[comp.sys.amiga] VLT version 4.058

davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) (08/15/89)

line eater, line eater ...

By now, I hope everyone has their own copy of VLT ... great program,
isn't it, thanx willy et al ...

Now, in version 4.058 ( the most current (?)), there is a terrific
option which allows one to save the image on the graphics screen to
a postscript file. Terrific !! Stupendous !!

HOWEVER ... the laser printer I have access to seems unable to
process these files, although it will print postscript files
generated on the Sun Workstations used alongside the Amiga
( for example, plots created in and saved via the statistical
programming languages "S" and "New S" ). The laser printer is
an Apple product, if this means anything.

The complaint seems to be the absence of any "currentpoint"
statement in the postscript file generated by VLT. But this
may only be a symptom, and not the real problem. In any case,
has anyone successfully saved and printed postscript files
with VLT ??? If so, could you please email or post any info
relevant to my own problems ???

Thanks for your time ...
--
  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids
  University of Toronto       |  bitnet:  davids@utstat.utoronto

--
  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids
  University of Toronto       |  bitnet:  davids@utstat.utoronto
  Deptartment of Statistics   |    arpa:  davids@utstat.toronto.edu
  (hi mom !!!)

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (08/15/89)

In article <1989Aug14.220122.561@utstat.uucp> davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) writes:
[...]

(Info about VLT's image save to postscript file option}

>HOWEVER ... the laser printer I have access to seems unable to
>process these files, although it will print postscript files
>generated on the Sun Workstations used alongside the Amiga
[...]

Interesting... I posted a message a while back about getting
postscript output from the Amiga to a Sun postscript printer. I am
currently using ProWrite/ProScript still since the other options
suggested don't work. For example, Ifftops generates garbage on the
postscript printer. I'm just sending the file to the Sun & then:
lpr 'file.ps'. What's wrong?

Thanks,

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu

garvin@ccvr1.uucp (Michael A. Garvin) (08/15/89)

In article <20020@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <1989Aug14.220122.561@utstat.uucp> davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) writes:
>[...]
>
>(Info about VLT's image save to postscript file option}
>
>>HOWEVER ... the laser printer I have access to seems unable to
>>process these files, although it will print postscript files
>>generated on the Sun Workstations used alongside the Amiga
>[...]
>
>Interesting... I posted a message a while back about getting
>postscript output from the Amiga to a Sun postscript printer. I am
>currently using ProWrite/ProScript still since the other options
>suggested don't work. For example, Ifftops generates garbage on the
>postscript printer. I'm just sending the file to the Sun & then:
>lpr 'file.ps'. What's wrong?
>
>kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu

     Well, first about VLT.  I had to change the PostScript header sent out
with it to work with the Apple LaserWriter.  Turns out that they don't like
the definition that VLT uses for showing a line on the page.  The offender
is (in S:TekProlog.PS):

/s  {stroke newpath show}  bdef

     Taking this out causes problems, though.  You have to edit the VLT
output PostScript file and take out all the references to this bdef.  The
easiest way I've found to do it is to do a global search and replace on ")
s" and replace with ") show".

     Now, onto the PostScript printing problem.  This depends on how you're
getting the output to your PostScript printer, but we had a similar problem
using a filter called "ln03rof" (it turns ASCII into PostScript for the
PostScript capable DEC LN03 laser printer).  We would get our PostScript
printed out nicely for us; not the page set up by the PostScript code but
the code itself (a source listing and not the final result).  It turns out
that the filter was wrapping the PostScript code in its own PostScript
header; the result being that our code was being treated as text since the
filter's PostScript was being interpreted first.  Our fix was to read the
documentation (gasp!) and learn that we needed a line in our call to the
filter to tell it that the text going through it may be PostScript and not
to wrap it.
     Other possible problems: CR/LF getting screwed up during transfer from
Amiga to printing machine, not using ASCII file transfer method (Kermit
binary instead of Kermit ASCII), or the filter not liking the Amiga code for
some arcane reason.  This is, of course, assuming that you're using a filter
program and not sending the file straight to the printer.

     Anyways, hope this helps.

garvin@ccvr1.ncsu.edu
Michael Garvin
NCSU Computing Center, Raleigh, NC

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (08/16/89)

In article <3664@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> garvin@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Michael A. Garvin) writes:
>[...]
>     Now, onto the PostScript printing problem.  This depends on how you're
>getting the output to your PostScript printer, but we had a similar problem
>[...]
>     Other possible problems: CR/LF getting screwed up during transfer from
>Amiga to printing machine, not using ASCII file transfer method (Kermit
>binary instead of Kermit ASCII), or the filter not liking the Amiga code for
>some arcane reason.  This is, of course, assuming that you're using a filter
>program and not sending the file straight to the printer.

Transmission problem possibility:
I'm using Dnet-nfs, so file transfer isn't the problem (I checked, the files
are identical on both ends).

CR/LF problem possibility:
Now CR/LF may be a problem since I noticed that ProScript-produced
files use LF-terminated lines, whereas Ifftops seems to generate
CR-terminates lines. I actually get a graphic image using Ifftops, but
it is truly garbage. I think this is the problem. (I really expected
the Postscript printer to be a bit smarter I guess).

Thanks much
Kent Polk