[comp.sys.amiga] MISplaced HD files

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (08/21/89)

In article <201@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) writes:

> When I clicked once on
> a drawer icon and moved it one pixel it DISAPPEARED.  It jumped
> into another directory whose icon was two icons directly above it.
> I know it sounds strange, but it was repeatable although it had to
> be done just right.  He nearly killed me when it first disappeared,
> but everything was there...

If you really can reproduce it, Commodore may be interested.
They were looking for this bug months ago.
Hey guys, found it yet ?

 It has happened to several people, including me as recently as this
weekend.  As you found, the files are usually just hiding somewhere.
Has anyone permanently lost stuff ?
Besides the fellow who posted last week ?

--
-Frank Cunningham	smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

			Real Recording Engineers mix direct to stereo.

tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) (08/22/89)

	I had one of my directories jump around on me too one day, I thought that
the kids did something they weren't suppossed to be doing.  On the root of
dh0: I had a Dino directory for Designasaraus and my  WP directory for Word
Perfect.  My daughter came up and said that the dino drawer was gone so she
couldn't play, I went snooping and found it had moved into the WP directory.
I restored everything and kind of wondered what happened.
	A few days later I was cleaning up my directory on dh1: and I clicked on
a file icon and it vanished.  I looked around and found it up a level.  This
was too weird so I got out the old backup program and made sure everything was
securely on floppy disks in case another incident like this occured.
	Just in case it matters, I have an A500 with a GVP 30 Meg hard drive
attached, 1 Meg RAM only.  I am running WB 1.3 and FFS on the had drive.  I
don't know if it is a hardware specific thing or something in FFS, what types
of setups do others have that have seen this problem?

	Tim Harris

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (08/23/89)

In article <499@lexicon.com> fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) writes:
>In article <201@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) writes:
>> When I clicked once on
>> a drawer icon and moved it one pixel it DISAPPEARED.  It jumped
>> into another directory whose icon was two icons directly above it.
>If you really can reproduce it, Commodore may be interested.
> It has happened to several people, including me as recently as this
>weekend.  As you found, the files are usually just hiding somewhere.

I have done this (nondestructively :-) a couple of times, and the
situation is always similar. As reconstructed by my brain afterwards, it
goes like this: Open a window on the workbench that has lots of drawer
icons in it. Now move lots of the drawer icons around, but DON'T
snapshot them. (Best is to use shift-left-click to move half a dozen of
them around in the window.) Now blithely move another drawer icon (one
you haven't yet moved) to somewhere recently occupied by one of the
icons you moved first. Most times, the drives will get busy, and the
drawer you just moved will disappear, and eventually show up inside one
of the drawers you first moved.

So it's like the workbench thinks the drawers are where they were last
snapshot, not where they are on the window.

>Has anyone permanently lost stuff ?

I've never lost anything permanently like this myself.

Hope this helps someone,

Mark.
##  Mark S. Madsen  ####  marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk  ###################
####  Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK.  ##