[comp.sys.amiga] bridgecard problem

In <21653@louie.udel.EDU>, casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov writes:
>Are the files AREAD / AWRITE used strictly for ASCII files?.... ANy help
>would be appreciated...

Use the /b option. It's undocumented.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov (08/14/89)

I have a 2088 bridge card in my A2000 and have tried using the programs
supplied with the card to port files to / from the AMIGA side. Specifically
the programs are AREAD.EXE and AWRITE.EXE. I tried to copy a XX.GIF  graphics
file from DF1: on the AMIGA side down to the Bridge side drive A:

The Program appeared to come across but I sould not display the file with the PC
gif file viewer called CSHOW.EXE... I took the IBM diskette to work and I could
not view it on any IBM or clones either!... The manual says these files (Awrite
/AREAD) work. YEP the files were transfered but the gif files would not work...
What NOW?????

Are the files AREAD / AWRITE used strictly for ASCII files?.... ANy help
would be appreciated...

Richard Casebolt
205-544-2966

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (08/15/89)

In article <21653@louie.udel.EDU> casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov writes:
$[Problems using AREAD/AWRITE to transfer GIF files...]

You need to use the /B qualifier when moving binary files.  I think
this will solve your problem.

	Paul.

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (08/16/89)

In article <21653@louie.udel.EDU> casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov writes:
>I have a 2088 bridge card in my A2000 and have tried using the programs
>supplied with the card to port files to / from the AMIGA side. Specifically
>the programs are AREAD.EXE and AWRITE.EXE. I tried to copy a XX.GIF  graphics
>file from DF1: on the AMIGA side down to the Bridge side drive A:
>
>The Program appeared to come across but I sould not display the file with the PC
>gif file viewer called CSHOW.EXE... I took the IBM diskette to work and I could
>not view it on any IBM or clones either!... The manual says these files (Awrite
>/AREAD) work. YEP the files were transfered but the gif files would not work...
>What NOW?????
>
>Are the files AREAD / AWRITE used strictly for ASCII files?.... ANy help
>would be appreciated...

Now there's a good question.  I have a Sidecar and I can't get Aread
and Awrite to work at all.  Do I have to have an external 5 1/4" drive
to use these programs?  How about Janus 2.0?  Any reply would save
me a phone call to CATS.

                                   - Bear

--
------------------------ Signature Version 0.3 ------------------------------
Disclaimer:

"He's showing signs of pressure psychosis and he has a nuclear weapon."

                                         - The Abyss

Blair "Bear" Burtan, Boston University's Resident Amiga Expert
which isn't saying much.

bear@bucsb.bu.edu   bear@bucsf.bu.edu   bear@buengf.bu.edu
bear@bu-pub.bu.edu  enge05c@buacca.bu.edu

dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) (08/17/89)

bear@bucsb.bu.edu   asks:
>>I have a 2088 bridge card in my A2000 and have tried using the programs
[lines about aread/awrite problems deleted]
>Now there's a good question.  I have a Sidecar and I can't get Aread
>and Awrite to work at all.  Do I have to have an external 5 1/4" drive
>to use these programs?  How about Janus 2.0?  Any reply would save
>me a phone call to CATS.

	Yes, AREAD and AWRITE work on a SideCar, to get them to run you must
	first RUN PC/PCDISK on the Amiga side.  Also, there is an undocumented
	(in v1.0 of Janus) switch needed to transfer binary files that is you
	must add a /b at the end of the command line if the file transfered
	(either way) is binary.

	aread df0:amigafile c:ms_dos_file /b
	awrite c:ms_dos_file df0:amigafile /b

	However, you can not reliably (if at all) read/write to a JLINKed
	file during an AREAD or AWRITE.

	Yes, Janus v2.0 works fine with the SideCar, go to your nearest
	dealer, bring your ORIGINAL Janus disk and a formatted 5.25"
	floppy (MS-DOS formatted that is).  Your dealer is permitted to
	copy the new Janus software to your original disk (or maybe even
	a different disk, as long as they see you have an original) and
	also to copy the AmigaUtilities MS-DOS disk (but not the MS-DOS
	system disks v3.3 themselves).  You will need both the MS-DOS
	and the AmigaDOS files and you must replace ALL the original
	Janus files with the new files.

		While you're at your dealers, take a good long hard look at
	new manual and make notes.  There are some significant changes
	and lots of new features.

	BTW, you dealer is not required to make the copies, however they
	are permitted to do so IF the dealer so desires.  Or at least that
	is the last I heard from CBM about whether it was permissible to
	make the copies or not.

	Your other alternative is to wait until CBM brings out a Janus
	enhancer package...it should be soon.  No price known at this
	time but it will include the disks and manual and is *expected*
	to sell in the near $25 price range (+ or - a few $$).

--
/*
**	 		Don Curtis   ....boulder!tcr!dcpc!dc