[comp.sys.amiga] NEED MORE INFO ON AMIGA BBS!

edl@trwind.UUCP (Ed Leonhardt ext 336) (08/17/89)

Hello NetFolks!

I requested for information on BBS software for the Amiga a while back
and received a number of responses, thanks!

The packages that were suggested included (in no particular order),
Citadel, BBS-PC!, Atredes, and some future release packages.

Now that I have some small amount of info on these, I find I need more
info before making any decision at all.

Do any of these packages support serial cards (multiple) in a 2000?
Which, if any, support Networking?
How Guru proof are they?
Do they have available source code?

Thanks today for any gratuitous responses that I may receive tomorrow,

-edl-

!trwrb!trwind!edl edl@trwind.ind.TRW.COM  *********** *******  ****  ****  ****
Ed Leonhardt, Building 153  Lobby        *********** ********* **** ***** ****
                                                          ****
TRW Information Networks Division          ****    **** ****   *************
23800 Hawthorne Boulevard                 ****    ****   ****  ***** ******
Torrance, CA 90505                       ****    ****     **** ****  *****
--

U.S. Mail:        ARPA:                    *********** *******  ****  ****  ****
Ed Leonhardt      edl@trwind.ind.TRW.COM  *********** ********* **** ***** ****

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (08/20/89)

In article <566@trwind.UUCP> edl@trwind.UUCP (Ed Leonhardt ext 336) writes:
>The packages that were suggested included (in no particular order),
>Citadel, BBS-PC!, Atredes, and some future release packages.

>Now that I have some small amount of info on these, I find I need more
>info before making any decision at all.

>Do any of these packages support serial cards (multiple) in a 2000?
>Which, if any, support Networking?
>How Guru proof are they?
>Do they have available source code?

My package falls in the future release category, but it isn't too far off.
My package is multiline, and will support multiple serial cards in an A2000.
In ALL of the development of my bbs package, my machine only gurued once,
and that was due to the 1.3 aux: device, which I have now scrapped.

Source IS available, because most of the bbs itself IS written in Arexx.
You might think Arexx is slow, and it is.  But you'll find that my
bbs is down right quick.  Even at 9600 or 19.2k baud.

I find that Arexx applications are quite stable, and seldom crash.  My
program does very little 'weird stuff' that could possibly crash the machine.

My bbs doesn't use much ram at all.  The 1st bbs you start will eat about
130k.  After that, additional bbs's will only use 80k.  The BBS eats NO
chip ram.  The only chip ram that is used is a user configurable control
window.

The menu system is very powerful, and compiled.  Doors may be written in
Arexx and have access to every function of the BBS.  Several doors will
be included, including a TIME BANK, where the user can store unused
online time in, and earn interest upon.  If the user requires more time
than he/she has in the bank, they can apply for a loan from the bank,
which is automaticaly resolved by the system.

A reasonably flexable database system is included which manages most
system files.  I provide support for several terminal types:
Skypic (If you choose to create those menus.  I don't provide any more
support for them except acknowledging their existance for any online
doors users may wish to write).
Colour and monochrome amiga and IBM ansi, and VT52 codes, as well
as televideo terminal support (Hey! I have a televideo :-)

File transfer protocols are also moduals, and I will include source on
how to write your own.  It is quite simple.

The bbs uses many resident dos commands that do jobs the bbs normaly would
have had to do (and thus making the BBS larger).  Also, since the
commands are resident, multiple bbs's running on diferent lines can
use the same commands.

That's just touching the tip of the iceberg.  I am using a friends
account until I get my own (shortly).  Feel free to mail me here.
I intend to distribute the 'guts' of the bbs (without some of the more special
online utilities, and lots of other stuff) as SHAREWARE.  It won't be
crippled, and will just be a nice little BBS that people can run, and
write online games or utilities for.  I want to sell the commercial
version for only $70 bucks.  A price like that will justify my
efforts and pay like any normal Summer Job. :-)

The software is nice.  Easy to maintain, doesn't run down.  Quite
crash proof and has decent error recovery, and if things go totaly
askew, it goes into braindead mode :-)

I made it mainly as a labour of love.  The current crop of amiga bbs's
would only rate 2 star (**) in my book.  For the most part, they are
cheezy attempts at programming, and anybody with more than 1/2 a mind
could have come up with a better package.

They were efforts, but I dunno... I don't like any of them.  Those are
my opinions anyway.  Contact me at:

Paul Sop
100 Kinzie Ave,
Kitchener, Ontario
CANADA, N2A 2J5
(519)-578-8525 . if busy, go with: (519)-742-0372