[comp.sys.amiga] Reduction Of Interlace Through Color Combinations

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (07/31/89)

	I'm looking for help in reducing flicker from interlace through the
use of color combinations, as opposed to physical/hardware methods such as
polarized glass or a flicker fixer.  If anybody's done some work with
interlace and has some good tips or maybe color combinations, I'd be really
grateful for the help.

Russell

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (08/02/89)

The best way to reduce flicker is to make sure all your horizontal lines
are at least two pixels high - at least most of the time.

Also, colors with minimal contrast work well.  For example, light grey
(12,12,12) over dark gray (3,3,3) works exceptionally well...if you're
looking for the Mac look.

The problem with using double height lines is that you are - presumably - no
further ahead then when you started (because you're still only achieving a
vertical resolution of 200).  The reason this is actually a sensible
approach is that you only have to place that restriction on long horizontal
runs (ie in excess of 10 pixels or so - varries with personal taste).  This
means that smaller text and many gadgets will not be effected.

--
Mark Vange				Phone Death Threats to:
Vanguard Distributing			(416) 730-1352  mark@xrtll

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (08/03/89)

>further ahead then when you started (because you're still only achieving a
>vertical resolution of 200).
     Actually, I use interlace mostly to get rid of pixel gap. I've got a
very high resolution monitor (monochrome, composite, but a resolution of
1000 lines vertical) and the scan lines in non-interlaced mode made the screen
look like it was made of horizontal neon bars spaced about an inch apart :-).
     However, I'm mostly looking forward to the ECS and WB1.4. I want
Professional mode.
--
| "Signature V1.2.1.2..." | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix@ukma.bitnet |
| "Got enough addresses, bub?" | CIS 72406,370 | PLink: Skywise      |

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (08/20/89)

In article <4973@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	I'm looking for help in reducing flicker from interlace through the
>use of color combinations, as opposed to physical/hardware methods such as
>polarized glass or a flicker fixer.  If anybody's done some work with
>interlace and has some good tips or maybe color combinations, I'd be really
>grateful for the help.
>
>Russell

My colors:

#   R G B  Name
-----------------------------
0:  9 4 0  Dark Reddish brown
1:  F B 0  Yellow
2:  0 4 9  Navy blue
3:  0 A 9  Aqua

Check it out now with your Extras:Tools/Palette.

(In case your not familiar with hexadecimal notation, 'F' = 15 and 'B' = 11.

You might also like to try a different pointer (I think the standard one
is ugly).  (I suppose an IMHO would be in order here).

DDDDDDDDDDDDD
DMLLLLLLLLLLD
 DMLLLLLLLLD
  DMLLLLLLD
   DMLLLLLLDD
    DMLLLMMLLDD
     DMLLDDMMLLD
      DMLD DDMMD
       DMD   DD
        DD

Where:

L is a light color (I use B A B), the first one in Preference's Set Pointer,
D is a dark color (I use 0 0 0), the second one in Set Pointer, and
M is a medium color (I use 9 7 9), the third one in Set Pointer.

The hot point is in the obvious position.

Richard Addison
"Fully customized, of course."