[comp.sys.amiga] Falcon, SimCity Upgrades

carson@mu.rice.edu (Jim Carson) (08/24/89)

In article <5167@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	I just read about someone selling Falcon with an upgrade, but I
>accidentally deleted the note.  Has anybody gotten an upgrade for Falcon,
>and if so, what is the upgrade?
>
>Russell
The Falcon upgrade, version 1.1, includes only the first disk.  The
new version can be installed on a hard disk and will run on machines
with 680[123]'s.

The upgrade was about $10.00(US), but if you bought "Operation
Counterstrike," one of the mission disks, it was "free."  Total
cost for the two was $24.95(US).  I received my upgrade yesterday
and, as far as I can tell, it works fine.  (This is on an A1000
with a 68010 cpu)

Maxis has released their upgrade of SimCity.  Version 1.1 includes
fixes for the "400K CHIP RAM" problem and several minor bugs.

The SimCity terrain editor is now available.  It includes a
random terrain generator with adjustable parameters.  There
are also a few cities on the disk (Washington DC, New York,
NotSoDullsville, ...).  If anyone is interested in exchanging
cities, please send e-mail.
 Jim Carson                     Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering
 carson@rice.edu                Rice University
 ..!{sun,uunet}!rice!mu!carson  Houston, TX 77252

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (08/25/89)

Speaking of Falcon upgrades,  Does the upgrade make it any easier to control?
(ala interceptor)  Myself and at least three other people I know who bought
the program would love to get into Falcon, but the control of the plane IMHO
sucks!  Sure it's realistic, but give me an option to control it like
interceptor and it will be off my shelves and in my Amiga where it belongs...

-Evan
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (08/25/89)

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) writes:

>Speaking of Falcon upgrades,  Does the upgrade make it any easier to control?
>(ala interceptor)  Myself and at least three other people I know who bought
>the program would love to get into Falcon, but the control of the plane IMHO
>sucks!  Sure it's realistic, but give me an option to control it like
>interceptor and it will be off my shelves and in my Amiga where it belongs...

  Yes, it does.  According to the techies at Spectrum Holobyte, the input
device-handling code was completely re-written.  The craft is much easier to
control than before (more sensitive to the touch).  Joystick operation is
now very feasible.  In addition is an auto-centering mode that is available
that is of great use during very precise engagements.

  As far as I am concerned, the controls of Interceptor are too
simplistic. The over-sensitivity of Interceptor leads me to believe
that it was designed more as an Arcade game than as a
Strategy-Simulation game.  That is not bad; it is just merely a
difference in design ( in my opinion (-8 ). My only other quibble is
that Interceptor still uses those damn 8-bit'ish, "Flight Simulator II"
looking graphics...  Yuck.

  Also in the upgrade you dont have to be a rocket scientist to land the
damn airplane.

 My advice: If you have already bought Falcon, pay the $7.50 for the
upgrade; thats not a whole lot of money for one of the best programs
for the Amiga.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.