[comp.sys.amiga] X-windows and Amigas

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (08/21/89)

A little background, then on to the questions for the net.
I've just been hired as a systems admin (aka research assistant) for
UofH Math Deptartment's new computer lab.  One of the things I get to
do is help pick equipment to be used in the lab.  (Yea!)
Dr. Scott (da boss :- ) has on his list "X-window terminals".  I
suggested looking for cheap micros that did X-windows, "like the
Amiga."  I've seen beta-test related messages about X for the Amiga,
but don't know where it is now.  Having seen the sky-high prices
that Tek and other folk want for their x dumb terminals, I think
the Amiga could be a wise decision.  The terminals will be
used in conjunction with SparcStations and/or DEC MIPS and/or RT's;
probably a Masscomp; postscript laser printer stuff and ethernet (if
the terminals can do ethernet).

*Please* reply via email, and I'll summarize to the net.

Questions:
1.  Is there a usable (I think gamma release would be fine if the price
is right :-) X-windows for the Amiga?  What sort of bugs still exist?

2.  If so, what're the minimum system requirements?

3.  Just to make sure -- Will an Amiga talk over a 9600bps modem
and do X with no wierd problems or slowdowns?

4.  If available, what are the specs on Amiga's X-windows? (display
size in pixels, # of colors, any sort of benchmark information)

5.  Is Matlab available for the Amiga?

6.  How well do the various GNU products work on the Amiga?  We're
	interested in g++ (or a good c++ language) in particular.

7.  Networking.  What's available and *good*?

8.  Has CBM got on the "discounts to educational facilities" bandwagon
	yet?  How's the new management planning on treating educational people?

9.  FPU capabilites.  Does the '030 card from CBM support an FPU?  How
	about the '020 based Amigas?

10. Will educational institutions be added to the "who gets UNIX" list,
	or will they have to wait along with the rest of the peons? :-)

Wow.  Lookit all those questions.
Thx 1e6.  (It's so nice having a job. :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend                   Johnny Lydon *IS* the next
uunet!sugar!flatline!erict           incarnation of The Doctor..

suther@novavax.UUCP (Scot M. Sutherland) (08/25/89)

In article <2348@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Questions:
>1.  Is there a usable (I think gamma release would be fine if the price
>is right :-) X-windows for the Amiga?  What sort of bugs still exist?

It's more than gamma, it's production.  Call Dale Luck at GFX
Base.  He'll be able to tell you all you need to know about the
Amiga and X.  (408) 262-1469

Dale also knows just about everything there is to know about
Amiga nad networking.  I think that you'll be very impressed.
It's faster than Sun's 386i by 300%.

>7.  Networking.  What's available and *good*?

>8.  Has CBM got on the "discounts to educational facilities" bandwagon
>	yet?  How's the new management planning on treating educational people?

We have just purchased 6 Amigas from Commodore based on their new
education policy.  We got unbelievable prices.  Ours prices were
special just for us, but if they are any indication, Commodore
has *FINALLY* decided that education is an important marketing
tool.  Call Commodore in West Chester and ask for Howard Diamond.
He's the new education man.

They might tell you that networking is not ready yet.  What they
mean is that Commodore's networking is not ready yet.  Talk to
Dale Luck about networking.  Talk to Howard about the Amigas.

>9.  FPU capabilites.  Does the '030 card from CBM support an FPU?  How
>	about the '020 based Amigas?

I'm using the Amiga 2500 with the '020 card math coprocessor, 3
meg etc.  I have also used Mac SE 20 and 30.  The Amiga 2500 with the
fast file system blows them away.  Our cost from Century
Computer Systems in La Habra was $3350.  If the pricing I'm
hearing about now holds true, Commodore education will do better
by quite a bit.

>10. Will educational institutions be added to the "who gets UNIX" list,
>	or will they have to wait along with the rest of the peons? :-)

Who knows?#! :^)

>Thx 1e6.  (It's so nice having a job. :-)
>--
>J. Eric Townsend                   Johnny Lydon *IS* the next

Scot M. Sutherland

PS  Congrats.  Sounds like fun!