[comp.sys.amiga] dBase compatibility

SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu (08/22/89)

I have the sudden need to get a dBase compatible database
program.  Now without wanting to start any flame wars on IBM vs
Amiga, are there any reliable Amiga programs that are compatible
with the DBF files?  I would of course prefer the price of
shareware (Yes, I pay the authors) but if necessary I will buy
commercial.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Steve Brady

STEVE BRADY 			42AD/LGX
Autovon: 362-4338		Grand Forks AFB ND 58205-5000
Comm: 701-747-4338

Don't expect to see pearls of Wisdom, I am just a CLAM.

"If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and is in black and white chances
are, it's a MACINTOSH!"

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (08/23/89)

In article <22142@louie.udel.EDU> SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu writes:
>I have the sudden need to get a dBase compatible database
>program.  Now without wanting to start any flame wars on IBM vs
>Amiga, are there any reliable Amiga programs that are compatible
>with the DBF files?

Lattice Inc used to offer what they called the DBIII Library for
Lattice C on the Amiga.  I bought one at a closeout special at one
of the AmiExpo shows at which Lattice displayed.  Maybe they still
have some leftover, cheap (cause it was).  Nice part was that the
manual said "no royalties when used, as long as you embed it into
your program in such a way that it cannot be redistributed separately."
With a limited (at this time) familiarity with dBaseIII, I can't
judge just what is in the package, but it appeared that all of the
file interface (and search too, I think) functions were there.
Missing, of course, was the user interface.   But who needs a dot :-)
on the command line anyway.

Lattice:  (312) 916-1600.

No connection to them.  Just a fairly good memory for shelved software
eventually to be used.

Rob Peck