[comp.sys.amiga] Rez and Manx C assembler.

erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) (08/16/89)

I have been trying to make the Manx C assembler "as" resident with "rez".
The problem is this :
o	I make "as" resident with "rez -l as".  I have also made
	cc, ln, and make resident.
o	Then I remove the assembler along with the others.
	It is loaded into rez now.
o	I do a make.  cc and ln are run (ln fails because of a lack of .o
	files).  "as" however is not run.  All three are loaded into rez.

If I load "as" into either c: or bin: the make does work.  Additionally the
count rez keeps for how many times a program is used is incremented by each
use.  It wasn't incremented when the "as" wasn't in c:.

I suspect the problem lies in cc calling "as".  It probably does it some how
that circumnavigates rez.

Are there any patches to cc to take care of this.  Is there another way
(besides separately calling the assembler from the make file).

Also have there been any new releases of rez.  I am using Shell 3.01 which
has a resident in it, but I think the resident only works with programs
run from the shell and won't work with make.  Commodore's resident program
works in a similar manner and therefore isn't of any use in this instant.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

			Thanks,
				Erik Johannes

ranjit@niven.cis.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (08/16/89)

In article <284@unmvax.unm.edu> erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) writes:

>I have been trying to make the Manx C assembler "as" resident with "rez".

This is probably of relatively general interest.  My solution is this:
First, manually load as into rez:
	rez as
	as	/* terminates with error: 'no source file specified' */
then create an empty file in the working directory called 'as':
	touch as	or	type to as

This makes CC happy.  Apparently it has its own search path,
and when it finds the empty 'as' it calls LoadSeg on it, which
is intercepted by rez.

I have a script file to do this for me when I set up my Aztec environment.
I also preload cc and ln, because I get more impatient while compiling
then while setting up the environment.

With all the compiler stages made resident and the libraries in
RAM: and the linker in quiet mode, the system is wonderfully fast.

	- ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
	   "Such a brute that even his shadow breaks things." (Lorca)

rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org (Richard A. Champeaux) (08/17/89)

In article <13706@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@niven.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>In article <284@unmvax.unm.edu> erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) writes:
>>
>>I have been trying to make the Manx C assembler "as" resident with "rez".
>
>This is probably of relatively general interest.  My solution is this:
>First, manually load as into rez:
>	rez as
>	as	/* terminates with error: 'no source file specified' */
>then create an empty file in the working directory called 'as':
>	touch as	or	type to as
>
>This makes CC happy.  Apparently it has its own search path,
>and when it finds the empty 'as' it calls LoadSeg on it, which
>is intercepted by rez.
>
>	- ranjit

I have never had a problem with rez and Manx C.  I have a line like this in
my startup-sequence:

rez cc as ln make sdb ue ls

That's all I do, and everything works just fine.  Maybe I have an older version
of rez, but I'm using version 3.6a of Aztec C.

Rich Champeaux  (rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org)
                very soon to be: rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu

*
*
* extra lines to make rn happy.
*
*
*
* I guess you could think of it as a very boring signature.
*
*
*

rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org (Richard A. Champeaux) (08/17/89)

It seems very odd that people are having trouble with rez and Aztec C.  Isn't
the guy who wrote rez one of the people who wrote the Aztec C compiler.  Like
I said in my last post, I've had no problem with the combination.