[comp.sys.amiga] Have you had this happen to you?

manes@topsy.UUCP (Mark D. Manes) (08/24/89)

I have a GVP 40 Meg Quantum hardcard.  (No this is not yet another posting
saying how wonderful it is or isnt.)  I had a strange event take place
that has happened twice.

When I power up my Amiga (b2000, rev 4.4, 1 meg, old agnus) sometimes
the drive does not spin up and my system wants ME to insert a workbench
disk.  If I power the system down, and power it up again it seems to
work.

Should I consider opening the case and re-seat the board?  Should I
go ahead and call the great folks at GVP?

Your comments are invited....

-mark=
xanth!topsy!manes

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (08/24/89)

>From: manes@topsy.UUCP (Mark D. Manes) Message-ID: <126@topsy.UUCP>

>I have a GVP 40 Meg Quantum hardcard.  (No this is not yet another posting

>When I power up my Amiga (b2000, rev 4.4, 1 meg, old agnus) sometimes
>the drive does not spin up and my system wants ME to insert a workbench
>disk.  If I power the system down, and power it up again it seems to
>work.

>Should I consider opening the case and re-seat the board?  Should I
>go ahead and call the great folks at GVP?
>Your comments are invited....

I have the same and have had the same problem. My problem it turns out
was the +12VDC power supply. I eventually came to buying a Heavy Duty
Lambda (read STOUT) power supply and my problems have disappeared entirely.

As far as calling GVP. You could and they WOULD send you a brand new drive
if it is still under their gracious 1 yr warranty. I did, before I found
out that the problem was with the PS and not the card. They still sent me
a new drive, no questions asked and they sent it High Priority UPS !!

Conclusion: If you want a descent HD with GREAT customer support buy a GVP.

--
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*