[comp.sys.amiga] Was : Go-Amigo ; Bri-Wal. Now: Mail-Order Houses

simon@cs.columbia.edu (Thor Simon) (08/16/89)

  Some people seemed not to like BriWal because of its moderately high prices,
which leaves me with another interesting problem.  What about these places with
ridiculously LOW prices, like Montgomery Grant?  I -=*>believe<*=- that at
least some of these are not Gray-Market, M-G being an example because of this
(disclaimer?) in their recent Amiga World advertisement to the effect of:
"We sell all new factory-fresh merchandise with a valid C-A USA warranty..."
you get the point.  Which leaves me with: Has anybody had horrendous problems
with these ultralow price outfits?  Living in New York I can really just walk
into many such stores, usually assuring decent service, but being about to go
away to school in CT for 4 years, I wonder if their mail-order is OK or not?
And am I wrong?  Are Montgomery Grant and other such stores really selling
refurbished or "second-dealer" no-warranty merchandise?  Will other dealers
fix stuff bought at these low, low,low price places?

Thanx

Thor      \

           \

(*Yes, that IS a lightning bolt...*)

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (08/17/89)

In article <306@cs.columbia.edu> simon@cs.columbia.edu (Thor Simon) writes:

>  Some people seemed not to like BriWal because of its moderately high prices,
>which leaves me with another interesting problem.  What about these places with
>ridiculously LOW prices, like Montgomery Grant?  I -=*>believe<*=- that at
>least some of these are not Gray-Market, M-G being an example because of this
>(disclaimer?) in their recent Amiga World advertisement to the effect of:
>"We sell all new factory-fresh merchandise with a valid C-A USA warranty..."
>you get the point.  Which leaves me with: Has anybody had horrendous problems
>with these ultralow price outfits.

I've dealt with Comp-U-Save and with Dr. Oxide personally.  They're
pretty good about their prices.  Especially if you catch them at
a computer flea market.  Their latest catalog offers a SCSI
harddrive for $120 as a do-it-yourself kit.  I'm not sure of
the size, but at that price I may just want to hang one on my existing
drive.

--
Disclaimer:

"He's showing signs of pressure psychosis and he has a nuclear weapon."

                                         - The Abyss

Blair "Bear" Burtan, Boston University's Resident Amiga Expert
which isn't saying much.

bear@bucsb.bu.edu   bear@bucsf.bu.edu   bear@buengf.bu.edu
bear@bu-pub.bu.edu  enge05c@buacca.bu.edu