[comp.sys.amiga] C-A Advertising? Harrrd to believe!

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (08/20/89)

[]
I just picked up a copy of the magazine VideoMaker, for home video
types, and at first I thought it was AmigaWierd with the wrong cover.
There were 10, count 'em 10 ads for Amiga stuff. Companies like
Syndesis, Go Amigo, Computability were in there, but the biggest
shock was a full page ad from Commode-Doore themselves!

There was also an article on using computers to make video music
scores, with many mentions of the Amy.

          *** mike (still looking for a publisher) smithwick ***

"Los Angeles : Where neon goes to die"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (08/21/89)

Mike Smithwick <mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov> writes in <30526@ames.arc.nasa.gov>

> I just picked up a copy of the magazine VideoMaker, for home video
> types, and at first I thought it was AmigaWierd with the wrong cover.
> There were 10, count 'em 10 ads for Amiga stuff. Companies like
> Syndesis, Go Amigo, Computability were in there, but the biggest
> shock was a full page ad from Commode-Doore themselves!

The best way that Commodore could project the Amiga as a popular video
accessory would be to not only publish ads in video magazines, but to also
have third party devellopers publish ads. That way the readers get to see
more ads and get the imression that the computer will well supported and
used by others. I would not be suprised if Commodore is sponsoring those

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may destroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (08/24/89)

In article <8908202139.AA18349@jade.berkeley.edu>, 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
> Mike Smithwick <mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov> writes in <30526@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
>
> > I just picked up a copy of the magazine VideoMaker, for home video
> > There were 10, count 'em 10 ads for Amiga stuff. Companies like
> > Syndesis, Go Amigo, Computability were in there, but the biggest
> > shock was a full page ad from Commode-Doore themselves!
                   I think that's Commode-D'or = gold plated commode

> The best way that Commodore could project the Amiga as a popular video
> accessory would be to not only publish ads in video magazines, but to also
> have third party devellopers publish ads. That way the readers get to see
> more ads and get the imression that the computer will well supported and
> used by others. I would not be suprised if Commodore is sponsoring those

Even better than ads to give the impression that the computer will
be well supported would be evidence of the actual support in the
form of working hardware, accessories, and programs being used in
highly visible places. In magazines this would be evidenced by
articles that describe the actual use of such equipment ... for
real projects in production environments. I.e. practical how to
and testimonial articles to go along with the advertisements.
I think that it is counterproductive if the articles in a magazine
all describe things being done on PIXARS, MACS, IBMs etc. and
the magazine has heavy C= advertisements. It then has a hollow quality.
So I suggest that C= extend help to successfull Amiga users to get
their uses written up. This could consist of advising freelance
writers of interesting article opportunities. helping them sell
Amiga articles. Supplementing the payment by magazines for Amiga
articles (an inducement to write and sell Amiga articles, NOT
articles written for hire!). Offering the same incentives as well
as editorial assistance to users who might want to write up their
own projects. In the case of academic publications that charge
rather than pay for articles, be willing to cover the publicatoion
costs.

             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@uncvm1.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-9107

protcoop@bmers58.UUCP (op Student) (08/24/89)

I agree that it would be very, very advantageous for C= to advertise not
only their product but how people are putting it to use.  One of the
things I enjoy most about AmigaWorld magazine (and beleive me, there are
very FEW things I enjoy about it ) is the articles they have now and
then on how people are using their Amigas to do new and wonderful
things.  I recall just recently seeing an article on a university that
uses Amigas and Suns for doing graphics.  This is the type of things C=
should be advertising.  You can preach to someone until you are blue in
the face about the features of the Amiga, but this doesn't do a damn bit
of good if the person can't picture how to put those features to use.  I
can just imagine myself rambling on to my father about all the wonderful
features of the Amiga ... and it goes right over his head.
Multitasking? what the heck is that?  But if I say ... well ... THIS is
what you can do with that feature ... and this is what Joe Blow down the
street does with it ... then it becomes much easier to understand and
he can better see what he would do with it.
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |