[comp.sys.amiga] OTHER DIGITIZERS

darren.enns@canremote.uucp (DARREN ENNS) (08/05/89)

I am pleased to have read some 'straight-from-the-heart' impressions
of some of the Amiga digitizers, namely LIVE! and the Progress
Peripherals digitizer.  But has anyone something to say about the Frame
Grabber by Mimetics, which supposedly sells for $199.95 and captures
full color NTSC video in 1/15 seconds?  I would appreciate any opinions!

 * QNet 1.03a2: Pokey's Place Winnipeg, MB (204) 253-1342 (HST) <<SmartNet>>

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (08/12/89)

>Peripherals digitizer.  But has anyone something to say about the Frame
>Grabber by Mimetics, which supposedly sells for $199.95 and captures
>full color NTSC video in 1/15 seconds?  I would appreciate any opinions!

Yes , I do .

When I was evaluating These Things I look at that one , but 1/15 is TOO SLOW
to do real work with , it is almost impossible to get good - STABLE pictures
without roll at 1/15.

I finally spen the extra $$$'s on the Progressive Peripherials Frame Grabber
- about $500 but I have >NEVER REGRETTED IT<.

*   " Salad isn't food, salad is what food eats. " The Zen Monk ALF        *
*           "My thoughts claim no responsibility for my body"              *
*                                                                          *
* UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!clout!ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1 *
*                                                                          *
*        Sysop, the Penthouse ]I[ BBS                                      *
*                     (201)759-8450  (201)759-8568                         *

crum@lipari.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (08/14/89)

In article <[24e37d98:993.1]un.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
   I finally spen the extra $$$'s on the Progressive Peripherials Frame Grabber
   - about $500 but I have >NEVER REGRETTED IT<.

Does the Progressive Peripherals Frame Grabber grab full frames
(around 525 lines) or half a frame (262/263 lines)?  Many full-screen
digital still functions of VTRs (like my old "digital" VHS RCA VMT400)
show half the lines of a frame.

Could someone please comment on a "good" place to buy the PP Frame Grabber
(probably in a private reply)?

Thanks,
Gary

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) (08/18/89)

>Does the Progressive Peripherals Frame Grabber grab full frames
>(around 525 lines) or half a frame (262/263 lines)?  Many full-screen
>digital still functions of VTRs (like my old "digital" VHS RCA VMT400)

Full frames -- in 24 bits/pixel.

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (08/22/89)

In article <[24eb6fae:993.3]un.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (K.J.Jamieson) writes:
   >>Does the Progressive Peripherals Frame Grabber grab full frames
   >>(around 525 lines) or half a frame (262/263 lines)?  Many full-screen
   >>digital still functions of VTRs (like my old "digital" VHS RCA VMT400)
   >
   >Full frames -- in 24 bits/pixel.

To quote the manual, page 4:

	"The image is captured in one field (1/60 second) for 320x200 and
	640x200 modes and in one frame (1/30 second) for 320x400 and 640x400
	modes.

as for the part about 24 bits/pixel:

What drugs are you on or what salescritter have you been listening to? :-)

Seriously now, the FG doesn't capture 24 bits/pixel.  The manual explicitly
states that the FG uses 12 bits/pixel (4-bits/color)!  Only things I've seen
that capture 24-bits/pixel of video are the Targa/Vista boards.  I'm sure there
are other but certainly nothing for video capture on the Amiga can do 24 bpp.
There is the ASDG ProScan but that's for scanning hardcopy 300-dpi at 24-bpp.
Only a small portion of that will fit into your Amiga, harddisk or no.

    I'm sure the folks reading this newsgroup would have appreciated more
accurate information.   In the future, please check your sources before
posting.  OK?  Thanks.

			-Rusty-

P.S.  For those of us paying for a news feed we'd appreciate a trimmer
.sigature too.  A ten-line sign off is a bit too much, especially when
about half of it is space characters.
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"