[comp.sys.amiga] ConMan 1.3

LARSEN-D@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Poindexter) (04/25/89)

Has anyone had trouble with the close gadget on windows opened by ConMan
1.3?  After a command like: Newcli CON:0/0/640/200/MY-WINDOW/c I get a
normal window with a close gadget.  The window works fine until I click
on the close gadget.  It locks up thereafter.  There are no tasks pending.
Any help would be appreciated.

ph274cc@pyr.gatech.EDU (F3 C. CLEVELAND) (08/18/89)

In article <1989Aug16.134345.1036@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
)I've installed parts of conman 1.3, but not all of it.  Can anybody suggest

Ah, my memory.

Don't use conman 1.3.  It has a bug.  I was bitten by it and subsequently
saw an article in this newsgroup reporting the same problem.  The writer
switched back to 1.2 [or whatever the previous version was called] and had
no further problems.  I did too, and had no further problems.

And what was the problem?  What was the bug?

I don't remember.

But there was one.  I swear there was.  Perhaps someone else out there
remembers.

I am usually chas@gtss.gatech.edu or ...!gatech!gtss!chas but gtss's disk
drive is in pieces all over the lab floor, so until the dust settles
(Literally.  This is not a clean environment.  Oh no!), I'll be here at
ph274cc@pyr.gatech.edu or ...!gatech!pyr!ph274cc

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (08/21/89)

From article <9002@pyr.gatech.EDU>, by ph274cc@pyr.gatech.EDU (F3 C. CLEVELAND):
> In article <1989Aug16.134345.1036@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
> )I've installed parts of conman 1.3, but not all of it.  Can anybody suggest

> Don't use conman 1.3.  It has a bug.  I was bitten by it and subsequently
> saw an article in this newsgroup reporting the same problem.  The writer
> switched back to 1.2 [or whatever the previous version was called] and had
> no further problems.  I did too, and had no further problems.
>
> And what was the problem?  What was the bug?
>
> I don't remember.
>
> But there was one.  I swear there was.  Perhaps someone else out there
> remembers.

I really doubt it. I've been running ComMan 1.3 since its release
without any problem at all. And I don't recall any bug reports here on
Usenet. Also, I'm a paying customer of Bill Hawes (Both Arexx and
WShell) and ConMan 1.3 was shipped with the most current version of both
programs.

I did have one problem with ConMan, the History command didn't work.
Turned out that I had it in two places in my path, and had only replaced
one when I upgraded. Silly me.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

EVERHART%ARISIA.decnet@crdgw1.ge.com (08/26/89)

The initial release of ConMan 1.3 did indeed have a bug (or at least
an incompatibility with Fortran code). Certain sequences generated
by fortran I/O to con: units caused conman 1.3 to generate ^C
breaks and error messages.
   Since ConMan 1.3 release 2 appeared, these problems have gone
away again. I suggest switching to ConMan 1.3 release 2 wherever
possible to avoid some spurious effects...or stick with the Commodore
con: flavor. ConMan 1.3 rel 2 has no problems that I know of.
Glenn Everhart
Everhart%Arisia.decnet@crd.ge.com