[comp.sys.amiga] Was : Go-Amigo Now : Bri-wall

wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (08/10/89)

>>>I have been considering buying an AMIGA 2000 system through GO-AMIGO
>>>mail order. I would like some recommendations concerning GO-AMIGO (ie
>
>I would instead recommend BRi-WALL which advertises in Amiga World.  Why?

    [ Good stuff about Bri-wall deleted]

>  * Refund FOR ANY REASON minus 10% restocking fee
>  * Exchange/Credit for 100% (no fee) for any reason

If I remember correctly, (and I may not), Bri-wall's return policy is
on software items only.  Hardware they don't take back at all (unless
it's not working, of course).  So before you buy, make sure it is what
you want.

Note that this is NOT a reccomendation against Bri-wall.  I have bought
from them once and had no problems.  Just a minor clarification.

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/10/89)

	I thought I'd say a few words about Bri-wall.  Since it is only
a 20 minute drive from my home town, I went to visit the store a few
weeks ago.
	Well, it's not really a "store" but more like a small warehouse
that allows customers to shop there.  They had a fairly complete stock
of most Amiga programs, a few books, and a surprising amount of hardware.
	The Bri-wall employee I spoke with was friendly and courteous.
I was allowed to open any box of software in the store and examine its
contents, even if it was shrink-wrapped.  (They said they would just re-wrap
it later.)  I did not see any Amigas for trying out the software.
	Nice place.  The only thing I didn't like about Bri-wall was its
prices.  A flagrant example is MUSIC-X by MicroIllusions:  list price
$299, Bri-wall price $200, but Abel Supply sells it for $137.  Small
packages like games and little utilities were about $10 more expensive
at Bri-wall than they are at Abel Supply.
	However, Abel usually takes longer, since they often don't have
things in stock.  I get my stuff from Abel usually within 10 days.
	I have no affiliation with Abel Supply and Bri-wall.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator      barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  ARPANET: barrett@cs.jhu.edu                            |
|                    BITNET:  ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                        |
|                    UUCP:    ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP                     noog |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Francois Kuan) (08/12/89)

Briwall rewraps the software that people return?
Earlier, someone said that you could return any software for
any reason, for a 10% restocking fee.

As far as I know, once you break the plastic, NO software is
returnable, unless the disk is defective. It appears to me that perhaps
there is the merest possibility that Briwall is doing a no-no.
Briwall is the first place I've heard
of that will let you return opened software. Other places I've dealt
with (LightSpeed, Go-Amigo, etc) insist that they can't take back
opened software.

Any lawyers out there want to clear this up?

Clarifications:
1. No insults to lawyers intended, although I'm sure someone will figure
   out a way to miscontrue my statement and blast me for it.
2. I am not accusing Briwall of being disreputable. I am merely questioning
   their policy of accepting returns for any reasons. I have nothing against
   Briwall, and have never done business with them.
3. I heard about Briwall's policy from a message on the net - Yes, I can
   document it and prove to everyone that I'm not just "fictionalizing" this
   to slander them.
4. Apologies to all forms of marine life for my racial slur against fish in
   the heading: "Something Fishy going on here!!"

______________________________________________________          Quantum _\/_
| 545 Sycamore Suite 207 |Frank Kuan                  |      |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
| Davis, Ca 95616        |Quantum Duck Software,      |     |\ \______/ / \\\
| 916-757-2925           |kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu       |    |\ <  <      |  \/
|________________________|____________________________|     \  \___//  /  Quark!
  "Any fool can criticize, codemn, and complain - and most fools do."

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (08/12/89)

In article <5093@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Francois Kuan) writes:

> Briwall rewraps the software that people return?
> Earlier, someone said that you could return any software for
> any reason, for a 10% restocking fee.
>
> As far as I know, once you break the plastic, NO software is
> returnable, unless the disk is defective. It appears to me that perhaps

What the original poster said was they would let you try it in the
store and rewrap if you chose not to buy it, if I remember correctly.
This may also be dubious, but it ain't as bad.

--
-Frank Cunningham	smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

			Real Recording Engineers mix direct to 2-track.

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/12/89)

In article <5093@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Francois Kuan) writes:
>Briwall rewraps the software that people return?

	YOU MISQUOTED ME.  THIS IS NOT WHAT I SAID.  RE-READ THE
POSTING!  YOUR POSTING MAY CAUSE PEOPLE TO AVOID AN EXCELLENT MAIL-ORDER
COMPANY.

	I said that I visited their store, and that Briwall allowed me to
open any software in the store to examine it and read the manual.
I could NOT try it out.  OBVIOUSLY, if I damaged the package or put
dirty fingerprints on the manual, I would have had to buy it:  "You
break it, you buy it!"

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) (08/19/89)

In article <5093@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Francois Kuan) writes:
>As far as I know, once you break the plastic, NO software is
>returnable, unless the disk is defective. It appears to me that perhaps
>there is the merest possibility that Briwall is doing a no-no.
>Briwall is the first place I've heard
>of that will let you return opened software.

This is simply not true. There is no reason why you should not be able to
return a program even after the shrink wrap is opened. I've seen
MANY places that allow this, and I will not buy software that does not
either allow me a trial or return.

Why might you not be able to return software after the wrap is broken?
Well, you might feel that the "shrink wrap license" claims so. However,
that went to court--the license failed. (Warning: I am not a lawer.
A friend of mine who IS a lawyer said that that only happened because of
the state that it occured in, and that if it were in any other state,
it would not have ruled in the same manner. He feels that the licenses
are in theory valid, but most are poorly worded and will lose on that
grounds)

Why else? Well, you could argue that the wrapped stuff implies "Factory
sealed, unused, new goods", and that you'd be getting used stuff instead.
No real answer to this, other than the package is indistinguishable
from a new, factory sealed package. (Ok, so maybe, just maybe there is
a reason. But ANY product will be tested before shipping, so you are
always getting a used product, not to mention that any program can be
dead when you get home.)

Consider this: Buy a shirt. Take it home. Doesn't
fit right. Take it back the next day, and get a refund.

Buy a vaccum. Use it once, not quite what you expected. Return for
refund.

What does Sears do with all the returned items? Sell them as used? No,
they test them, repackage, and sell as new.

			Michael