[comp.sys.amiga] Spirit Tech inboard/warranties

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/03/89)

Everybody, in the wake of this discussion about Commodore being nasty about
warranties, I'd like to mention an experience I just had with Spirit
Technology. They make the Inboard 1000 which I have (1.5 meg ram internal for
Amiga 1000, I think they have versions for other Amigae). I got it more than a
year ago, and it died a while ago (I had left the computer on all day & when I
came back the screen was yellow & the power light was blinking. We have bad
power around here). I called them, and they said to send it back. Three days
later, I got a call saying it had been fixed and was on the way back, UPS
second day air. This was WELL out of the 90-day warranty. The charge? $9.50.
That's right, NINE DOLLARS and FIFTY CENTS. This was for shipping... they
didn't even charge me for parts (a chip had gone bad).
Seriously though, these guys are great. If you ever need expansion memory, I
wholeheartedly reccommend them.
--
James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,

daly@hpdml93.HP.COM (John Daly) (08/07/89)

/ hpdml93:comp.sys.amiga / jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu / 10:06 am  Aug  3, 1989 /
----------

daly@hpdml93.HP.COM (John Daly) (08/08/89)

[...]

	     It just so happens that I'm currently in the market to
      buy a memory expansion board for my A1000 and I notice your
      posting. Would you be so kind as to give me info, spec's priceing
      etc ? I notice that your board was 1.5 Meg are the other
      configurations ? Thanks in advance...

					     John Daly
					     daly@hpdml93

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (08/09/89)

------deleted stuff------

>That's right, NINE DOLLARS and FIFTY CENTS. This was for shipping... they
>didn't even charge me for parts (a chip had gone bad).
>Seriously though, these guys are great. If you ever need expansion memory, I
>wholeheartedly reccommend them.
>--
>James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
>jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,
>jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET  Just in the nick of time I looked at his hand"
>Box 5033 Wesleyan Station                           -Paul McCartney
>Middletown, CT 06475
>----------

I'd like to pay my respects to the guys at Spirit Technologies.  I have used
an insider (early ZIP version) for over a year and a half.  I have had only
two problems.  One was my fault when installing ram and the second was mother
natures fault ( really mine for operating during a storm  8-( ) that stopped
my clock.  Both times the people a Spirit Tech bent over backwards to help.

In the first instance they fixed the board and returned it within two days.
The second time they sent a disk with a program to test and kickstart the
clock (The clock chip they use has a long term storage feature to preserve
the clock battery.  Ma nature gliched earth and set the store bit in the
clock). I ran the program and the clock has worked fine since.  I guess
you could say (PUN ALERT) my Ami took a lick'n and kept on tick'n.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/09/89)

>       James,
> 	     It just so happens that I'm currently in the market to
>       buy a memory expansion board for my A1000 and I notice your
>       posting. Would you be so kind as to give me info, spec's priceing
>       etc ? I notice that your board was 1.5 Meg are the other
>       configurations ? Thanks in advance...
>
> 					     John Daly
> 					     daly@hpdml93

(Email bounced)

It's completely internal, and has a battery backed clock. It is auto-configure,
and has three 512k banks of chips (you can expand it in blocks of 512k for
those of us, like me, who are poor & can't afford 1.5 meg of chips at once). I
presently have 1 meg in mine. It's available for around $200 from discount
mail-order sort of places. That's how I got mine. (That is with no memory). It
uses 41256 drams (150 ns or faster)-- 16 per bank, 48 for full 1.5 meg. These
are now available for around $5 each (pick up a Computer Shopper magazine--
lots of chip suppliers advertise there). You can buy it with various amounts of
chips alread on it, but it's probably cheaper to buy them yourself separately.

Installation involves removing the 68000 chip, putting this thing in its place,
putting the chip back in on top of this, and connecting two jumpers. YOu don't
have to solder them but it's probably a good idea. Oh, you should also ground
several of the PAL chips on the kickstart daughterboard for peace of mind. (YOu
should do this anyway, whether or not you get memory expansion!) There are
complete instructions. If you are not very handy with the soldering iron I
would advise getting someone who likes to poke around in their computer to do
it for you (I'm no expert, but it wasn't difficult).

Anyway, if you want to talk to them:

Spirit Technology
220 West 2950 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
(801) 485-4233

good luck. It's really a first class piece of hardware, and their service can't
be beat.

--

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (08/09/89)

In article <420@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Installation involves removing the 68000 chip, putting this thing in its place,
>putting the chip back in on top of this, and connecting two jumpers. YOu don't
>have to solder them but it's probably a good idea.

One thing other Spirit Inboard owners might want to try when connecting the
jumpers is soldering two little pins to the top of the daughterboard where
the jumpers connect (ie.  on the solder side of the pins you are supposed
to connect the jumpers to ).  This makes it _Very_ easy to attach them.
It is a pain in the ass to attach those jumpers down under the board, and
when you are doing it over and over ( like, say, while testing a LUCAS
board ) it gets quite frustrating.

Don't solder the jumpers right on.  Makes for a rough time taking it out.

Just something I thought of while in a soldering frenzy one day.... :-)
Oh, ya, this would probably void your warranty! :-) :-) :^)
--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (08/13/89)

In Message <6075@ingr.com> phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) writes:

>I'd like to pay my respects to the guys at Spirit Technologies.  I have used
>an insider (early ZIP version) for over a year and a half.  I have had only
    ^^^^^^^

    The "INSIDER" is made by Michigan Software.
    The "INBOARD" is made by Spirit Technologies.

    The name "INSIDER" is their (Michigan Software) product name it has since
    however been used as a generic term to describe the internal type of
    memory expansion unit(s). Michigan Software however was the 1st to sell
    such an item.

    Im not connected with Michigan Software except as a happy user of an
    "INSIDER". So consider this message as.

    Sneakers

    PS:
       This is not an attack on Paul, I just happened to use his message
       to help make my point.

       Oh yea, No I don't ask for a "Kleenex", I ask for a "Tissue" :-)

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS