[comp.sys.amiga] Re^2: No more Cinemaware stuff for Amiga !!!????

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (08/08/89)

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

->In article <1505@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
->>
->> Next week...why do vinal records cost $8 and CDs cost $15 when CD's cost less
->> to make?
->>
->> Greg Corson
->> {pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

->Vinyl records cost less to make than the packaging they come in. CD's cost
->between $3 and $6 to make. The process of making a CD is infinitely more
->complicated than that of making a record. Once a pressing mold has been made
->for a record, you just stamp out as many copies as you want. For the price of a
->platter of vinyl.

This is the same situation in the CD world, as in many other
manufacturing worlds.  The bulk amount of money that is needed is to
do the glass mastering of the disks and for the capital equipment and
clean environment for the disks. Actually creating the disks and
packaging them is around $1.25 per disk, from the last estimate that
I've heard.

->James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,

Re: Piracy and the Amiga and computer software in general. I was in
the Amiga world at the beginning, and am no longer trying to do it.
There is simply too much working against the developer for one to make
a living writting Amiga software. After the initial effort there will
be the `hit' impact of revenue for the first couple of months, then
sales start to stall. There must be products that this is not true of
but for most this is the case. Calculating the bucks that went into
development and productization of your software doesn't add up to
making back your investment for a lot of developers, although there
are those that have done Ok for a time.

People can say that there is little piracy, but from my experience
this is not the case. The shareware stuff that I wrote was known to
many, although there were only two people (whom I knew) that gave me
the $15.00 that I was asking for the software.  The product that I
write, InfoMinder, was also known to quite a number of people, but
there were less than a thousand sales of it. (I put about a thousand
hours into writting and debugging it though).

DPaint did really great when it came out though, because not only was
it useful -- it was copy protected to boot.  The program that people
seemed to buy the most of, that I saw running all the time, was
Marauder. It could copy copy-protected software, and went through lots
of revisions (that had to be purchased). Once Marauder came out and
broke DPaint there was a big dropoff in revenue from DPaint.

I laugh at those that think that the great future of America is in
their innovative software, as those Americans that need to support the
innovation and creativity by purchasing it would rather complain that
they need the source before they will buy a product, or simply steal
the product. Those that want all software to be $10.00 have never
tried to do this, and understand nothing about the economics of the
marketplace. I would rather make paperclips than software at this
point, if I wanted to make a profitable company.

-Jim Becker		jcb@sun.com

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (08/15/89)

Dave Fetrow writes:
> CD ROMs incorporate Error Correction Codes. A few mangled bits can be
>reconstructed on the fly. If they didn't have ECC's they wouldn't have nearly
>as many advantages over conventional media as they do.

You make it sound like ECC is exclusive to CD ROM.  As one who deals
with 'conventional media' daily, I know that we make extensive use of
ECC's.  Most 'conventional media' has at least some form of ECC.  This
is often transparent so many user may not think that the drives are
using ECC.  I don't see ECC's as being an 'advantage' for CD ROM's.

Stephen Holmstead
...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen                      //
Hewlett Packard Disk Memory Division          \X/  Amiga Forever!

"I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy."
	-- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.