Date: Mon, 04 Jul 88 16:06:03 EDT
From:      <POSTMASTER@FNAL>
Sender: Network Mailer <MAL@CORNELLC>
Comment: forwarded mail
To: BIT@CORNELLC

Date:     Mon,  4 Jul 88 14:56 CDT
From:     <POSTMASTER@FNAL>
Subject:  Returned Network Mail
To:       MAL@CORNELLC

Your mail is being returned to you.
Reason for return is:
%MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node MSUHEP
-SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable
Returned mail follows:
------------------------------
From: frambo: ;
MMDF-Warning:  Parse error in original version of preceding line at UDEL.EDU
Subject: Re: RunBackGround vs. AmiCron
Date: 4 Jul 88 18:19:17 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

A big THANX to all the people who e-mailed me on how to re-direct
output from commands invoked by AmiCron.
Some of them said to use ASyncRun from the ARP.library, others said
to take a look at Matt's csh and find out how he did it.

Well, ASyncRun isn't the solution, because
a) ARP isn't a standard Amiga feature (yet)
b) this function (as far as I understood the documentation) won't
   allow me to direct the output of SEVERAL commands to ONE CronOut
   file, since I have to pass filehandles, which I only get if the
   file is not in use, which means that I have to wait for the last
   command to finish it's activities, which leads to a jam of waiting
   commands and/or deadlock. (Gee, I'll have reduce the lenght of my
   sentences before someone gets lost in 'em.) :-)

Now Matt's stuff seem's to be more like it, he actually redirects the
CIS and COS handles. Although I still feel a little dizzy and have
that urgent desire for an aspirin after looking at Matts code, :-)
I think this will be the way to go.
It's in execom.c, where Matt does his magic to support pipes, if
inquiring minds wanna know.

If I can't figure out what Matt does there (but I think I'll get it,
sooner or later :-)), there is still that fork() path...

I'll try to coordinate myself with Mike Meyer, who's also busy doing
some work on AmiCron.

See ya guys/gals? at AmiExpo...

--   __  __
  / /   |  \ \    <CB> aka Christian Balzer - The Software Brewery -        //
 / /    |   \ \   UUCP : decwrl!{frambo|fra03|fra04}.dec.com!schabacker    //
< <     |---<  >    or : schabacker@{frambo|fra03|fra04}.dec.com       \\ //
 \ \    |   / /   CIS  : 71001,210 (Be brief!) | Phone: +49 6150 4151   \X/
  \ \__ |__/ /    Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G
                  "And now for something completely different..."

For all you do, this disclaimer's for you!

bogus@vapor (Anonymous) (08/19/89)

In article <5660053@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.cv.hp.com (Charles Brown)
writes:

>Note *
> The Amiga does not have DPVM (Demand Paged Virtual Memory) so this
> last case is hypothetical.

Gaak! Pfff! Nack!