[comp.sys.amiga] Guru explanation needed

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (08/20/89)

I need some guru number explanations.

Here's the scenario:  I'm playing w/ my 2 meg A1000 shuffling
           between CLI and WB to look at the several dozen
           PD disks I have.  I'd pop in a disk in df1:
           look at it in WB for nifty things, then in CLI
           for non-WB programs, eject the disk, put in a new
           one and double-click it.  POOF.  The power light
           flashes.  I reset the machine and I get a guru
           number like 00000004.002292A0 or 9030 or 9250.

Now, I'm running GOMF3.0.  I'm assuming that GOMF doesn't
catch these because I've got low-vector checking off.  But
what I want to know is why the system crashes in the first
place and why I get a guru AFTER a reset.

--
------------------------ Signature Version 0.4 ------------------------------

"He's showing signs of pressure-induced psychosis
      and he has a nuclear weapon."
"Raise your hand if you thought that was a
      'Russian water tentacle'."
                                         - The Abyss

Blair "Bear" Burtan, Boston University's Resident Amiga Expert
which isn't saying much.  My opinions blah blah blah...
bear@bucsb.bu.edu   bear@bucsf.bu.edu   bear@buengf.bu.edu
bear@bu-pub.bu.edu  enge05c@buacca.bu.edu

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (08/21/89)

In article <3142@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) writes:

> Here's the scenario:  I'm playing w/ my 2 meg A1000 shuffling
> 	   between CLI and WB to look at the several dozen
> 	   PD disks I have.  I'd pop in a disk in df1:
> 	   look at it in WB for nifty things, then in CLI
> 	   for non-WB programs, eject the disk, put in a new
> 	   one and double-click it.  POOF.  The power light
> 	   flashes.  I reset the machine and I get a guru
> 	   number like 00000004.002292A0 or 9030 or 9250.
>
> Now, I'm running GOMF3.0.  I'm assuming that GOMF doesn't
> catch these because I've got low-vector checking off.  But
> what I want to know is why the system crashes in the first
> place and why I get a guru AFTER a reset.

When you are looking at one of your PD disks, are you by any chance
running Less v1.3 to view some text file(s)?  (The more recent Fish
disks use Less v1.3 as the default tool to run when a doc file icon is
double-clicked.)  The fact that Less v1.3 when used together with GOMF
3.0 can cause a Guru crash has been known by Bob Leivian (the author
of Less v1.3) for some time, but (so far) he hasn't been able to
isolate the exact nature of the problem.

If that is what's happening to you, then you have two choices:

	1.  Always run GOMF 3.0 with low-vector checking enabled.
	2.  Don't run GOMF 3.0 at all.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (08/22/89)

In article <3142@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>--
>------------------------ Signature Version 0.4 ------------------------------

[ 11 lines deleted ]

ANOTHER new person on the net that may not have read the net users intro
material ... most restrict their .signature to 3 or 4 lines because
there are folks around the world who pay good money to have the groups
transmitted (via long distance etc), and another sum of money no doubt
for the "space" it takes to store the articles.  We like to see a high
SIGNAL to noise ratio to justify our investment and long .sig files don't
help.  No matter how amusing something may be, when you have read it once,
its just another bit of bandwidth that could have been better used otherwise.

Thank you for your consideration.  Nuff said.

Rob Peck

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (08/22/89)

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) writes:

>I need some guru number explanations.

>Here's the scenario:  I'm playing w/ my 2 meg A1000 shuffling
>           one and double-click it.  POOF.  The power light
>           flashes.  I reset the machine and I get a guru
>           number like 00000004.002292A0 or 9030 or 9250.

>But what I want to know is why the system crashes in the first
>place and why I get a guru AFTER a reset.

Don't know why the Amiga crashes when swapping disks. There
was mentioned a problem with bad allocation bitmaps that are
marked as valid resulting in "disk corrupt..." requesters.
Another problem might be a corrupted disk.info file. Workbench
isn't very smart in handling these.

The guru AFTER the reset is just ok. If the system can't
show you the alert because of corrupted gfx,intuition or exec
data structures, i.e. exec is trapped during the Alert() routine,
the system reboots and the alert.hook module shows you the last
alert that was initiated. Then it continues with the bootstrap.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/25/89)

In article <3142@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>Here's the scenario:  I'm playing w/ my 2 meg A1000 shuffling between CLI
>and WB to look at the several dozen PD disks I have.  I'd pop in a disk in
>df1:  look at it in WB for nifty things, then in CLI for non-WB programs,
>eject the disk, put in a new one and double-click it.  POOF.  The power
>light flashes.  I reset the machine and I get a guru number like
>00000004.002292A0 or 9030 or 9250.  Now, I'm running GOMF3.0.

Someone else already mentioned the interaction between LESS 1.3 vs GOMF 3.0.
Here is an additional possible cause of a GURU from inserting a disk.

A year ago I received a floppy full of disk copying programs that was booby
trapped.  You could run the programs if you booted from that floppy and knew
what to type at its CLI.  (Typing DIR or LIST produced "This is not a
workbench disk, dummy!".)  Typing "DF1:C/DIR DF0:" produced an instant GURU.
If I rebooted from a disk that did a LOADWB and then inserted that disk,
Workbench went looking for .info files and triggered the guru.  I reformatted
that disk.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms