[comp.sys.amiga] the Amiga Alpha

DANLOY@POLYGRAF.BITNET (08/16/89)

  I've heard from a friend (I think he's been smoking some chip dust),
about news of a Amiga Alpha (since he says, CBM cannot decide whether to
name it the 3000, 4000 (since it has a 68040 -- I tell him no way - but
he fights to the death on this point) or the Alpha.)
  Now come his list of equipment: (Not a dream wish according to him)
    A Super Duper Agnes capable of accessing 128K of chip ram
    A 460 Mb harddrive (ability to virtual Agnes chip ram)
    A read/write optical disk of about a Gig
    A built in genlock
    A built in 32 bit - 32 voice sound system
    A built in 386/387 or eventual 486 option
    A 68040
    64 Mb of Chip Ram
    512 Mb of Fast Ram
    A Mac emulator option
    A Unix board
    A Mac, MS-DOS, Amiga internal drives

  Now -- I disclaim all this information!
  My friend will fight to the death that he has talked to a developer
  and has seen demos (videos and tapes) of this new Amiga as a prototype
  unvieling.  Honestly - I think he's tripping.
  The demos included -- Walt Disney, Ford and another company.
  Ford and the other company (I forgot the name - it dealt with airplanes)
  made one minute commercials for their company spotlighting the potential
  of the new Amiga as they designed a prototype car or airplane in 5 days.
  Then the tapes had superb digitized music where the Amiga sings.
  I'm telling you - my friend has some delusions.
  I want to know exactly how much bull is this guy eating from this
  developer, or how much bull he's trying to shovel me, because he's
  more a danger to himself than the Amiga community and I would like
  to set this guy straight about obvious lying.  So all you loyal
  Amigans, I beseech thee for the correct information about the upcoming
  Amiga 3000 for all of our sakes.  Thank you.

  Mitch Spinner (this is not my account, but send replies here anyway)

  A public service message..

  Disclaimer -- I make no claim that this information is based in reality

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/17/89)

In article <8556DANLOY@POLYGRAF> DANLOY@POLYGRAF.BITNET writes:

     I've heard from a friend (I think he's been smoking some chip dust),
   about news of a Amiga Alpha (since he says, CBM cannot decide whether to
   name it the 3000, 4000 (since it has a 68040 -- I tell him no way - but
   he fights to the death on this point) or the Alpha.)
     Now come his list of equipment: (Not a dream wish according to him)

(ridiculously out-there description of Amiga Orgasm Machine deleted,
along with disclaimers every other line)

Well..... given enough money, anything is possible with Amiga. :) Even
this wet-dream machine. However, I wouldn't want an Agnes that only
accessed 128k of Chip RAM, myself.... :)

The bit about 512Mb of fast ram was just too funny....

In short, as far as I know, there's about to be an 030 based Amiga
3000. But, I'd prefer to let those who read all of this group every
day clue you in. That's all I know myself. In any case, thank you for
a very entertaining reminder of just how inspired Amigoids can get at
times. :)
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///  Un-PC quote: Piracy is amoral; pirates who

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/17/89)

In article <8556DANLOY@POLYGRAF> DANLOY@POLYGRAF.BITNET writes:
>  I've heard from a friend
>about news of a Amiga Alpha ...
>name it the 3000, 4000 (since it has a 68040 -- I tell him no way - but
>    A read/write optical disk of about a Gig
>    A 68040
>    64 Mb of Chip Ram
>    512 Mb of Fast Ram

	Oh my god.  Didn't somebody post a JOKE to the net a few months
ago describing a fake machine like this?
	Don't tell me someone took it seriously!?

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator      barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  ARPANET: barrett@cs.jhu.edu                            |
|                    BITNET:  ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                        |
|                    UUCP:    ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP                     noog |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

marco@hprnd.HP.COM (Marco Gonzalez) (08/18/89)

>   A Super Duper Agnes capable of accessing 128K of chip ram
	128K of chip ram is just one fourth of the normal Agnus!
	IMHO I don't think this can be any true.

>    A 460 Mb harddrive (ability to virtual Agnes chip ram)
>    A read/write optical disk of about a Gig
	What would you need a hard disk of 460 MB when having
	one GB of mass storage like the optical disk???
>    A built in genlock
>    A built in 32 bit - 32 voice sound system
>    A built in 386/387 or eventual 486 option
>    A 68040
>    64 Mb of Chip Ram
	How come a "Super Duper Agnes capable of accessing 128K of chip RAM"
	will use 64Mb (Mega bits?) of chip RAM ??

>    512 Mb of Fast Ram
	Wow!, this is a serious memory. It will need a HUGE HUGE power supply
	to feed this beast, and a place to put 4096 (1Mb) DRAMS, not including
	the chip RAM!!

>    A Mac emulator option
	We already have that.

>    A Unix board
	The only type of UN*X I've used is SOFTWARE (or is that it also has
	an AmigaDOS board??).         ?B^)
>    A Mac, MS-DOS, Amiga internal drives

	I bet it will retail for about  $120,000 (about the price of the memory
	ALONE!) ?B^)

	I think you are right about your friend smoking something weird! B^)
	This is to much for a wish list, because even is such an AMIGA can be made,
	It won't be for the normal home user, and sure it won't be in most
	dealers' shelves.
	And judging for the obvious contradictions in his statements, there is
	no such Alpha or AMIGA 4000.

------------ My opinions in NO WAY reflect those of H.P.