[comp.sys.amiga] How to measure disk speed

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (08/08/89)

I have a Quantum 80S, Supra 4x4 controller on my A1000.  I wanted disk
performance figures and so I ran diskperf3.0 and perftest.  With diskperf
I get between 200K/sec reads and 90K/sec writes all the way up to 280K/sec
reads and 150K/sec writes.  Perftest results were 200K/sec reads and
85K/sec writes.

What is the purpose for having the multiple buffer runs in diskperf?
If I want to gain the greatest speed am I supposed to up my buffers in the
mountlist (or SupraEdit screen)?  I don't want to waste 32K for a large
buffer for such a small increase.

When Supra quotes 326K/sec (on the A500 interface in their full page ads in
AmigaWorld) do they use disperf or what?  I assume they kludge it to get
the best results (buffers = 100K?!? maybe).

A question for Supra owners: has anyone tried to up the MaxTransfer value?
The Supra software sets it to 64K, but I believe a larger number (or none if
possible) would provide faster performance.  Is it reliable?

Thanks for listening to my rambles.

	"Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
John Lindwall				 johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (08/10/89)

From article <473@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM:, by johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall):
: When Supra quotes 326K/sec (on the A500 interface in their full page ads in
: AmigaWorld) do they use disperf or what?  I assume they kludge it to get
: the best results (buffers = 100K?!? maybe).

	They're either using Diskperf or Diskperf2. Note that Diskperf2
*does* give higher values than the original Diskperf. Diskperf2 also does
a speed check with 256K buffers... I imagine they're also testing with the
2 meg memory board onboard also. You will get better speeds with real fast
mem than your will with just c00000 mem and chip mem...

: A question for Supra owners: has anyone tried to up the MaxTransfer value?
: The Supra software sets it to 64K, but I believe a larger number (or none if
: possible) would provide faster performance.  Is it reliable?

	I played with that for a while several months ago. You get slightly
better speeds with slightly larger MaxTrans, but not significant improvements.
The 64K MaxTrans is in their because their DMA card for the 2000 needs it,
and they use the same software for all their cards. Feel free to change
the MaxTrans on your 1000 to whatever you want.

: Thanks for listening to my rambles.
:
:
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

In <12218@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, willieb@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Willie Brown) writes:
>As to MaxTransfer, yes you could bump it up to 128K or even 256K and get
>some performance boost on the larger file transfers.  Frankly, unless
>you do extensive work with very large files or spend your days writing
>benchmark programs, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.  As to
>the low side, I've never seen anybody set MaxTransfer lower than 4K.
>I just don't know what the file system would do with a drive that had
>no MaxTransfer.

There is no advantage to setting a value for MaxTransfer unless the driver you
are using is incapable of handling large read or write requests. MaxTransfer
tells the file system not to try requesting more than the number of bytes
specified.

Leaving out the MaxTransfer altogether lets the filesystem request any amount
of data, which is the way the machine is supposed to work. The filesystem will
request data in the largest amounts it can, which is determined by it knowing
that the next data it needs is contained on a number of _consecutive_ blocks.

As a general observation, anyone who uses any significant programs is, by
definition, 'working with large files'. DPaint, AmigaBasic, and so on, are all
fairly large files in themselves. If you let the filesystem do its thing, your
performance will be maximized.

So, as a company that produces hard drive subsystems, _PLEASE_ do not specify a
MaxTransfer value unless your driver cannot handle large requests.

-larry

--
begin 777 .signature
M268@>6]U(&1O;B=T('-E92!T:&ES('-E;G1E;F-E+"!Y;W4@<VAO=6QD('-EB

willieb@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Willie Brown) (08/25/89)

In Article:
>From: johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall)
>Subject: How to measure disk speed
>Date: 8 Aug 89 01:40:09 GMT

>I have a Quantum 80S, Supra 4x4 controller on my A1000.  I wanted disk
>performance figures and so I ran diskperf3.0 and perftest.  With diskperf
>I get between 200K/sec reads and 90K/sec writes all the way up to 280K/sec
>reads and 150K/sec writes.  Perftest results were 200K/sec reads and
>85K/sec writes.

Clark in Tech Support replys:
The benchmark program we use at Supra is DiskPerf2.  I haven't run any
comparisons with DiskPerf3, but I have been told the results are fairly
close.  As for the original DiskPerf, it was not very accurate and it
didn't properly release some of the locks it obtained from AmigaDOS.

Perftest is not testing just disk performance, but disk performance as
it is effected by overscan.  When you compare Perftest results with
DiskPerf2 results, you may be comparing apples and oranges.

>When Supra quotes 326K/sec (on the A500 interface in their full page ads in
>AmigaWorld) do they use disperf or what?  I assume they kludge it to get
>the best results (buffers = 100K?!? maybe).

As to the discrepancy between your benchmarks and ours, we are only
about 15% apart.  So that we can consistently replicate our
results, we make every effort not to kludge anything.  We always
benchmark using a drive that has been freshly formatted with the
DEFAULT parameters and divided into two equal partitions.  We run
our test on the second partition, which always starts out empty.
We keep the number of additional task running to those that are
started from a standard 1.3 Startup-Sequence, plus SupraMount.
We redirect the output of our benchmark to a new file in the RAM
disk.  We don't do anything to the system while the benchmark is
running, including moving the mouse or clicking a button.

>What is the purpose for having the multiple buffer runs in diskperf?
>If I want to gain the greatest speed am I supposed to up my buffers in the
>mountlist (or SupraEdit screen)?  I don't want to waste 32K for a large
>buffer for such a small increase.

As to buffers, this is a common point of confusion.  There are two
distinctly separate types of buffers that are called into play when
doing a benchmark.  The first are the cache buffers that are created
when the drive is mounted, and that are maintained by AmigaDOS.
These buffers speed up accesses when repeatedly reading or writing
to the same few (number of buffers) sectors.  These are the same
sectors effected by the AddBuffers command in the 'c' directory.

The buffers referred to by benchmark programs are not AmigaDOS cache
buffers.  Rather, these are contiguous read or write buffers that
are allocated and freed by the benchmark, and whose address is passed
to AmigaDOS when the transfer function is called.  As such, you
probably won't see much direct correlation between the number of
cache buffers and size of the buffers used by a benchmark.  Usually
the only thing that improves noticeably when increasing AmigaDOS
buffers past 30 is the number of files that can be deleted per second.
Big deal!

>A question for Supra owners: has anyone tried to up the MaxTransfer value?
>The Supra software sets it to 64K, but I believe a larger number (or none if
>possible) would provide faster performance.  Is it reliable?

As to MaxTransfer, yes you could bump it up to 128K or even 256K and get
some performance boost on the larger file transfers.  Frankly, unless
you do extensive work with very large files or spend your days writing
benchmark programs, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.  As to
the low side, I've never seen anybody set MaxTransfer lower than 4K.
I just don't know what the file system would do with a drive that had
no MaxTransfer.

Regards, Clark
Supra Tech Support

 Willie Brown             Usenet:  willieb@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
 Supra Corp               Phone:   (503) 967-9081 (Tech Support)
 Albany, OR USA           Fax:     (503) 926-9370