[comp.sys.amiga] Mail order and warranty

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/10/89)

I think the deal was this:  If an authorized dealer sells a bunch of
Amigas to an "unauthorized" dealer, and then the unauthorized dealer sells
the Amiga to you, then Commodore does not "honor" the warranty.  The W
goes to the first buyer, and Commodore deems that this is the unauthorized
dealer.  This arrangement is pretty common in the industry.

                                                           lee

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (08/11/89)

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>I have had good dealings with LightSpeed Distribution.  I have purchased a
>Supra 4x4 SCSI interface and a KickStart Eliminator from them.  They were
>knowledgable and friendly on the phone.  They didn't charge me until the
>product was shipped.  Their shipping charges are reasonable (as opposed to
>other companies that lure you in with low prices and then hit you with a
>10-20% shipping charge!).  I trust them at this time.

I second this.  I've gotten a few things from them and they've gotten
their end right each time.  I also have found InterComputing to be
very similary good.  I've ordered about 12 StarBoardII's from them over
the past few months, and some misc. software.  They have actually called
_me_ back a couple times to confirm things or advise me of something.  I
don't expect this as a regular thing, but it does give me "warm fuzzies."
Their prices on 2000's are a bit higher than a lot of other mailorder
places, but I would trust them to give me straight answers and service.

Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/13/89)

Several folks have said that Commodore dealers won't do warranty or other
repairs on Amigas purchased through mail order in this thread.  This is
not true.  They might try to discourage you, drag their feet, and otherwise
growl at you, but you can probably get them to fix it.  Commodore said so,
right here on the net.  If a dealer gives you a hard time,

    C A L L    C O M M O D O R E ! !

and complain.  They'll get on the dealers case.

The one "exception" is gray market mail order, where a "dealer" buys a
machine from another dealer (and the warranty clock starts ticking) and then
sells the machine to you at a later time.  The gray marketeer is covered by
warranty, but you aren't.