If you still have questions, it turns out that Mike Lehman's
compuserve-via-gateway address is 76164.1764@compuserve.com.
Be prepared to wait a few days for an answer, though - they're
busy, I guess.

> Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
> 	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

(Oh, durn, I guess I'll be paranoid and say that HyperTalk is
a term/trademark/whatever probably owned by somebody connected
legally to Apple...you get the idea.)
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/12/89)

In article <21232@louie.udel.EDU> SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu writes:
>I am currently trying to evaluate the demo of Browser
>(Ultracard).  I am having some serious problems in that every
>time I try to access any of the stacks including the Control Room
>or the Calendar I get the visitation from the MASTER GURU.

You're not doing anything wrong - it's a problem with that version of
UltraCard.  All versions prior to version 1.11 will guru if you look
at it funny.  Look for ULTRACARD.ZOO dated 7-Aug-89 or later on the
various BBS's.  I'll let you know after I've located a copy for
myself.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms