[comp.sys.amiga] PostScript printing of IFF

In article <20020@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>Interesting... I posted a message a while back about getting
>postscript output from the Amiga to a Sun postscript printer. I am
>currently using ProWrite/ProScript still since the other options
>suggested don't work. For example, Ifftops generates garbage on the
>postscript printer. I'm just sending the file to the Sun & then:
>lpr 'file.ps'. What's wrong?

I use a program that was written by William Mason and Sam Paolucci named
IFF2PS. It is version 2.0. It allows you to generate encapsulated postscript
as well as just a straight postscript file. After adjusting it to get full
size printouts of various images I left those options in my configuration
file and made them the defaults. The output file is on an NFS mounted file
system that my workstation shares, so I just lpr the file to the printer
down the hall and poof a hard copy of an IFF image.

It's available from Tom's BBS (415) 32-RADIO, and from kilowatt as iff2ps20.1

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

garvin@ccvr1.uucp (Michael A. Garvin) (08/16/89)

In article <121633@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <20020@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>> [stuff about PostScript, Suns, and Ifftops making garbage deleted]
>>lpr 'file.ps'. What's wrong?
>
>I use a program that was written by William Mason and Sam Paolucci named
>IFF2PS. It is version 2.0. It allows you to generate encapsulated postscript
>as well as just a straight postscript file. After adjusting it to get full
>size printouts of various images I left those options in my configuration
>file and made them the defaults. The output file is on an NFS mounted file
>system that my workstation shares, so I just lpr the file to the printer
>down the hall and poof a hard copy of an IFF image.
>
>It's available from Tom's BBS (415) 32-RADIO, and from kilowatt as iff2ps20.1
>

>--Chuck McManis
     I've been using a program called DPlaz that came over the net a while
ago.  It's still a sub-1.0 release, but it does work fairly nicely.  It is
based (as I recall) on the old PostScript generating program 'claz' (which
was a piece of junk, sorry) but has been re-written and is much improved.
The real win for it is that it uses "iff.library" to display boxes on a
page-sized box for each (of multiple) pictures.  You can move them on the
page, re-size them, rotate them, and even overlap images!  All this in a
nice user-interface where you can see your work and not guess about page
sizes, coordinates, etc.  It's definately worth a look.  I upload (soon to
be FTP) the PostScript output to a VAX, then lpr the file, where it then
goes through a GatorBox to a LaserWriter.

Michael Garvin
garvin@ccvr1.ncsu.edu
NCSU Computing Center, Raleigh, NC