[comp.sys.amiga] Mg2a escape chars?

wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) (08/12/89)

Someone had posted a complaint about auto-fill (I believe) not
working on micro emacs, and I responded by email that it did work
on mg2a.  That person wrote back saying that he didn't use mg2a
because he needed to use characters with ASCII codes greater than 127
which caused problems with mg2a interpreting them as escaped characters.
Since then, I lost his net address, so I am posting... There is
a symbol which you #define when compiling mg2a which causes the
ALT key to be interpreted as an ESC (actually 'meta').  You may
be able to use the full character set if you recompile without this
#define - I don't know (I had trouble compiling it with Lattice 5.02
so I didn't test this).

mic@ut-emx.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (08/13/89)

In article <608@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) writes:
>							 There is
>a symbol which you #define when compiling mg2a which causes the
>ALT key to be interpreted as an ESC (actually 'meta').  You may
>be able to use the full character set if you recompile without this
>#define - I don't know (I had trouble compiling it with Lattice 5.02
>so I didn't test this).

The name of the preprocessor definition is DO_METAKEY.  If defined, MG
2a interprets ALT'ed keys as META keys, otherwise the characters you
type are put into the buffer as-is.

However, there is also a function (meta-key-mode) that lets you do
this without recompiling the program.  If you put the line
	(meta-key-mode)

in S:.mg, MG 2a should put the characters you type into the buffer
unchanged. At least it did this when I wrote and tested the code more
than a year and half ago. :-)

Mic Kaczmarczik (a lapsed MG 2a developer)
UT Austin Computation Center
mic@emx.utexas.edu

--
Mic Kaczmarczik			If you drink, don't drill.
UT Austin Computation Center			-- Matt Groening