[comp.sys.amiga] Loosing files using WB

KHALID%PO8600@dupont.com (08/18/89)

>>Actually, if the truth be known, PageStream somehow created a bogus icon
>>in my document drawer that got tied to all of the files in that drawer.
>>There was a nameless "project" icon which, when I selected it and
>>discarded it, proceeded to delete all of the files in the directory.
>>Steven King could've written a novel about it. :-)
>>
>>That'll teach me to use the Trashcan.  :-)
>>
>    Hmmm. Sounds frighteningly similar to something that happened
>to me last fall. I had been dragging icons out onto the Workbench.
>One day I was working with TxEd, and had just closed it down and
>I noticed that there was an Icon on the Workbench that had no name
>under it. Well, without thinking I selected it and tried to discard
>it. The hard disk started gronk-gronk-gronking away. Then I got
>a requester saying "Cannot delete C:". Yikes! Sure enough, I checked
>and all my files from C: were gone, and a bunch of things from the
>root directory were gone too. Fortunately I had a recent backup.
>
>    Well, a month or so later another unnamed Icon appeared. This
>time I grabbed the icon and drug it to the RAM: disk icon. The hard
>>disk started gronking away and after a bit I got "RAM: is full".
cd'd to RAM:, and there was a directory there "RAM:sys". The unnamed
>icon was somehow attached to the system partition of my hard drive
>(it was a project icon)!!!
>
>>    Does anyone have an idea what could cause such a problem? Like
>Gary says above, be very careful about deleting from the workbench!

   So I am not the only one, I normally dont work with the workbench,
   but on occasions, I use it to test PD stuff etc. Two weeks ago,
   I was moving some stuff around and noticed that one of drawers
   was missing, I thought it wass a mistake and rebooted, well guess
   what? that drawer was  NOT there. I frantically tried looking into
   Trashcan, tried to use DiskDoctor but nothing... I lost about
   10 megabytes of data/image (90% of it was backed up). I have
   a 65 Meg Hard Disk -C Ltd.- and I have never had any problems
   prior to that (i.e. saying a lot since I have had it for two
   years now). I am still puzzled to what happend. (I am using
   WorkBench even less frequently now...)

Soofi

rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) (08/19/89)

I used a friend's 2000 w/hard drive.  When I clicked once on
a drawer icon and moved it one pixel it DISAPPEARED.  It jumped
into another directory whose icon was two icons directly above it.
I know it sounds strange, but it was repeatable although it had to
be done just right.  He nearly killed me when it first disappeared,
but everything was there - I just moved the drawer back out.  This
occurred in the main HD directory with a few different drawers.
For some reason, he didn't want me to check it out too thoroughly
:^).  Does anyone want to try it with their HD?
  - Bob
.standard disclaimer, etc. - first post!.

walrath@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (08/19/89)

/* Written  3:15 pm  Aug 17, 1989 by KHALID%PO8600@dupont.com in silver:comp.sys.amiga */
/* ---------- "Loosing files using WB" ---------- */

>>Actually, if the truth be known, PageStream somehow created a bogus icon
>>in my document drawer that got tied to all of the files in that drawer.
>>There was a nameless "project" icon which, when I selected it and
>>discarded it, proceeded to delete all of the files in the directory.
>>Steven King could've written a novel about it. :-)
>>
>>That'll teach me to use the Trashcan.  :-)
>>
>    Hmmm. Sounds frighteningly similar to something that happened
>to me last fall. I had been dragging icons out onto the Workbench.
>One day I was working with TxEd, and had just closed it down and
>I noticed that there was an Icon on the Workbench that had no name
>under it. Well, without thinking I selected it and tried to discard
>it. The hard disk started gronk-gronk-gronking away. Then I got
>a requester saying "Cannot delete C:". Yikes! Sure enough, I checked
>and all my files from C: were gone, and a bunch of things from the
>root directory were gone too. Fortunately I had a recent backup.
>
>    Well, a month or so later another unnamed Icon appeared. This
>time I grabbed the icon and drug it to the RAM: disk icon. The hard
>>disk started gronking away and after a bit I got "RAM: is full".
cd'd to RAM:, and there was a directory there "RAM:sys". The unnamed
>icon was somehow attached to the system partition of my hard drive
>(it was a project icon)!!!
>
>>    Does anyone have an idea what could cause such a problem? Like
>Gary says above, be very careful about deleting from the workbench!

   So I am not the only one, I normally dont work with the workbench,
   but on occasions, I use it to test PD stuff etc. Two weeks ago,
   I was moving some stuff around and noticed that one of drawers
   was missing, I thought it wass a mistake and rebooted, well guess
   what? that drawer was  NOT there. I frantically tried looking into
   Trashcan, tried to use DiskDoctor but nothing... I lost about
   10 megabytes of data/image (90% of it was backed up). I have
   a 65 Meg Hard Disk -C Ltd.- and I have never had any problems
   prior to that (i.e. saying a lot since I have had it for two
   years now). I am still puzzled to what happend. (I am using
   WorkBench even less frequently now...)

Soofi
/* End of text from silver:comp.sys.amiga */

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/20/89)

In article <201@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) writes:
>I used a friend's 2000 w/hard drive.  When I clicked once on
>a drawer icon and moved it one pixel it DISAPPEARED.  It jumped
>into another directory whose icon was two icons directly above it.
>I know it sounds strange, but it was repeatable although it had to
>be done just right.  He nearly killed me when it first disappeared,
>but everything was there - I just moved the drawer back out.

You didn't say which disk or what type of icons were giving you problems,
but it was probably the "Chest of Drawers" icons created by Gary Roseman.
They are on the 2nd and 3rd disks of Antic's Amiga-Plus magazine.

All of their drawer icons touch each other when stacked vertically.  (Gary
must have worked very hard to get those icons to work - they confuse
Workbench to the point where it puts the label of the drawer INSIDE the
rectange that encloses the image.)  Anyway, if you are double clicking on
the bottom drawer and the mouse happens move even one pixel up while the
button is down, POOF!  Workbench thinks you have moved the icon a large
vertical distance, and puts it inside the drawer two rows above it.

If nothing else, you can find the missing drawer by searching in every
drawer on the disk.

I plan to NOT use those icons because of this problem.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms