[comp.sys.amiga] Multi-tasking

bhenning@bhami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Bill Henning) (12/26/87)

   With  regards  to  the  multi-tasking vs.  accessories discussion - I have
refrained  from  posting  on  this  topic so far, but I can no longer resist.
While  Dave Meile's comments in <3280@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> are a response to an
article  <7413@sunybcs.UUCP> by Joseph M.  Piazza, some of his comments apply
to other people/sites, ad I wish to address some of them.

> your school sell Macintoshes and IBM computers to students and faculty?
> Does it sell Amigas?  Why not, if a multi-tasking microcomputer is such
> hot stuff?

   Many  schools  (the one I am attending included) sell IBM's, Mac's, and do
not  sell  Amiga's  (at  this  time).   Generally,  this  is due to the large
discounts  offered by IBM and Apple.  At other times, the people in charge of
the  microcomputer  centers happen to be long-time IBM-PC and Mac user's, and
have  the  typical attitudes fostered by owner's of those machines.  At other
times,  even  if there are people on the staff of the microcomputer store who
like,  nay, even own Amiga's, they cannot convince management to carry it "we
already  carry  Mac's and PC's - who would want anything else?  Besides, they
do  not have enough software, etc.".  Please note that practically all of the
computer  science  departaments computers are multi-tasking...  Sun's, VAXen,
etc., and the mainframes are also multi-tasking.  If you can manage to hold a
Mac  or  PC person through a GOOD and thorough demo of an Amiga, they usually
come  away  amazed  at  what  this little box can do - and seriously consider
buying one.

> Does your Amiga run HyperCard, Joseph?  Will your 68020 processor (I assume
> all Amiga owners own the "latest" processor for their machines) run Lotus
> 1-2-3?  Is the Amiga being bought in Fortune 50 companies?  What does this
> say about upper-management's desire to provide multi-tasking in the office
> environment?

   While  Joseph's  Amiga  may not run HyperCard, until very recently neither
did  the  Mac!  Something like HyperCard is likely to come out for the Amiga,
if  Dave  Small  (sp?)  does  not  beat  everyone  to  the punch with his Mac
emulator!   If  an  Amiga  owner were so inclined, there are several programs
that  are  Lotus 1-2-3 compatible to the n'th degree.  I am certain that some
Amiga's  are  being  bought  by  Fortune  50  companies  -  or at least their
employee's, and if the employee's buy them, and start loudly wondering around
the  office why the Mac's, PC's etc.  cannot do what their Amiga at home does
far better at a fraction of the price?  I do not currently have a 68020 in my
machine  -  but  I  probably  have one in the future, as I hate waiting for a
computer to finish doing what its busy at - that reminds me - some time ago I
was  working  on  a  Mac,  with  a  LazerWriter (nice printer) and whenever a
document  was  printing I had plenty of time to go to the caffeteria...  - on
my Amiga I NEVER have to wait for a printout to finish, nor a compile, nor my
news  feed  -  I  just  push  the  window (or screen) to the back and keep on
working.   Incidentally - what does upper-management's desire have to do with
anything?   They  (generally)  do not know what multi-tasking is!  If they do
not know what something is, how can they "desire" to provide it?

> Some people.  Send replies via email.  I may even read 'em.

   I  am sending this via the net, as I am not flaming anyone or anything - I
am just answering a "load of embarassing questions" in such a manner that you
may read them.

   The  above  was  not  meant  as  kindling to a new flame war, and before I
forget MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR to net.folks...

                                                                  ...Bill

|      //    UUCP: {ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!bhami!bhenning  |
|     //   BITNET: USERCCPM@SFU.BITNET                                     |
| \\ //      ARPA: William_Henning%sfu@um.cc.umich.edu                     |
|  \X/  Please note I prefer UUCP mail as I only check my SFU mail weekly. |
| I  was  just  notified  by van-bc that non-local mail previously sent to |
| bhenning@bhami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP  probably  did  not get through.         |
|           However, bhenning@bhami.van-bc.UUCP should work...             |

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (01/02/88)

In article <1646@van-bc.UUCP>, bhenning@bhami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Bill Henning) writes:
> While  Dave Meile's comments in <3280@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> are a response to an
> article  <7413@sunybcs.UUCP> by Joseph M.  Piazza, some of his comments apply
> to other people/sites, ad I wish to address some of them.
>
> [ A bunch of things said ]
>
> > Does your Amiga run HyperCard, Joseph?  Will your 68020 processor (I assume
> > all Amiga owners own the "latest" processor for their machines) run Lotus
> > 1-2-3?  Is the Amiga being bought in Fortune 50 companies?  What does this
> > say about upper-management's desire to provide multi-tasking in the office
> > environment?

Waitasec.  You've obviously never worked in the real world of business
and/or finance.  If you are to use the decisions made by primarily
old, sexist, alpha males (that went to college when only beady-eyed
geeks could spell computer) as a valid opinion on mulititasking, then
you really have no business discussing this subject.

Your statement was equivalent to "How many Americans actually use
solar heat?  How can you say solar heat is worth anything if
no one even uses it?"

The opinions of a bunch of rich, pompous old men that couldn't tell a PC
from a dumb terminal (I've seen that happen. really.) should have nothing
to do with a discussion on the merits of single vs. multi-tasking.

Then again, this whole discussion reminds me of the response I got
from people in 82 when I told them I sold Commodore 64's...
"My computer's better'n yours cuz..."  Most of those discussions
had roots in "I made a bad decision, so let me flame on your computer's
weaknesses to make my decision look a little better."

wheh.  flame off.
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Motorola skates on Intel's head!  (This is not a '|'.)| I skate. You don't.

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (08/03/89)

Somebody in the ST group stated that multitasking is useless on a home.
without trying to start a war I posted that for most Amiga users, Technical
as well as non-technical (me) I believe multitasking on a home computer has
become second nature.  For me, it makes sense to be able to run Dpaint III and
say "oops, I forgot to listen to that new Sonix score!" boot up and run Sonix,
and say, "oops, I forgot I need to label my disks!", boot up the label program
and .....:-)!!

Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

-Evan
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

chrisd@oregon.uoregon.edu (08/03/89)

In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
> Somebody in the ST group stated that multitasking is useless on a home.
> without trying to start a war I posted that for most Amiga users, Technical
> as well as non-technical (me) I believe multitasking on a home computer has
> become second nature.  For me, it makes sense to be able to run Dpaint III and
> say "oops, I forgot to listen to that new Sonix score!" boot up and run Sonix,
> and say, "oops, I forgot I need to label my disks!", boot up the label program
> and .....:-)!!
>
> Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?
>
> -Evan
> |    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
> |    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
> |    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
> |              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
> |_____________________________________________________________________________|

Yes.  Most positively, absolutely.  Can't imagine computing without it.

:)

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (08/03/89)

	Multitasking is definitely a way of life. It never seems like much
when it's there, but I go nuts using the Macs and IBMs at work, because I use   it so much for mundane operations.

	You never miss the air until it's gone.

Russell

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/03/89)

In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
> Somebody in the ST group stated that multitasking is useless on a home.
> without trying to start a war I posted that for most Amiga users, Technical
> as well as non-technical (me) I believe multitasking on a home computer has
> become second nature.  For me, it makes sense to be able to run Dpaint III and
> say "oops, I forgot to listen to that new Sonix score!" boot up and run Sonix,
> and say, "oops, I forgot I need to label my disks!", boot up the label program
> and .....:-)!!
>
> Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?
>
> -Evan

I have had an Amiga for about 2 years. I have recently had to use Macintoshes
at work. It is, to be brief, painful. Even more irritating than the lack of
multitasking is the fact that it takes ages to switch between
(non-multitasking) windows. It's hard to explain what is so nice about it.
Maybe being able to format a disk while I wait for something to download. Maybe
being able to copy disks while I do whatever else I want. Maybe it is being
able to write a review of a piece of software on the Amiga while actually
looking at and using the piece of software. It's not something that you
couldn't do with four or five machines. But it sure is convenient.
--
James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,

jyegiguere@lion.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) (08/04/89)

In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

Most definitely.  Even when I'm doing something as simple as writing I find
multitasking useful.  TeX runs wonderfully in the Amiga environment --- one
CLI for TeX, one for the Previewer, one for your favorite text editor, one
for general CLI stuff.  Just yesterday I wanted to download some stuff using
VT100.  I logged on and was about to start the transfer when I remembered
that I had to format a new disk first... no problem, just opened a new CLI
with PopCLI and did it without disconnecting.  Even those who only use the
Workbench are often multitasking, whether they know it or not.

Hey, multitasking is amazing.  So is the Amiga.

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/04/89)

I find multitasking a bother.  I never know what's really going on
inside my Amiga.  If you ask me give me a good old 4.77mhz PC and get
innovations away from me.

(Hopefully, the sarcasm is understood.  If it won't multitask I don't
use the computer.)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

mreisch@hydra.unm.edu (Mique Reisch) (08/04/89)

	When on a Unix system I always leave an Emacs living in
background and then just pop up the editor when I need it.  On my
amiga I do the same sort of thing.  I leave emacs Iconified  (thank
God for WICON) and pop it up when needed.

	I ALWAYS leave a shell Iconified when using a comm program so
if some emergency clearing of a DL disk or such is needed...

	Multi-tasking is the schtuff of life.  God I shudder to think
of having to use a mech with a one track mind...

[ Hello				Mique Reisch				]
[  my friend 			 mreisch@hydra.unm.edu			]
[   are you visible today?	  MREISCH@BOOTES			]

ffishman@lion.waterloo.edu (Flynn D. Fishman) (08/04/89)

In article <15629@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jyegiguere@lion.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) writes:
>In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>>Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

Most of the postings I have seen talk about how the "Amiga User" uses
Multi-tasking to perform multiple tasks at the same time, but fail to mention
how programmers and programs can take full advantage of multi-tasking behind
the scenes.  And that is where I feel that the power of multi-tasking lies.

The word processor is a prime example of how multi-tasking can be used to
increase its power.  It is so easy to make a word processors print in the
background with multi-tasking (so why don't most Amiga word processors do
this)  But wouldn't it also be nice if you can submit a document for
batch spell checking, that way you do not have to wait for it to agonize
over every word but can come back later after it has found all spelling errors.
this feature would be expecially nice on a large document with few errors
(I have never had any document with a few errors so I would not need this
feature :-).  And this feature is so easy to have run in the background
while you work on a different document.

Multi-tasking can also be used to speed up jobs with a lot of I/O and little
computation, such as a disk copy program.  Why aren't there any copy programs
that read the next couple of sectors while it writes what is already read.
know what would be neat.  A copy program with a window for each disk drive
you can start reading into common memory from any drive and than click
in another window to start writing that memory to the other disk drives.
(On the Amiga a single process may be the best way to copy disks if anyone
 is interested in why please e-mail me)

There are all kinds of nifty things one can do with Multi-Tasking behind
the scenes, just look at how well the Amiga's O/S and user interface work.
----
Flynn D. Fishman
The man (boy?) with no future and soon no account.

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (08/04/89)

In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
->Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

With what other PC can you run X-Windows on one screen, be downloading
from Usenet using VT100, and have Emacs, TeX, and the previewer all
running at the same time?  Does that answer the question?
--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

In article <15629@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jyegiguere@lion.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) writes:
>In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>>Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

Most definately!

Unfourtunatly I am forced to work on messydos clones at work, what a pain!

I brought my A1000 into work to show off some neat stuff
(mostly DNET to start of with). A couple of people
have expressed amazement that a 512k computer can run
all of those different windows, + a dos window and
an editor besides!

I have been trying to convince people around here of the
merits of a multitasking pc-type machine. Most
are deaf and blind, even when they work with
UNIX all the time, it sure is hard to convice
people that their life would be easier with an Amiga
than with the latest PC clone.

REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) (08/05/89)

In article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

What? You mean there are computers that don't multi-task? :-)
And I thought unix's foreground/background, let's stop the program when it
wants input (and maybe to output) was hard to use.

I think you get the idea.

=======================================
=          Simon Rademacher           =
= rademach%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu =

ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000003410;0;250;143;) (08/05/89)

Do we really need to post so many messages on this?

Multitasking is great! That's a self-evident truth that needs
no further discussion. Anyone who doesn't see it that way is
either stupid or incompetent.

People actually post that they don't think multitasking is
necessary. I figure they're being sarcastic, but I've
underestimated people's stupidity before.

People who don't multitask probably can't walk and chew gum at
the same time. People who preach against multitasking would
probably rather be driving a volkswagen rabbit instead of
a Ferrari.

If you don't like multitasking, go get youself an IBM clone.

bradch@microsoft.UUCP (Bradford Christian ms1) (08/05/89)

Who needs this multi-tasking bother anyway!  Here at work, I just use
two Compaq 386/20's and an AT.  Oh yea, there's the handy hex calculator
too.  Oops, and here's a terminal I use to connect to Xenix and one of
my Compaqs.  It's not too much of a bother to reconnect it to differnet
Xenix servers.  And there's my desk clock.  Most people here add a mac
or two to the above setup.  No, we don't need multi-tasking...  ;^)

Of course, at home I can't afford $30K worth of equipment, so I have to
get by with this whimpy little Amiga.  You know, the "toy" computer.
Of course, I have a clock and calculator just a mouse click away.  And
I always forget about that terminal program running host mode in the
background.  And then there's the fact that I always have Intuition
running and a couple of Shells, and my editor, and the developement
system in RAM, etc.  Multi-tasking just gets in the way.

The other day I was debugging a Windows program.  It hung, so I rebooted,
started the debugger, loaded the program and found out where it hung and
had to reboot again to "clean the system."

The other day I was debugging an Amiga program.  It hung, so I popped-up
another CLI, ran the debugger, selected my program, found out what I had
a bogus value, changed said value, continued my program, and quit the
debugger.

Naw, I never use multi-tasking.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/05/89)

With all this talk about how lame multitasking is, and with all this
"PD Vaperware" floating around; I've decided to join the majority :-)

(Check out the way-cool signature d00dz! :-) :-)

Have a good weekend, everyone!
-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

 Author of ERP -- The Exec Replacement Project: "We'll get rid of that
  bothersome multitasking once and for all!"  (Project will start as
     soon as I have some free time... really it will! :-) :-) ;-)

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (08/08/89)

I was at a friends house the other day looking at her Mac II (a decent
machine).  I needed to format a disk so I fired it up and move the
mouse over to check out some programs.  She looked at me and asked me
what I was doing.  "You mean you can't run another program while doing
a simple format???".

"Living" on Unix all day (in X11) then going home to my Amiga I kinda
forget about things like single tasking computers...

+-------------------------------------+------------------------------------+
| -Al Harrington                  /// |                                    |
|                                ///  |    "Do I look like I'm joking?"    |
| alh@hprmo.HP.COM           \\\///   |                                    |
| ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh \XX/    |               - The Joker          |
+-------------------------------------+------------------------------------+
|         My comments in no way reflect the views or opinions of HP        |

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (08/09/89)

How's this....   Just a few minutes ago I was

1. Restoring my AT bridgeboard's bootable virtual drive that resides on my
   Amiga's hard drive...

2. WARPing a disk for eventual uploading and....

3. reading the Net (I had a program called X-RAY running that let me
   look through Handshake's window so I could keep an eye on the
   lower left portion of the PC window.  This is a great little program
   that was available on a Compute's Amiga Resources disk.  You can place
   this window on any screen, resize it and flip through any other windows
   to give you a scrollable view of what's going on.)

all at THE SAME TIME.

I can't live without it (well, maybe I can, but not for long)
--
 - Joel E. Swan
[  swan@jolnet.UUCP                   <>  PLINK ID: Amiga*joel         ]

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/09/89)

in article <30339@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) says:

> Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

I think multitasking is natural for most human beings.  With few exceptions,
most of us can walk and chew gum at the same time.  Maybe even spin a yo-yo
as well, possibly even while listening to a walkman.

Most of the non-computer literate folks I've shown my Amiga would have to be
explicitly told why it can't run several programs at once.  I once showed my
oldest sister how to fire up one of the original Demos from the 1.1 disk.  The
first thing she did when I handed her the mouse was to fire up several Boxer
and Dotty windows.  Folks who use single tasking machines and can't think of a
use for multitasking are folks who've adjusted their way of thinking to what
they expect a computer can do.  That's a very dangerous habit.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

suther@novavax.UUCP (Scot M. Sutherland) (08/10/89)

>Somebody in the ST group stated that multitasking is useless on a home.

It has been mentioned to me that we teachers would never
multi-task. ( I teach Jr. High) :^)

>without trying to start a war I posted that for most Amiga users, Technical
>as well as non-technical (me) I believe multitasking on a home computer has
>become second nature.  For me, it makes sense to be able to run Dpaint III and
>say "oops, I forgot to listen to that new Sonix score!" boot up and run Sonix,
>and say, "oops, I forgot I need to label my disks!", boot up the label program
>and .....:-)!!

I think that war is raging already.  Multitasking for me has
become indispensible.  In fact I have taken it so much for
granted that I sometimes guru my 3 meg A2500 because I get
distracted an forget how many tasks I have running.

I have not seen this discussed before so I throw it out.
Software developers could, and maybe should, take a different
attitude in developing for the Amiga than for other machines.
Amiga desktop publishing programs don't need a separate text
editor when the wise user will use his favorite instead.  I
thought that Micro Illusions might have stumbled upon the idea
that programs can be made in modules for the Amiga, and the
modules sold separately in their Photon series.  However, I still
haven't figured out how to punch Photon Paint into the background
so that I can use what I just created with Photon Cell Animator.

It makes sense to sell Amiga programs in a series of modules that
can be multitasked instead of selling all-in-one packages as is
necessary for other computers.

>Is multi-tasking second nature for most Amiga users?

It certainly is for me.  And I think that it would be for most
users if they become aware that it can be done.  Many people that
use other computers don't really understand what I mean when I
say multi-tasking.

>-Evan

Scot--

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/10/89)

	Can't live without it.

	Yesterday, I was using Kermit to transfer a file from a Macintosh
to our VAX.  When the transfer finished, I wanted to compare the file
sizes of the Mac and VAX versions.  I couldn't do it without exiting
Kermit, finding the Mac file's icon, and doing an INFO!!  I was dying
to push the Kermit window "to the back" and do a "dir".
	An expert Mac user next to me said, "Well, you could do it if you
had programs X, Y, and Z installed as desk-accessories."  Sigh.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator      barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  ARPANET: barrett@cs.jhu.edu                            |
|                    BITNET:  ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                        |
|                    UUCP:    ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP                     noog |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/11/89)

In article <1426@novavax.UUCP> suther@novavax.UUCP (Scot M. Sutherland) writes:
>I thought that Micro Illusions might have stumbled upon the idea
>that programs can be made in modules for the Amiga, and the
>modules sold separately in their Photon series.  However, I still
>haven't figured out how to punch Photon Paint into the background
>so that I can use what I just created with Photon Cell Animator.

	Well, they really have gotten a lot of things right with their
new package, MUSIC-X.  It has some really beautiful multitasking.  You can
do all the usual mundane things like change the titles of sequences,
save sequences to disk, change various settings, etc, all while the
music is playing, without interrupting the timing of the music.  There is
also an "official" method for making separate module programs and using them
from MUSIC-X.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/15/89)

In article <1284@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:

> 3. reading the Net (I had a program called X-RAY running that let me
>    look through Handshake's window so I could keep an eye on the
>    lower left portion of the PC window.  This is a great little program
>    that was available on a Compute's Amiga Resources disk.  You can place
>    this window on any screen, resize it and flip through any other windows
>    to give you a scrollable view of what's going on.)

Now THAT's what I'd like to see in 1.4.  If multitasking and multiple
screens blow away most users, a utility like that would really be a
killer.  Is it PD or how does Compute! manage their copyrights?  Can
it be posted?

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University
     Yow!  Only 24 hours until I leave for vacation!  Excusing me
		      for being so enthusiastic!

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (08/16/89)

+-- jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
| I have had an Amiga for about 2 years. I have recently had to use Macintoshes
| at work. It is, to be brief, painful. Even more irritating than the lack of
| multitasking is the fact that it takes ages to switch between
| (non-multitasking) windows. It's hard to explain what is so nice about it.

Hell -- my Sun 3/50 at work multitasks like a sonofagun, but it takes *AGES* to
switch windows compared to my Amiga.  On the Amiga, as soon as I've clicked,
I've switched (possibily even gone to another screen -- but that's another
discussion).  On the Sun, I switch -- wait, wait, wait -- Ah, the border's
dark, I can type now.  Probably an Amiga with Virtual Memory would be the
same.  Ah well.
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC		(ferguson@metaphor.com)

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (08/17/89)

From article <Aug.14.22.46.24.1989.29839@pilot.njin.net>, by limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli):
> In article <1284@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:
>> 3. reading the Net (I had a program called X-RAY running that let me
>>    look through Handshake's window so I could keep an eye on the
>>    lower left portion of the PC window.  This is a great little program
>>    that was available on a Compute's Amiga Resources disk.  You can place
>>    this window on any screen, resize it and flip through any other windows
>>    to give you a scrollable view of what's going on.)
>
> Now THAT's what I'd like to see in 1.4.  If multitasking and multiple
> screens blow away most users, a utility like that would really be a
> killer.  Is it PD or how does Compute! manage their copyrights?  Can
> it be posted?

Compute probably forbids redistribution, but there was a PD/shareware
program that does the same thing that I saw about a year ago. I've
forgotten what it was called, but I think I got it from People Link.

Compute's version sounds more advanced if it can flip the x-ray view
through different screens, and scroll the view into the other screen. As
I remember, the one I had only showed the screen immediatly behind the
WB screen, and you could size & move the x-ray window, but not scroll
its contents.

This isn't much to go on, but there is something out there that's
redistributable.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/18/89)

> Hell -- my Sun 3/50 at work multitasks like a sonofagun, but it
> takes *AGES* to switch windows compared to my Amiga.  On the Amiga,
> as soon as I've clicked, I've switched (possibily even gone to
> another screen -- but that's another discussion).  On the Sun, I
> switch -- wait, wait, wait -- Ah, the border's dark, I can type now.
> Probably an Amiga with Virtual Memory would be the same.  Ah well.
> --
> 		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)

It would be the same, but not in the way you are thinking.
		Sun (DPVM)	Amiga (no DPVM)		Amiga (with DPVM)*
All software
fits into	  FAST		  FAST			  FAST
physical RAM

Doesn't fit into
physical RAM	  SLOW		Does not run at all!	  SLOW
Note *
  The Amiga does not have DPVM (Demand Paged Virtual Memory) so this
  last case is hypothetical.

  Please carefully study this chart before deciding whether DPVM makes
  sense in a small computer.  Which would you rather have, "SLOW" or
  "Does not run at all"?
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (08/20/89)

In article <1442@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>Compute probably forbids redistribution, but there was a PD/shareware
>program that does the same thing that I saw about a year ago. I've
>forgotten what it was called, but I think I got it from People Link.

Unless they've changed their policy, Compute's family of magazines
forbids public redistribution of anything they publish, whether a
"type it in" program in the magazine or a binary on one of their
disks. I remember way back when running the Commodore 8-bit club on
Plink when folks would type in Basic programs from Compute or
Compute's Gazette and upload them and we had to reject them because
of Compute's policy.  Other current magazines aren't as
restrictive. For instance anything on the AmigoTimes disks or from
JumpDisk can be redistributed.  In some cases (such as AMnews)
programs are sold to them with a restricted distribution period
specified (in some cases a month or two) after which the program is
fair game for uploading/passing around. A good policy is "when in
doubt, contact the particular magazine and ask."

The little program similar to Compute's "X-Ray" that you're
thinking of is probably "HOLE."  We still have it on Plink in our
data library and no doubt it's on some Fish Disk but not having
Fred's catalog handy I couldn't tell you which one.

--
| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| Plink: CBM*HARV             |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (08/21/89)

From article <1736@sactoh0.UUCP>, by hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser):
> In article <1442@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>>Compute probably forbids redistribution, but there was a PD/shareware
>>program that does the same thing that I saw about a year ago. I've
>>forgotten what it was called, but I think I got it from People Link.

> The little program similar to Compute's "X-Ray" that you're
> thinking of is probably "HOLE."  We still have it on Plink in our
> data library and no doubt it's on some Fish Disk but not having
> Fred's catalog handy I couldn't tell you which one.

I just took a look through the Fish database, and "Hole" isn't on any of
the Fish Disks.

Perhaps someone could send it to Bob Page for the moderated groups?