[comp.sys.amiga] Idea for software protection

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/26/89)

In article <253@crash.cts.com>, amir@pro-generic.cts.com (Amir Michail) writes:
> Network Comment: to #3198 by jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu
>
> You can't do anything to the customer if you find his copy (with his ID) being
> distributed to others.  The reason is rather simple; pirates can hack
> unprotected versions easily, and hence, an ID system becomes useless.

I don't really understand what you mean. Having cracked my share of C64
programs (I admit it, however maturity has put a stop to this habit. In
actuality I did it more for the challenge then because I wanted to be able to
copy it... most of the time I was able to copy a program with a copy program
anyway. And if any of you people keeping lists out there would like to add me
to it, feel free. I haven't used the 64 in three years, don't know where it is,
and the copyrights on those programs have probably expired anyway. [Well maybe
not but I bet more than half the software companies have gone out of business])
 Anyway back to my point. It is MUCH easier to remove a copy protection system
from a program then to find an ID code and change or remove it. In fact, the
latter is virtually impossible, even with two copies of the program, since a)
the software manufacturer can fill unused sectors on the disk with garbage, b)
the ID will presumably contain some kind of checksum, so changing it will
render the program useless. You wouldn't believe some of the complex procedures
used to hide the copy-protection segment of some of those 64 programs. That was
difficult. But finding and removing an ID number, no way. If the producer is
smart, the pirate would have to go through the entire program with a fine-tooth
comb to get rid of it.

Besides, whether or not they prosecute, people will be MUCH less likely to give
away a copy of a program that they know has an ID number linked to them on it.

--
James A. Treworgy
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu