[comp.sys.amiga] Kids: Review of ABZoo

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (08/20/89)

I have two preschoolers (ages 2 and 3) that appear to be
getting quite a bit of entertainment and learning out of
ABZoo. This program has 3 levels. My boys are currently
at the beginners level which requires that they depress
a letter key when they are presented with a display of
the querty keyboard. Suppose the 3 year old picks "A"
then the amiga says "A" and puts up
a picture of an alligator appears and the amiga says
"alligator".
The 3 year old knows the key board and the 2 year old that
is at the stage of learning new words loves to say the letter
names and the animal names. The 3 year old claps when the 2 year
old says the words correctly and they talk to each other about
whether the animal is in water or such.

They will often ask to play "ZOOOOO". We have had this program
now for close to a year and it has continued to interest them
through several developmental stages.
 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea
 INTERNET: jea@snipe.cvs.rochester.edu

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (08/22/89)

In article <2809@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>the querty keyboard. Suppose the 3 year old picks "A"
>then the amiga says "A" and puts up
>a picture of an alligator appears and the amiga says
>"alligator".

Aren't you afariad that your kids will grow up to have monotone computer-like
voices just like the Amiga? :)

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
   Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.