[comp.sys.amiga] NEC 3D on an Amiga

dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) (08/28/89)

    I am about to buy a 2000 and an NEC 3D Multisync monitor.  I need
to know about any problems with this combination.  In particular:

    1)  How well does this work with interlaced displays, if at all?

    2)  How well is this going to work with the ECS?

    3)  Should I be considering another monitor, I am attached to the
        idea of getting an NEC but I am not religious about it.

    4)  What are the cabling problems, if any?

Thanks in advance.

         Dave Lawson

tj@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R. Johnson) (08/29/89)

In article <420@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) writes:
<
<     I am about to buy a 2000 and an NEC 3D Multisync monitor.  I need
< to know about any problems with this combination.  In particular:
<
<     1)  How well does this work with interlaced displays, if at all?

	Quite well.  There appears to be a little less flicker than on
my Sony KV-1311CR.

<     2)  How well is this going to work with the ECS?

	I don't know.  If someone from CBM would send me the new Denise,
I'd be glad to check it out.  :-)

<     3)  Should I be considering another monitor, I am attached to the
<         idea of getting an NEC but I am not religious about it.

	The Sony 1302 looks nice, but I'm not sure that it will handle
interlace.  The NEC was purchased with the understanding that it could
be returned if it didn't handle interlace.

<     4)  What are the cabling problems, if any?

	The NEC is quite strange. The connector diagrams in the
manual describe several ways to hook up the monitor using the supplied
15-9 pin adaptor.  Each diagram has different assignments for the same
pins.  For example, pin 1 on the IBM PGC diagram is RED, while pin 1
on the IBM VGA diagram is ground.  I followed the IBM PGC diagram:

	NEC 9 pin		Amiga DB-23 (argh!)

1	red			3
2	green			4
3	blue			5
4	composite sync		10
5	no-connection
6	red ground		16
7	green ground		17
8	blue ground		18
9	ground			19

	(Amiga numbers from memory, so look them up to be sure.)

	I had to use a plastic 25 pin ribbon connector, because no
local store carries DB-23's and the metal connectors are too hard to
cut.  The monitor does work with this setup, but has two problems: (1)
for the first 3-5 minutes after power-up it is constantly resizes the
screen, going from full screen to half screen.  Once it warms up it
settles on the full screen.  This sounds like a problem with the cable
or a defect in the monitor.  (2) the monitor is ghosting.  On some
backgrounds the ghosts are barely noticeable, but on bright
backgrounds they can be quite annoying. I think this is a result of
the cable.  I need to get a DB-23 and possibly better wire.

	Ignoring these two problems, the NEC 3d display is excellent.
It is just slightly sharper than my Sony and colors seem a little more
vibrant.  With the adjustments you can even squish the display area to
half size to get rid of the scan lines between pixels.  This results
in a much more pleasant display for text.  (In fact, the squished text looks
almost as good as what I saw on a lowly CBM colt using an enhanced VGA
card. Sigh.)

< Thanks in advance.
<
<          Dave Lawson

	Sure.

		---Todd
		tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

-=-

	---Todd
	tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

news@boulder.Colorado.EDU (News Owner) (08/29/89)

instead (pins 13 and 14 on NEC 3D, pins 11 and 12 on Amiga [I believe]).
From: hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Lee Cameron Hunt)

This may well solve your resizing and ghosting.  Mine works great!

--Lee
(...!boulder!spot!tramp!hunt)

midst@reed.UUCP (Mike Stanfill) (08/29/89)

>In article <420@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) writes:
>(2) the monitor is ghosting.  On some
>backgrounds the ghosts are barely noticeable, but on bright
>backgrounds they can be quite annoying. I think this is a result of
>the cable.

     This is *real* easy to fix.  May even clear up your first problem,
     too.  My 3D would ghost and occasionally blank and make evil sounds
     until I replaced the cable with one which buffered the sync signals
     (HSYNC and VSYNC) - this is easy to do with a 74LS07 if you can cram
     it in the cable hood (so I hear).  Redmond Cable also knows how to
     do this right (but they're $33 bucks).  Picture quality improves
     dramatically.

					Hope this helps,
					-Mike Stanfilll
     "everybody must get cloned"	 midst@reed