[comp.sys.amiga] X Windows on Amiga

jmoore@dtix.arpa (Jim Moore) (01/18/89)

I have been reading the XWindows release notes.....do you
know that the core system is 30M?  There is over
90M of software there!!! (including the supported and unsupported utils).
Question: when does a software interface become TOO big?

   Jim Moore
   jmoore@dtix

   The Navy sinks ships, I have opinions.
   "Uh-oh....the program worked the first time....now what do I do?"
-------

uucigj@swbatl.UUCP (3531) (08/25/89)

I thought that I read some time ago that X windows has been ported to the
Amiga.  I was wondering if someone could varify this?  If this has been
done, and someone has tried it what is it like (speed wise).  Was the
implementation just a X server or both?  It seems that if this has been
done then it would do very well as an X terminal.  Better so, than the
stand alone X terminals, because of the expandability at around the same
price.  I understand that the Amiga by it self is a decent machine, I would
like to see it make it into the business world, at least as a expandable X
terminal (dare I say workstation).  Has this been a thought?

      Gregg Jensen
    These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect my companies.
      Southwestern Bell Telephone
      Send E-MAIL to the following address...
               uucigj@swbatl.sbc.com

kevin@cbmvax.UUCP (Kevin Klop) (08/26/89)

In article <753@swbatl.UUCP> uucigj@swbatl.UUCP (3531) writes:
>I thought that I read some time ago that X windows has been ported to the
>Amiga.  I was wondering if someone could varify this?

It most certainly has been done and is available from GfxBase (Dale Luck).

>If this has been
>done, and someone has tried it what is it like (speed wise).  Was the
>implementation just a X server or both?

I seem to recall that it is both a client and a server, but I may be wrong.

                                -- Kevin --

----------
Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

The number, 111-111-1111 has been changed.  The new number is:
134-253-2452-243556-678893-3567875645434-4456789432576-385972

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

xanthian@well.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (08/26/89)

In article <753@swbatl.UUCP> uucigj@swbatl.UUCP (3531) writes:
=>I thought that I read some time ago that X windows has been ported to the
=>Amiga.  I was wondering if someone could varify this?  If this has been
=>done, and someone has tried it what is it like (speed wise).  Was the
=>implementation just a X server or both?  It seems that if this has been
=>done then it would do very well as an X terminal.  Better so, than the
=>stand alone X terminals, because of the expandability at around the same
=>price.  I understand that the Amiga by it self is a decent machine, I would
=>like to see it make it into the business world, at least as a expandable X
=>terminal (dare I say workstation).  Has this been a thought?
=>
=>
=>      Gregg Jensen
=>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
=>    These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect my companies.
=>      Southwestern Bell Telephone
=>      Send E-MAIL to the following address...
=>               uucigj@swbatl.sbc.com
=>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unix Today, mentions in "X Building Blocks", 10 July 1989, page 6:
(Quoted without permission)

"GfxBase, Milpitas, Calif (408-262-1469), came up with a color X-Window
system for Commodore's Amiga series that coexits with the native windowing
system of the machine's Amigados (sic) operating system.  Color Amiga X11 can
actually run within a pull down screen on the Amiga, the company said.

"The X11.3 implementation supports TCP/IP and DECnet protocols over Ethernet
or a serial line, as well as the Amiga standard local message for local
connections.

"The system uses 5 MBytes of hard disk or NFS partition space, plus 1 MByte
of RAM for the server software that controls a 640 x 400 resolution display.

"Company officials said the product brings X-Windows to one of the
lowest-priced computers in the world.  It has been tested with X clients
running on DEC's VAX, Sun workstations, and Apollo and Hewlett-Packard
equipment, as well as several others, the company said."

Now you know what I know; I hope this helps!

well!xanthian
Kent, the man from xanth, now just another echo from The Well.