[comp.sys.amiga] Help with

I have been having great troubles using the (x,y,z)modem type file transfers.
I retrieved the sources for zmodem, which has the sx,sz programs.  I compiled
these on a Sun4 (running BSD OS4.0) and I have tried using Online! to download
with x and z protocols. And have tried using Handshake with the x and y
protocols.  To begin the transfer I do 'sx foo.zoo' and using Handshake I
do a Binary receive specifying where to put the file.  The packets appear
to be arriving but none of them are ack'ed as having arrived correctly.
Can anyone offer any help for me?   (kermit is sooooo slow)
I have a Amiga2000HD and a SupraModem2400.
Is there someone with a similar setup that is doing this with no problem?

Thanks, Brett

Brett Harper
harperb@frith.egr.msu.edu
...!uunet!frith!harperb

laba-2kc@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Kim Sang Yup/Na Choon Piaw) (08/18/89)

In article <4208@cps3xx.UUCP> harperb@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>I have been having great troubles using the (x,y,z)modem type file transfers.
>I have a Amiga2000HD and a SupraModem2400.
>Is there someone with a similar setup that is doing this with no problem?

I too, am running on the same configuration, but I haven't had any trouble
with the downloading part...  As far as uploading is concerned, handshake
seems to have some trouble with xmodem/ymodem.  It appears to transfer right
until the *very* last block, at which point NACKs and other stuff starts
happening like crazy.  Oh yes, my host is a SUN 3/50, though I don't know
which code was used  (BSD 4.3 over here, of course).

Kermit works fine, however, and I use it to upload, and xmodem or ymodem to
download.  I have a feeling that the problem is to do with Handshake's
appending an extra 128 bytes onto the end of the file, but I'm not sure.
I've written to the author of the program about this, (together with a check
for Handshake -- thanks, Eric!) but I just mailed it yesterday, so unless
he's monitoring this it'll take some time....

Na Choon Piaw			laba-2kc@web.berkeley.edu

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (08/21/89)

From article <4208@cps3xx.UUCP>, by usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner):
> I have been having great troubles using the (x,y,z)modem type file transfers.
> I retrieved the sources for zmodem, which has the sx,sz programs.  I compiled
> these on a Sun4 (running BSD OS4.0) and I have tried using Online! to download
> with x and z protocols. And have tried using Handshake with the x and y

I use AZcomm (available from most BBSes, and archives, including
kilowatt) for Zmodem transfers without any problem at all. Talking with
people on BBSes, Online has had a few bugs in their Zmodem that may or
may not have been fixed. Also, MSS has issued upgrades at times without
bumping the revision number, so it's difficult to tell what you've got.

AZcomm doesn't have any fancy features, but the Zmodem is bulletproof,
and works fine at 9600/19,200 BPS. A lot of programs choke at high
speeds.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (08/23/89)

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 11:09 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: Help with (xyz)modem transfers
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    AZcomm doesn't have any fancy features, but the Zmodem is bulletproof,
    and works fine at 9600/19,200 BPS. A lot of programs choke at high
    speeds.

I just got azcomm, and I agree that the zmodem is great!  Problem is
that most of my down/uploading I do to a VMS system, which doesn't have
Zmodem (yet...).  Could somebody out there send me a VMS zmodem program,
or maybe a listserv or address where I can get one?

monty kosma
kosma%alan.decnet.lockheed.com