[comp.sys.amiga] Minix, Unix on the Amiga, and flames - Extingushed - fizzle

gmd@pulsar.UUCP (George MacDonald) (08/11/89)

>  *sigh*  Here I go again.

Geesh what a lot to respond too, I'll cut it down to just a couple of points

> Kevin> I'll agree with you that AmigaDOS is half way decent for the
> Kevin> user interface, although from a programmer's standpoint, the
> Kevin> operating system itself is about the buggiest thing I have ever
> Kevin> seen.  When my Amiga crashes CLI's for no apparent reason, I
> Kevin> would tend to think there must be something better out there,
> Kevin> especially since Minix comes with SOURCE CODE!!!!

Get Real!! My amiga runs for days/weeks on end without crashing. In
some ways it's been more reliable than my sun's at work with their
new major OS release 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2/4.0.3 ...... It's not the OS that's
causing your problems.

I run all sorts of stuff i.e. DCRON/AmigaUUCP/pyro/backdrop/wicon/mclk/
virusx/ all the time!!

Then I run a lot of the following doing all sorts of business things -
Word processing, Accounting, mail, logging into various sites ....

Directory of Work:c
 14compress         AmigaCron          Anews              Anews-SetUp
 Brun               Compress           Detab              Entab
 ErrorLOG           From               GPrint             Head
 IconImage          Mail               Man                More
 New_Mail           New_News           OnePlane           Play8SVX
 Pnews-E            Pnews-M            PostNews           Pyro
 ReadMsg            Rmail              Rnews              RunBack
 SetFont            Shar               ShowFont           TSnip
 Tail               Tee                Trunc              UUCP
 UUhosts            UUlog              UnBatcher          UnShar
 ViewILBM           VirusX             arc                backdrop
 booz               calls              csh                dcron
 file               files              flow               fold
 fts                ispell             less               lpr
 mclk               news_filter.sh     newzap             nro
 prnro              profile            qcat               qt
 smush              stevie             strings            subj.bak
 subj.sh            tar                tek                uls
 unbatchfc          ushow              uuCICO             uuDECODE
 uuENCODE           uuNAME             uuPOLL             uuX
 uuXQT              vi                 vt100              warp
 wc                 whatcpu            whereis            wicon
 xicon              zoo

Most of these are very reliable public domain programs that make life on
the Amiga a joy!!!

> First, I think AmigaDOS's UI sucks.  But that depends to a degree on
> what you're used to.  I'm used to Unix, and I find AmigaDOS annoying
> and clumsy, and often frustratingly limiting.

What a load of absolute drivel!! AmigaDOS is not that much different than
unix sh, CLI is even better in some way's. More natural history than csh/ksh
and more consistent arguments than the multitude of unix programs.
If you miss *.?[0-9]funky.stuff then get the csh for the amiga. I use it
all the time now, it's reliable and I don't have to think about which
machine I'm on.

What IS poor is the BCPL shit showing up in the programming interface.
                         ^

Your point is well taken, your language is not!! Read NETTIQUETE AGAIN!!

>I don't see that Minix/Unix on an Amiga need be any more of a headache
>for system maintenance and administration than AmigaDOS itself is.
>Yes, Unix is multiuser, but that doesn't need to complicate things
>much.  Managing an AmigaDOS system well can be a lot of work as well.
>[unless you LIKE using only the stock configuration...]

Having just repaired my hard drive on the amiga and debugging a new disk
installation on some sun systems I would say the amiga is A LOT easier to
deal with!! It is much better at fixing the file system, diskdoctor is
easier to use than fsck/fsdb.

> Bernie> There are also other disadvantages to Unix-like systems.  I've
> Bernie> not seen one yet that had decent real-time response.

> And how often do you run across Unix systems without MMUs?  Virtual
> memory can slow a system way down.  (So much easier on the Amiga, it
> just crashes.)  Real-time Unix systems DO exist.  Most are not.  The
> Amiga Exec OS achieves excellent response by not supporting VM,
> message-passing by reference, strict task prioritizing and other such
> little tricks.  They can work nicely and attain impressive speed and
> response time, but there ARE clear drawbacks.
                                     ^

You really mean good design decisions and clear tradeoffs.
No system can give you everything, the amiga operating system gives perhaps
the best single user co-operative multitasking system available today.
Virtual Memory and protected systems are only really required in multi-user
systems when one needs protection from other users. I am willing to trade
the advantage of VM on MY machine to achieve maximum response. The Amiga
has done a very good job at this, my 2500 FEELS very fast and very smooth.
I never run out of memory an IF the machine crashes I know instantly who
caused it, ME not some one else hacking on a device driver.

> The responsiveness of Exec is excellent.  AmigaDOS isn't always so
> hot.  Consider directory scans, a VERY common operation, which is
> slow as all hell.  [and don't bother to mention FFS -- it's
> backpatching to make the file system what it should've been to begin
> with.]

There is still room to improve FFS, perhaps caching the file names in a
fname block list. This would provide a quick dir at the exspense of more
work when adding/deleting files/dirs. Also the disk can be packed more
efficently, without messing with the basic model of file system structure.
And FFS is not THAT different than the original file system.

> Bernie> There is also a more elegance of design to the AmigaDos
> Bernie> system.

> AmigaDOS?  More elegant than Unix?  Don't make me laugh.

The model of devices being dynamically loaded entities is just NOW
being added to unix as is shared libaries and er um windows. Each OS
has some winning "features" and each has some things not to be proud of.

> Bernie> but it's the utilities!

Finally a meaningful comment!! But then spoiled by foul language again!!

> Bernie> Life is not worth living if I can't come in early in the morning
> Bernie> and grep a few files to start my day.  With make, diff, awk,
> Bernie> etc. etc. etc. life is so much easier.

Oh you mean like the make, diff, egrep, sed, tee, ... on MY amiga
Of course I just need to click on that cute little box in the upper right
and pop up my vt100 window which automatically logged into the Sun just
as I got up. Geesh and I haven't even finished eating breakfast yet!!!

> Yes.

See you knew I was right 8-).

Go ahead, make myday

--
      /\  George MacDonald, Pulsar Software Inc. - Unix Software Consultants
_____/  \    _____  ..{harvard,decvax}!zinn!pulsar!gmd or gmd@pulsar.mv.com

In <SHADOW.89Aug13055924@pawl.rpi.edu>, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>George> Oh you mean like the make, diff, egrep, sed, tee, ... on MY
>George> amiga Of course I just need to click on that cute little box
>George> in the upper right and pop up my vt100 window which
>George> automatically logged into the Sun just as I got up. Geesh and
>George> I haven't even finished eating breakfast yet!!!
>
>Great, that proves nothing.  So you can use your Amiga as a terminal
>to a Unix machine and get all those wonderful utilities.  That doesn't
>give you that functionality ON THE AMIGA.

Well, I have those utilities on my Amiga as well. Just because George doesn't,
don't assume that they aren't there. The one slight exception is that 'sed' is
called 'see' (put out by Rick Schaeffer), but the exception is in name only.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/13/89)

On 11 Aug 89 05:57:09 GMT, gmd@pulsar.UUCP (George MacDonald) said:

Deven> *sigh*  Here I go again.

George> Geesh what a lot to respond too, I'll cut it down to just a
George> couple of points

You're a bit late responding. I thought this thread was dead.

Kevin> I'll agree with you that AmigaDOS is half way decent for the
Kevin> user interface, although from a programmer's standpoint, the
Kevin> operating system itself is about the buggiest thing I have ever
Kevin> seen.  When my Amiga crashes CLI's for no apparent reason, I
Kevin> would tend to think there must be something better out there,
Kevin> especially since Minix comes with SOURCE CODE!!!!

George> Get Real!! My amiga runs for days/weeks on end without
George> crashing. In some ways it's been more reliable than my sun's
George> at work with their new major OS release 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2/4.0.3
George> ...... It's not the OS that's causing your problems.

George> I run all sorts of stuff i.e.  DCRON/AmigaUUCP/pyro/backdrop/
George> wicon/mclk/virusx all the time!!

George> Then I run a lot of the following doing all sorts of business
George> things - Word processing, Accounting, mail, logging into
George> various sites ....

George> Directory of Work:c

[who cares?]

George> Most of these are very reliable public domain programs that
George> make life on the Amiga a joy!!!

Not always so reliable.  Maybe you've been lucky.

Deven> First, I think AmigaDOS's UI sucks.  But that depends to a
Deven> degree on what you're used to.  I'm used to Unix, and I find
Deven> AmigaDOS annoying and clumsy, and often frustratingly limiting.

George> What a load of absolute drivel!! AmigaDOS is not that much
George> different than unix sh, CLI is even better in some way's.

Get a clue.  The AmigaDOS CLI is worthless.  It does virtually
nothing.  The Bourne shell is a language in its own right.  The CLI
isn't even a scripting language, much as you may think it is.  ALL
commands are external to the CLI, including script commands like if,
else, endif, _endcli_ and even simple commands like echo.  The stock
Amiga CLI simply doesn't compare to Unix sh, csh, ksh, tcsh, or just
about any other Unix shell you might run across.

George> More natural history than csh/ksh and more consistent
George> arguments than the multitude of unix programs.

Csh has history substitution, ksh has history editing.  The Amiga CLI
has neither.  AmigaShell does add reasonable (if slightly buggy)
history editing and aliases, which makes it almost reasonable.  But
that's not the CLI.

George> If you miss *.?[0-9]funky.stuff then get the csh for the
George> amiga.

That's not the point.  The point was that the AmigaDOS _CLI_ was poor,
along with the command names and syntax.  The fact that there's csh
clones (somewhat limited when compared to the real C-Shell, but far
far superior to the AmigaDOS CLI) doesn't change my opinion that the
AmigaDOS UI sucks.

George> I use it all the time now, it's reliable and I don't have to
George> think about which machine I'm on.

If you don't notice a difference between Dillon's (et al) csh and the
real csh, then you're using a small subset of its features.

Deven> What IS poor is the BCPL shit showing up in the programming
Deven> interface.

George> Your point is well taken, your language is not!! Read
George> NETTIQUETE AGAIN!!

It's known as *emphasis*...  or can't you understand that?

Deven> I don't see that Minix/Unix on an Amiga need be any more of a
Deven> headache for system maintenance and administration than
Deven> AmigaDOS itself is.  Yes, Unix is multiuser, but that doesn't
Deven> need to complicate things much.  Managing an AmigaDOS system
Deven> well can be a lot of work as well.  [unless you LIKE using only
Deven> the stock configuration...]

George> Having just repaired my hard drive on the amiga and debugging
George> a new disk installation on some sun systems I would say the
George> amiga is A LOT easier to deal with!! It is much better at
George> fixing the file system, diskdoctor is easier to use than
George> fsck/fsdb.

Try paying attention to what I say once in a while.  I wasn't saying
most Unix systems aren't more complicated than AmigaDOS.  I was saying
that a Unix implementation for the Amiga doesn't _need_ to be so
complicated.  I have proposed writing something similar to Unix V7,
which is MUCH simpler than SysV or BSD systems nowadays.  A Unix-like
system on the Amiga could well be written to fix the filesystem far
better than AmigaDOS does, as well.

Bernie> There are also other disadvantages to Unix-like systems.  I've
Bernie> not seen one yet that had decent real-time response.

Deven> And how often do you run across Unix systems without MMUs?
Deven> Virtual memory can slow a system way down.  (So much easier on
Deven> the Amiga, it just crashes.)  Real-time Unix systems DO exist.
Deven> Most are not.  The Amiga Exec OS achieves excellent response by
Deven> not supporting VM, message-passing by reference, strict task
Deven> prioritizing and other such little tricks.  They can work
Deven> nicely and attain impressive speed and response time, but there
Deven> ARE clear drawbacks.

[specifically, demand-paged VM]

George> You really mean good design decisions and clear tradeoffs.

I stated that there are advantages and drawbacks.  Whether they are
good design decisions or not is context-dependent.

George> No system can give you everything, the amiga operating system
George> gives perhaps the best single user co-operative multitasking
George> system available today.  Virtual Memory and protected systems
George> are only really required in multi-user systems when one needs
George> protection from other users.

No, when you need protection from YOURSELF.  If a process crashes, on
the Amiga, it can trash all sorts of stuff before the system catches
it and brings down the machine along with everything else running.  A
memory-protected system will continue running happily.  Memory
protection is not an outgrowth of paranoia.

George> I am willing to trade the advantage of VM on MY machine to
George> achieve maximum response.

Memory protection and vitrual memory are separate issues.  Memory
protection involves little performance overhead.

George> The Amiga has done a very good job at this, my 2500 FEELS very
George> fast and very smooth.  I never run out of memory an IF the
George> machine crashes I know instantly who caused it, ME not some
George> one else hacking on a device driver.

Yeah, well try asking someone on a one FLOPPY drive system with 512K
or even 1Meg of ram who wants to run a dozen things at once.  And you
often don't know what task caused a crash.  Who cares who ran it?
It's a single user system; of course you ran it.

Deven> The responsiveness of Exec is excellent.  AmigaDOS isn't always
Deven> so hot.  Consider directory scans, a VERY common operation,
Deven> which is slow as all hell.  [and don't bother to mention FFS --
Deven> it's backpatching to make the file system what it should've
Deven> been to begin with.]

George> There is still room to improve FFS, perhaps caching the file
George> names in a fname block list. This would provide a quick dir at
George> the exspense of more work when adding/deleting files/dirs.
George> Also the disk can be packed more efficently, without messing
George> with the basic model of file system structure.  And FFS is not
George> THAT different than the original file system.

Yes, FFS *is* THAT different from the old file system.  And the old
file system is what I was referring to.  It is an abomination.

Bernie> There is also a more elegance of design to the AmigaDos
Bernie> system.

Deven>  AmigaDOS?  More elegant than Unix?  Don't make me laugh.

George> The model of devices being dynamically loaded entities is just
George> NOW being added to unix as is shared libaries and er um
George> windows. Each OS has some winning "features" and each has some
George> things not to be proud of.

The shared libraries are solely a feature of Exec, for which AmigaDOS
can not take credit.  (It doesn't even *cooperate* with the shared
library design.  Ever try to SetFunction dos.library??)

Dynamically loaded devices is of the few things AmigaDOS does well.
(volume handling and assigned devices being others.)  But Unix
provided an excellent model for a number of things (such as pipes)
which AmigaDOS ignores.

Bernie> but it's the utilities!

George> Finally a meaningful comment!! But then spoiled by foul
George> language again!!

You seem be really hung up on language.  Don't take it out on the net.

[and try to keep it straight who says what.]

Bernie> Life is not worth living if I can't come in early in the
Bernie> morning and grep a few files to start my day.  With make,
Bernie> diff, awk, etc. etc. etc. life is so much easier.

George> Oh you mean like the make, diff, egrep, sed, tee, ... on MY
George> amiga Of course I just need to click on that cute little box
George> in the upper right and pop up my vt100 window which
George> automatically logged into the Sun just as I got up. Geesh and
George> I haven't even finished eating breakfast yet!!!

Great, that proves nothing.  So you can use your Amiga as a terminal
to a Unix machine and get all those wonderful utilities.  That doesn't
give you that functionality ON THE AMIGA.

Deven> Yes.

George> See you knew I was right 8-).

Wow, clever.

George> Go ahead, make myday

Go ahead...  make my sandwich.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

nop@cup.portal.com (Randy G Jouett) (08/14/89)

Deven,

	I think I can speak for the entire net by saying that it isn't
that we don't agree with many of your well thought comments; rather, it's
the frame of mind and emphasis that you project in a hostile manor.

	In the short time that I have been on this earth I have learned at
least one important rule: if you want people to listen to what you have to
say, then do it in a mild tone, soft voice. That is, don't SHOUT; it is an
in-built nature to take shouting as a hostile action. Also, rather than
saying "THIS IS THE WAY IT IS -- PERIOD!", try turning your statement into
a question. Not only will increase the discussion, it will also give the
person at the other end a chance to think about what you are saying and
flater him at the same time (e.g., your asking for his advice).

	I know that there is a real intelligent mind behind those postings
that you make, Deven. Hopefully, you will try this suggestion and learn
from it. BTW, I ignored the above information for about 2-3 years after
my father handed it over to me :). Aren't dad's great!?

P.S.    This is not a "hey -- this is the way it is, idiot!" type of
posting, and I sure as heck hope it doesn't come out that way. I would
have e-mailed this, but I think that good info like this should be shared.

Type at ya' later,

Randy
--
Randy Jouett  sun!portal!cup.portal.com!nop | nop@cup.portal.com
BIX: rjouett  Amateur Radio: KB5YL.

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/15/89)

On 14 Aug 89 04:43:07 GMT, nop@cup.portal.com (Randy G Jouett) said:

Randy> I think I can speak for the entire net by saying that it isn't
Randy> that we don't agree with many of your well thought comments;
Randy> rather, it's the frame of mind and emphasis that you project in
Randy> a hostile manor.

Glad to meet you, Mr. Net.  No, it's only bad when I end up posting in
the middle of the night when I haven't had enough sleep...  or when I
see people posting stupid things...  and especially both!  *sigh*

Randy> In the short time that I have been on this earth I have
Randy> learned at least one important rule: if you want people to
Randy> listen to what you have to say, then do it in a mild tone, soft
Randy> voice. That is, don't SHOUT; it is an in-built nature to take
Randy> shouting as a hostile action. Also, rather than saying "THIS IS
Randy> THE WAY IT IS -- PERIOD!", try turning your statement into a
Randy> question. Not only will increase the discussion, it will also
Randy> give the person at the other end a chance to think about what
Randy> you are saying and flater him at the same time (e.g., your
Randy> asking for his advice).

Actually, I'm much more diplomatic in person than I must seem on the
net.  And, I don't shout.  But I will say what's on my mind.

Randy> I know that there is a real intelligent mind behind those
Randy> postings that you make, Deven. Hopefully, you will try this
Randy> suggestion and learn from it. BTW, I ignored the above
Randy> information for about 2-3 years after my father handed it over
Randy> to me :). Aren't dad's great!?

Ah, but would you think it might work?  ;-)

Randy> P.S.  This is not a "hey -- this is the way it is, idiot!" type
Randy> of posting, and I sure as heck hope it doesn't come out that
Randy> way. I would have e-mailed this, but I think that good info
Randy> like this should be shared.

Well, hey!  That's the way it is, idiot!  :-)

Randy> Type at ya' later,

Oh, save me.

Deven

--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750
Bitnet:  deven@rpitsmts, userfxb6@rpitsmts     UUCP:  uunet!rpi!deven
Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible.

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/16/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Aug13055924@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

Well, I was hoping the thread would fizzle as the title suggests, but...

Comparing the 1.2 release of the Amiga OS in order to make points
is kind of, ummm, silly ?  Yes, that's the word I was looking for,
especially since 1.3 has been out for quite awhile.  So using the
CLI and old filesystem, to name but two instances, while rejecting
the existance of the shell and FastFileSystem for the purposes
of argument does not win any points.  For all purposes the standard
CLI *is* the shell.  And the standard filesystem for hard disks
is the FastFileSystem.  A module does not have to be in rom to
be a standard.

(BTW, the shell having a limited set of internal functions is a
 rather moot point.  Through the use of the Resident command,
 a large number of functions can be added to the Shell.  When
 a program is added to the shell via Resident, it is added in
 a global manner; each Shell has access to the function)

This is assuming, of course, that there's any point to the argument
at all....

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  The Law of Software Envelopment

  Every program at MIT attempts to expand until it can read mail.
  Those programs which cannot expand are replaced by ones which can.

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/18/89)

On 15 Aug 89 21:42:47 GMT, andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) said:

Andy> Well, I was hoping the thread would fizzle as the title
Andy> suggests, but...

*sigh* sooner or later.

Andy> Comparing the 1.2 release of the Amiga OS in order to make
Andy> points is kind of, ummm, silly ?  Yes, that's the word I was
Andy> looking for, especially since 1.3 has been out for quite awhile.

1.3 has been out for awhile, but it doesn't address many of the
concerns.  Admittedly, AmigaShell is pretty much the "stock" text
interface to AmigaDOS, so AmigaDOS deserves credit for input history
editing, at least.

Andy> So using the CLI and old filesystem, to name but two instances,
Andy> while rejecting the existance of the shell and FastFileSystem
Andy> for the purposes of argument does not win any points.

The AmigaShell you can count.  FastFileSystem you cannot.  FFS is
nice, and fixes many of the worst problems with the OFS, but it leaves
floppy users out in the cold.  Until it's the default on ALL drives,
(in 1.4, presumably) you can't count it.

Andy> For all purposes the standard CLI *is* the shell.

Accepted.

Andy> And the standard filesystem for hard disks is the
Andy> FastFileSystem.

For *hard* disks.  You shouldn't ignore floppy users.

Andy> A module does not have to be in rom to be a standard.

Never claimed or implied so.

Andy> (BTW, the shell having a limited set of internal functions is a
Andy> rather moot point.  Through the use of the Resident command, a
Andy> large number of functions can be added to the Shell.  When a
Andy> program is added to the shell via Resident, it is added in a
Andy> global manner; each Shell has access to the function)

Granted, the Resident command is a valuable tool for extending the
shell.  However, it still doesn't give you variables, command
substitution, command piping, file globbing and other such built-in
functions Unix shells give you.

Andy> This is assuming, of course, that there's any point to the
Andy> argument at all....

Not all too much.  Why do you think I was hoping this thread died?

Deven