[comp.sys.amiga] CygnusEd questions

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (01/25/89)

I've been playing around with CygnusEd a little bit lately, and I might
just switch to using it if I can get an answer to this question.  Is there
any was to make the cursor indent automatically when you hit return,
so your code lines up nicely without any fuss?  Also, is there a way of
doing a back-tab?  Other than these two things (and that fact that it's a
memory hog) I really like Cygnus.

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

In <410f8eb1.129dc@blue.engin.umich.edu>, beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:
>I've been playing around with CygnusEd a little bit lately, and I might
>just switch to using it if I can get an answer to this question.  Is there
>any was to make the cursor indent automatically when you hit return,
>so your code lines up nicely without any fuss?  Also, is there a way of
>doing a back-tab?  Other than these two things (and that fact that it's a
>memory hog) I really like Cygnus.

The ENTER key (on the numeric keypad) will do this for you.

Don't know about backtab capability, let alone what you expect it to do. YOu
can use the CTRL <left arrow> to move the cursor back a word at a time.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/30/89)

In article <410f8eb1.129dc@blue.engin.umich.edu> beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:

> doing a back-tab?  Other than these two things (and that fact that it's a
> memory hog) I really like Cygnus.
  ^^^^^^^^^^
Huh?  It takes 180K and that includes the 4-color (2-bit plane)
screen.  I would like to see a 1-bit plane mode, though.  When it
hibernates it reduces itself down to 125K.  That I think could be
improved.  I wouldn't mind if it overlayed some of the code and had an
expunge command (which automatically happened when you hibernate too).

Another nice thing would be to have (as long as it hibernates) is a
mode that hibernated and dumps off a lot of code too.  This would be
very useful for hard drive users.

The last thing I would like is to see the ASDG-low-memory.library
to be used by CED Pro so that if it's hibernating it can kill itself
off when memory is low.

Of course, these are nit-picking items.  It is a full-power editor,
fast, does everything I need it to do (and more), supports ARexx
as well as it's own little IPC protocal.  I couldn't be happier and I
recommend it to anyone that programs.

Are there plans for a CED Pro upgrade?

> Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)
> INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/30/89)

In article beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:
>Is there
>any was to make the cursor indent automatically when you hit return,
>so your code lines up nicely without any fuss?

Shift Return is an autoindent key. The next release will probably allow you
to rebind this directly to the return key.

>  Also, is there a way of doing a back-tab?

What exactly do you mean here?

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/29/89)

I bought CygnusEd Professional a couple of weeks ago, and I've got a few
questions about it.

1) Why does CED trash the Script protection bit? Am I doomed forever to
   editors that are unaware that 1.3 has been released? When can an upgrade
   be expected to fix this bug?

2) Is there any way to keep the file requester from listing useless devices?
   It isn't a whole lot of use to have NULL: PIPE: AUX: SPEAK: CNX: CND:
   PIP: and NEWCON: taking up space in the file requester when they are not
   filesystem devices and contain no files that could be edited. I'd much
   rather have S: DEVS: and other assigns listed like the ARP file requester
   does.

   Also, is there any way to tell the CED file requester that FF0: FF1: and
   FF2: are hard drive partitions and it should replace the "?" with its
   cute little hard drive icon?

3) Is there any way to remap the arrow keys to so that Shift-Arrow moves a
   WORD instead of beginning/end of LINE? Both Conman and TxEd have
   conditioned me to think that this is the way that "THINGS SHOULD BE".

4) Can CED be made to save multiple backups (again like TxEd)? Sure it
   wastes disk space, but it's mine to waste. I deep sixed a file by saving
   it under the wrong name, and I didn't have my safety net to fall on.  :-(

5) Does anyone have some whizzy Arexx macros or CED configurations they'd
   care to share? There's a lot to this editor, and any help learning its
   tricks would be appreciated.

6) Can SnipIt be made to work with CED? Anything I cut from the CED screen
   comes out as garbage.

All in all, I've got to agree with all the rave reviews that CygnusEd Pro
has received. It's an impressive piece of work, and the column block move is
great! I do have one complaint (what, another one? :-) that I haven't seen
mentioned in any review: there is no index in the manual, only a table of
contents. An index would be a real help.

--
Blaine Gardner @ worsel         UUCP: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine
"Nobody will ever need more than 64K."      utah-cs!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/01/89)

In article <0665.AA0665@worsel> blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

> I bought CygnusEd Professional a couple of weeks ago, and I've got a few
> questions about it.

ASDG has announced that a new version is shipping soon (but wisely
didn't say how soon :-) and mentioned that people should send in their
registration cards so that they get the "official news".

> 1) Why does CED trash the Script protection bit? Am I doomed forever to
>    editors that are unaware that 1.3 has been released? When can an upgrade
>    be expected to fix this bug?

The new version fixes this.

>[ a couple file-request questions ]

Yes, the post said that there will be a significantly new file
requester.  Personally, I was impressed with the old one.  I can't
wait for the new one.  I assume most of your wishes will be answered.

> 3) Is there any way to remap the arrow keys to so that Shift-Arrow moves a
>    WORD instead of beginning/end of LINE? Both Conman and TxEd have
>    conditioned me to think that this is the way that "THINGS SHOULD BE".

The new version will let you assign a macro to any key (that was an
artificial limit, they said) so you can make SHIFT-ARROW do what ever
you want.

> 4) Can CED be made to save multiple backups (again like TxEd)? Sure it
>    wastes disk space, but it's mine to waste. I deep sixed a file by saving
>    it under the wrong name, and I didn't have my safety net to fall on.  :-(

I don't know.  I guess with ARexx you could. :-)

> 5) Does anyone have some whizzy Arexx macros or CED configurations they'd
>    care to share? There's a lot to this editor, and any help learning its
>    tricks would be appreciated.

I have some, but they are a bit specific to what I was doing on that day.

> 6) Can SnipIt be made to work with CED? Anything I cut from the CED screen
>    comes out as garbage.

I think they mentioned new clip-board support.  After 1.4 is released
I think we'll see most applications supporting the clipboard a lot more.

>[ rave review and mention of a lack of index ]

Yes, I'm glad I bought it too.  The table of contents is almost as
good as an index, but yes, I'd like to see an index too.

> Blaine Gardner @ worsel       UUCP: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine

Regular disclaimer:  I'm not an employee of ASDG but I'm a satisfied
customer (and I've met Perry).

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (08/04/89)

In article <0665.AA0665@worsel> blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>I bought CygnusEd Professional a couple of weeks ago, and I've got a few
>questions about it.

Thank you.

>1) Why does CED trash the Script protection bit? Am I doomed forever to
>   editors that are unaware that 1.3 has been released? When can an upgrade
>   be expected to fix this bug?

CygnusEd Professional Release is scheduled for release in September. It will
honor the script bit.  It will  also load  a file which is not write enabled
as a read-only view (new feature).  There  are tons of new/improved features
so read on.

>2) Is there any way to keep the file requester from listing useless devices?
>   It isn't a whole lot of use to have NULL: PIPE: AUX: SPEAK: CNX: CND:

Release 2 uses an entirely  redone requester system. All requesters used by
the program including one, two,  and three  valued requesters, the file and
font requester and  the  color  requester  all come from a shared reentrant
library   which   the   authors  will  make   freely  distributable.  Watch
comp.sys.amiga for complete specifications soon.

For example, the file requester  opens at any screen resolution to match the
screen it is opening on, has two completely independent scrolling lists (one
for files,  the  other  for devices), supports multiple selections, has hide
and show wild-carding, can be keyboard driven and a whole lot more.

Yes, you did read correctly above: font requester. CEDPro Release 2 supports
alternate fonts  to  assist  those, for example, with interlaced screens and
flicker-fixers.

>3) Is there any way to remap the arrow keys to so that Shift-Arrow moves a
>   WORD instead of beginning/end of LINE? Both Conman and TxEd have
>   conditioned me to think that this is the way that "THINGS SHOULD BE".

CEDPro Release 2 will allow macros to be bound to *any* key. You may even
use the hard wired meaning of the key within the macro redefining the use
of that key.

>4) Can CED be made to save multiple backups (again like TxEd)? Sure it
>   wastes disk space, but it's mine to waste. I deep sixed a file by saving
>   it under the wrong name, and I didn't have my safety net to fall on.  :-(

CEDPro Release 2, in addition to its safe-saves feature, now supports single
and multiple backups.  Single backups will create a single backup file in T:
which is overwritten  with the  newly saved file each time. Multiple backups
creates a .bak file for every file that is saved.

>5) Does anyone have some whizzy Arexx macros or CED configurations they'd
>   care to share? There's a lot to this editor, and any help learning its
>   tricks would be appreciated.

We're hoping that  others  will share their work as well. We've added some
features to help  make  integration in to various compiler/assembler envi-
ronments easier.  For example:  CEDPro Release 2 now supports Jump-To-Byte
so that Modula 2  compilers which  produce  error messages based upon byte
offsets  can  be  integrated  easily. Second example: CEDPro Release 2 now
promises to store a given file in  contiguous memory terminated by a null.
That means you can ask CEDPro where a source file is in memory, and compile
or assemble it  right  from there. This  will be supported in ArgAsm and is
rumored to be support by Cape.

>6) Can SnipIt be made to work with CED? Anything I cut from the CED screen
>   comes out as garbage.

Probably because CEDPro doesn't use the system routines for rendering text
when rendering Topaz 80.

>All in all, I've got to agree with all the rave reviews that CygnusEd Pro
>has received. It's an impressive piece of work, and the column block move is
>great! I do have one complaint (what, another one? :-) that I haven't seen
>mentioned in any review: there is no index in the manual, only a table of
>contents. An index would be a real help.

Indexes are really hard - even with AmigaTeX - but we'll try again this time.

Some other new features:

Search and Replace mode is now 100 times faster than it used to be.
Alternate fonts can be used (as mentioned above).
Much improved ARexx interface.
Much improved Macro capability. String requesters, for example, can
now be driven from inside macros.
The copyright notice now comes up only when you ask for it.
Replace/Insert/WordWrap/Layout/Etc modes are now shown  on the status line.
Views can be read only.
File protection bits are honored.
Colors can be changed to anything you want when on a custom screen.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

There's now an unlimited per-view undo/redo feature. Nearly every editor
command can be undone and redone as far bask as the beginning of your
edit session (you choose how much memory to allocate for undo/redo).

Find Matching Bracket now stays put insted of jumping back after a second.

There's numerous other new features and improvements but I've touched on
some of the main ones. Hope you like it!

Perry

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry
CIS:  76004,1765 (what was that about ``giggling teenagers''?)

a464@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) (08/24/89)

     Straight from the horse's mouth...

     The new, soon to be released, version will preserve the script bit.

     The new, improved (and in a run time library so that it can be shared)
file requester filters out more devices, can be patched easily to filter out
even more, and let's you scroll through the entire list, including assigned
names.

     The new file requester doesn't put up icons beside the devices, so the ???
icon is not an issue anymore.

     ALL keys can be remapped in the new version, so you can rearrange the
arrow keys to your hearts content.

     Ced can be made to rename the old version of the file to *.bak.

     There will be a ton of Arexx macros on the new release disk.

     I'm not aware of any way of getting snipit to work with Ced.  If the
snipit author has any comments on this, I'd be most interested.

     The new manual will have an index.

     Not bad, seven out of eight.  I'll try for a perfect 100% next time.  I
can't promise any definite release date, but it is going to be very soon.  The
adding of features has stopped, just a matter of bullet proofing and finishing
the manual (including index).

.Bruce Dawson, author of CygnusEd.

In <1412@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:
>>     I'm not aware of any way of getting snipit to work with Ced.  If the
>>snipit author has any comments on this, I'd be most interested.
>
>[ other enhancements]
>
>>.Bruce Dawson, author of CygnusEd.
>
>I use Snipit 1.2 and it works fine with the old CED.  Are you refering to
>the original CED?
>
>Use Snipit with a "y +4" switch.
>
>SNIPIT y +4
>
>This work for me.

Yes, this does work, though there are two problems with it. The first is that
it leaves an unsightly highlighted area on the CEDPro screen. It disappears if
you scroll it off and come back, so it's just a minor annoyance.

The second one is more serious. If you use Snipit a lot (like I do), and if you
have a lot of different offsets to consider, you have to keep changing it to
snip from different windows.

One of the things on my infinitely long 'things to do' list is to implement an
'automatic text finder' for Snipit. It would work something like this...

You click, as usual, and drag. Snipit sees the actul mouse coordinates of the
beginning and ending of the snip. It would 'try' the snip for
comprehensability (is that a word?), and if unsuccessful, would try snips at
different offsets, first in the y direction, then in the x direction. It would
be a little slow, but if the coordinates were set up to default to the normal
offsets, most snips would be just as fast as they are now.

Alternatively, it could look at the actual data on the pixel line corresponding
to the y position of the snip, and do some analysis. Finding 'on' pixels, it
would try for a 'best fit' for characters. Once it found a character it
recognized, it would know the offsets. Again, slower, but only when the offset
was different than normal.

A nice addition would be the ability to doubleclick for a word, tripleclick for
a line, and quadrupleclick for a paragraph.

Sound like a good project for someone? Good... I'll expect to see the beta
version by Friday. :-)

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (08/27/89)

Concerning CygnusEd Pro.....

In article <436@mindlink.UUCP> a464@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) writes:

>     Straight from the horse's mouth...
>even more, and let's you scroll through the entire list, including assigned

[lots of things that will be a nice addition. I know I asked PK lots 'o times
 about a file requester device-filter]

>     I'm not aware of any way of getting snipit to work with Ced.  If the
>snipit author has any comments on this, I'd be most interested.

[ other enhancements]

>.Bruce Dawson, author of CygnusEd.

I use Snipit 1.2 and it works fine with the old CED.  Are you refering to
the original CED?

Use Snipit with a "y +4" switch.

SNIPIT y +4

This work for me.