people who had extra info.

From: uunet!cbmvax!amiga!boing!dale (Dale Luck)
>Questions:
>1.  Is there a usable (I think gamma release would be fine if the price
>is right :-) X-windows for the Amiga?  What sort of bugs still exist?

X11 based on release 2 has been shipping since May 2. The version based
on release 3 is now in final gamma testing.

>2.  If so, what're the minimum system requirements?
Absolute minimum requirements=
	1m ram, ethernet,   files are kept on nfs server.
	This lets the server run with 640x400 interlaced screen.

>3.  Just to make sure -- Will an Amiga talk over a 9600bps modem
>and do X with no wierd problems or slowdowns?

not yet.

>4.  If available, what are the specs on Amiga's X-windows? (display
>size in pixels, # of colors, any sort of benchmark information)

I'll send you a bunch of stuff vial usmail.

From: James Treworgy <uunet!EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU!JTREWORGY>

have a copy (not amigatized at all, it's a direct port from the VAX/VMS fortran
code), it is fast & works well.

From: Perley Donald P <uunet!vdsvax.crd.ge.com!perley%vdsvax>

Yes, a couple of ports have been done of the PD matlab.  If you are thinking
of "Pro-Matlab" from mathworks, then I doubt it.  Pro-Matlab is basically
an enhanced version of matlab with graphics, apparently based on the
PD version which was written with government funds.

>6.  How well do the various GNU products work on the Amiga?  We're
>	interested in g++ (or a good c++ language) in particular.

a lot of the gnu utilities have been ported (gnused, bawk, lex & yak
replacements)  I have heard rumers of g++ running on amiga, but haven't
seen it.  Lattice sells a c++ frontend/compiler.

>7.  Networking.  What's available and *good*?

Point to point serial: DNET and UUCP.  DNET multiplexes serial data streams
and comes with servers for terminal sessions, file transfer, etc.

If you have ethernet, get the Ameristar ethernet board with NFS.

[Now, back to Dale's answers]

ethernet with tcp, I'll send some literature on this too.

>8.  Has CBM got on the "discounts to educational facilities" bandwagon
>	yet?  How's the new management planning on treating educational people?

Ask them, There is an educational discount program already set up.
GfxBase also has a site license program for X11 on the Amiga.

>9.  FPU capabilites.  Does the '030 card from CBM support an FPU?  How
>	about the '020 based Amigas?
yup , it would be dumb for anyone to build a board without such cpability.

And that's about it.  Thx for all the help.
--
Good ole' boys,               J. Eric Townsend
tellin' lies,            unet!sugar!flatline!erict com6@uhnix1.uh.edu